The MT-07 Forum

Anyone see this yet?

Evill_Ed

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I wish I "got" flat tracking... I know it produces some of the FASTEST asphalt racers on the planet. Once you learn to "control traction" you ARE fast- period... I just don't know what I'm looking at on the bikes? To me, they all look like the technology of the 1970's? For the record, I KNOW I'm completely WRONG!!! I love the styling of the new Indian flat-tracker replica! I just don't necessarily understand what I'm looking at? I do love the pics though 😎-

• Like 4

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Much like road racers and trials bikes, you are looking at what it takes to do the job sliding sideways at 80 on a dirt track.   The suspension is fairly trick and the geometry specific to the needs.   No need for aerodynamics like a road racer, so it's pretty much bare bonse.  All the bodywork would be a waste and extra weight for the most part.  The technology is there, you just have to know what it is.   Most recent most visible trick is a heavy rear wheel,  adding momentum to the drive for traction on the dirt.   The lack of fly wheel is some of the problem for the street bike based Yamaha DT07 and Kawasaki Ninja 650.  The Indian, being designed specifically for flat track has a huge left side engine cover that allows a big heavy flywheel to aid traction.   

Their motto is "W.O.T. until you see God, then pitch it sideways!"

As for street trackers, this is the best so far:

yamaha-dt-07-street-tracker-ab9t4633.jpg

Edited by klx678
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, FNGFZ07Rider said:

Pretty awesome.  Would love to see if they make a fork conversion for the masses.

Looks like it could just be R1 or R6 forks? Plenty of ways to fit them easily.

10 hours ago, cornerslider said:

I wish I "got" flat tracking... I know it produces some of the FASTEST asphalt racers on the planet. Once you learn to "control traction" you ARE fast- period... I just don't know what I'm looking at on the bikes? To me, they all look like the technology of the 1970's? For the record, I KNOW I'm completely WRONG!!! I love the styling of the new Indian flat-tracker replica! I just don't necessarily understand what I'm looking at? I do love the pics though 😎-

Maybe this will help you to understand, the appearance is always going to be the same whether it's 1970 or 2020 because the name of the game in "Flat Track" is power to weight ratio so they'll always have that stripped down, bare bones appearance. I would bet if you rode one and felt the power, quickness and nimbleness of a 'real' flat track bike you would understand IT aaaand production replicas better. 😉

Beemer