The MT-07 Forum

Water pump + stator cover guards - best budget options?

limenuke

tl;dr - Please suggest the best water pump + stator cover guards for cheap that aren't those chinese eBay ones.

Long story:

I found a thread on fz09 forums that the ebay water pump + stator covers you see are prone to leakage as the fluid creeps up the threads and leaks out.

On the OEM configuration, the bolts for the covers have a flange that seals against the surface of the water pump  and engine stator covers.

I'm motivated to learning a lot of the riskier stuff (I go to a parking lot to practice on weekends) and I've already downed my bike from leaning too hard in a turn and washing out. Broke the el-cheapo sliders that came on my bike from previous owner. I'm highly interested in buying stuff that will protect the important goodies like my stator cover and my water pump cover - which both already have scrapes on them.

If you have any suggestions on good, budget covers, please send them my way!

• Like 2

I don’t believe there is a best one for cheap. You could go for engine covers like R&G, GB Racing, Yoshimura (very nice but pricey!), or you could bolt on a crash protection cage.

I have this cheapie on the left side, if you pair it up with the R&G case saver for the right side it would give overall decent protection for the total price:

CS834.jpg

"Oggy Case Savers provide additional protection to motorcycles with protruding or vulnerable engine cases. Used in conjunction with Oggy Knobbs and Axle Oggys to ensure maximum...

The only crash cage I can consistently find with decent reviews is the impaktech and maybe the higdonion ones. They're 400+tax+shipping though. Ouch. 

Just now, limenuke said:

The only crash cage I can consistently find with decent reviews is the impaktech and maybe the higdonion ones. They're 400+tax+shipping though. Ouch. 

A broken motor is much more. Just get good ones and rock on.

Good,

rg_racing_yamaha_fz-07_15-17_engine_case

Purchase the R&G Racing Yamaha FZ-07 / MT-07 2015-2019 2-Piece Engine Case Cover Kit from SportbikeTrackGear.com Get the lowest price, free shipping deal, easy exchanges and no restocking fees - Guaranteed!

Best,

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/yoshimura-yamaha-fz-07-15-17-works-edition-case-savers/

• Premium Member

The Higdionin cages are pretty top notch, I have seen pictures of the cage hold up to various types of crashes...

I personally avoid the typical frame sliders that are just single bolt type...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

5 hours ago, limenuke said:

I have these and very much like them. I lowsided once and had zero damage to the bike. I mean, it slid across the road and down in to a ditch. Boogered up a barend mirror, but you expect those to be prone. Had a lady in Alabama back in to my bike one night. The tire of her pickup was off the ground and sitting on my cage. Pretty sure my bike would've died that night if not for the cage. 

$225 to your door. Cheaper than most of the plastic cover kits that bolt to the other bits they are supposed to be protecting. Not that composite covers don't work, but if one happens to shatter...I dunno, I just like cages. The weight is so far down you don't feel it and, personally, I think they look tough. 

Coupled with an SW Motech Street rack, the bike is almost wearing an exoskeleton. Can see the rust from the lowside.slide where I've yet to fix the powdercoat.

https://i.imgur.com/QP3ehdt.jpg

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, shinyribs said:

I have these and very much like them. I lowsided once and had zero damage to the bike. I mean, it slid across the road and down in to a ditch. Boogered up a barend mirror, but you expect those to be prone. Had a lady in Alabama back in to my bike one night. The tire of her pickup was off the ground and sitting on my cage. Pretty sure my bike would've died that night if not for the cage. 

$225 to your door. Cheaper than most of the plastic cover kits that bolt to the other bits they are supposed to be protecting. Not that composite covers don't work, but if one happens to shatter...I dunno, I just like cages. The weight is so far down you don't feel it and, personally, I think they look tough. 

Coupled with an SW Motech Street rack, the bike is almost wearing an exoskeleton. Can see the rust from the lowside.slide where I've yet to fix the powdercoat.

Are they any hinderance to basic maintenance? Would they need removed for throttle body balancing for example?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
cornerslider

I'm a fan of the T-Rex sliders. They're $119.95 for a set.  I put them on everything I own: www.t-rex-racing.com 

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

14 hours ago, shinyribs said:

https://i.imgur.com/QP3ehdt.jpg

This looks like a huge deal! I'm sure they would hinder maintenance a bit, but would be useful for everything else. I also wonder if I can use my woodcraft slider in conjuntion with this, since it seems like it doesn't quite give the upper protection that a slider might.

5 hours ago, DewMan said:

Are they any hinderance to basic maintenance? Would they need removed for throttle body balancing for example?

No issues to date. I can access the oil fill just fine. Tbody synch I pop the tank off, so I go through the top anyway. I can get the countershaft cover off for cleaning the the cage easily. 

Unless you actually need to go inside the motor and are removing the side covers, the cage doesn't interfere. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, limenuke said:

If you've already got an upper slider it can't hurt to use it. The only way the slider will touch the ground is if the handlebar snaps off or collapses. Like I said, I've slid the bike in to a ditch and been parked on top of- not a single scratch on the bike. Only thing that hit the ground was the cage and my barends. Well, that's not true...the footpeg got a little scuffed, too. 

When I get in I'll lay the bike down and take a picture.

2hibwLX.jpg

Post with 0 votes and 90 views.

@Dewman, see the silver plates that attach the foot controls to the frame? You can remove the with the cage in place, so popping the swingarm/rear suspension is not hindered. Of course, the whole front end and radiator is accessible as well. I think pulling the whole engine or changing the clutch would be the only reason for needing to remove the cage. Hope that clarifies. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shinyribs said:

If you've already got an upper slider it can't hurt to use it. The only way the slider will touch the ground is if the handlebar snaps off or collapses. Like I said, I've slid the bike in to a ditch and been parked on top of- not a single scratch on the bike. Only thing that hit the ground was the cage and my barends. Well, that's not true...the footpeg got a little scuffed, too. 

When I get in I'll lay the bike down and take a picture.

Right. My concern is more that once the cage is on, the slider hardware won't be able to fit anymore because of a different height of mounting surface.

I'm not affiliated with these cages or trying to convince anyone they are the best thing going! But here's some visuals that may help others decide if they are a good purchase for their own needs. 

The engine is well buried behind tubing. 

rzypkfN.jpg

Regardless of which way the bars are turned the tank plastics won't touch the ground, let alone the engine. Footpeg and exhaust touches down- basically inevitable. Radiator, brake pedal and shifter linkage are in the clear. 

VYNXSQE.jpg

7Ijf1l1.jpg

Oil fill access. 

Umneu81.jpg

• Like 2