The MT-07 Forum

New San Diego Rider

dutchawj

Hey guys the name is AwJ,

So quick bio, I grew up in big bear but moved to san diego for college. Long story short i now make 3D printed custom head phones.

I grew up riding dirt bikes in the mountains and deserts and last time I really went riding on a motorcycle was 7 years ago. Figured it was time to get on two wheels again.

Just picked up my bike two days ago, had to wait about two weeks to actually get the bike because the dealer was holding it hostage due to the recall. But now I have the bike I am as happy as can be. I have about 150 miles on the bike and loved each and every one of them. Been trying to be a good boy and break the bike in right, but sometimes I cant help my self but to let that throttle rip, hope thats not to bad for the bike...

Any local riders around let me know!!

Peace,
AwJ

Welcome, what part of San Diego do you live in?

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

• Global Moderator

Hi @dutchawj, thanks for joining the club, great to have you here. So what's up with the 'dutch' in your screen name? Do you have Dutch origins?

And no, it's not going to hurt the bike if you whip it every now and then. As long as it is fully warmed up.

• Premium Member

Welcome! Feel free to post pictures and get out there in that nice Southern California weather and enjoy the bike.

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome dutchawj! Glad you joined our little group.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi @dutchawj, thanks for joining the club, great to have you here. So what's up with the 'dutch' in your screen name? Do you have Dutch origins?  
And no, it's not going to hurt the bike if you whip it every now and then. As long as it is fully warmed up.

Thank you, i was born in Holland but grew up here in California, it's my screen name for almost everything.

Good to know about the bike, it is certainly warmed when i do go above 5000 rpm. Also is it normal for the fz to kinda shift hard? the bike tends to clunk into gear.

Thank you, i was born in Holland but grew up here in California, it's my screen name for almost everything.

Good to know about the bike, it is certainly warmed when i do go above 5000 rpm. Also is it normal for the fz to kinda shift hard? the bike tends to clunk into gear.

Mine shifted on the hard side in the beginning but it has smoothed out. If you ever go for a ride out to the east county hit me up, I live on hwy 94 in Boulevard.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

• Global Moderator
Adjusting your chain slack might make it smoother but Yamaha's are known for having somewhat clunky gearshift, at least that's what I have experienced. They are strong though so the clunk is not going to hurt it much. Changing your oil could also make a difference. There are a couple of threads on the subject on this forum. I went for full synthetic and my shifting improved. 

:P Nogmaals, hartelijk welkom op het forum. Ik ben ook in Nederland geboren maar woon al jaren in Canada. En het bevalt me prima. Nederland is te klein en te druk. Ik ben vorig jaar op vakantie geweest naar California en dat lijkt me ook een prima plek om te wonen. We hebben onder andere de Big Sur van San Francisco naar Los Angeles gereden en het was geweldig. 
Het rij seizoen bij jou is in ieder geval een stuk langer dan bij ons. Voorlopig is het voor mij dit jaar voorbij en staat de motor binnen. Ze voorspellen sneeuw komende zondag.
Het gaat je goed, veel plezier hier en als je vragen hebt, dan hoor ik het graag. 

Mine shifted on the hard side in the beginning but it has smoothed out. If you ever go for a ride out to the east county hit me up, I live on hwy 94 in Boulevard.

Gotcha, the guy at the dealership said the same thing. Are there any good riding spots out there?

There are lots of fun roads in the east county. Hwy 94 is an extremely popular road with bikes, in the spring and summer there is a professional photographer set up on the side of the road.
I don't hit up downtown that often, not a fan of traffic.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

Sorry about the delayed reply, been busy on my bike XP

I see, about how often to you have to adjust your chain, i know when it is new it stretches out considerably. I am at 350 miles now I am sure its time for one. I have noticed the shifting smoothing out, not as hard of a clunk. 

So ill admit that i can understand some dutch but only a little bit, i know how to say some stuff but far less then the words i understand. so that being said i have to cheat and use a translator. I have been in the states since i was 1, unfortunately haven't made it a point to learn the language as of yet. but yes the riding weather here in southern California is pretty much year round. in San Diego we get about 10-15 rainy days a year. We are rather spoiled i know XP this is my only method of transportation as of now so i am fortunate to live in a climate like this. 

Well I shall catch you later and will start contributing more and more.

Adjusting your chain slack might make it smoother but Yamaha's are known for having somewhat clunky gearshift, at least that's what I have experienced. They are strong though so the clunk is not going to hurt it much. Changing your oil could also make a difference. There are a couple of threads on the subject on this forum. I went for full synthetic and my shifting improved. 

:P Nogmaals, hartelijk welkom op het forum. Ik ben ook in Nederland geboren maar woon al jaren in Canada. En het bevalt me prima. Nederland is te klein en te druk. Ik ben vorig jaar op vakantie geweest naar California en dat lijkt me ook een prima plek om te wonen. We hebben onder andere de Big Sur van San Francisco naar Los Angeles gereden en het was geweldig. 
Het rij seizoen bij jou is in ieder geval een stuk langer dan bij ons. Voorlopig is het voor mij dit jaar voorbij en staat de motor binnen. Ze voorspellen sneeuw komende zondag.
Het gaat je goed, veel plezier hier en als je vragen hebt, dan hoor ik het graag. 

Archived