The MT-07 Forum

MIRRORS--WANT SOME THAT WORK

wrxer

The stock FZ mirrors are the most worthless items ever to grace a motorcycle.  Any good alternatives.  I do not want bar end mirrors.  I do not want adapters,  I've tried them.  I used the mirrors from my KTM most of the life of my FZ but now I am selling the KTM so they had to go back.  I reinstalled the stock mirrors & was reminded how much they suck.  I am searching but all I find is bar end mirror info--not interested.

Please dear god someone help this man. I'm in the same boat, I do not want bar end mirrors, but I need something else besides the OEM ones apparently. Crap swiveling mirrors always folding in on me.

• Haha 1

TheAbhartach

Puig makes several different options that are not bar-end mounted. I have never used any of them (or any Puig products) so I can't speak to how useful they are. By my count they have 11 options that aren't bar-end mounted. Here's a link: 

Cases, turn signals, levers, screens, windshields... Discover here all the products, accessories and tuning for motorcycles, developed by Puig. Welcome!

• Like 1

I just found these on amazon. They almost look like stock mirrors and apparently the lens is convex to widen your view of what's behind you which should be a plus. GL. They're $ 24.99 and by ISSYAUTO. I forgot to mention, I can't vouch for them, I use CRG "Lane Splitters" but people that bought them did give them a good rating.

I can't get the link to post here correctly but just copy/paste this into amazons search bar and it should come up. If any trouble with it let me know.

>  Motorcycle Mirrors Rear View Fits Yamaha FZ 07 FZ 09 10MM Mirrors For Yamaha FZ07 FZ09 XSR900 XSR700 Mirrors  <

• Like 1

Beemer

You want mirros you can actually see behind you or for looks?

Had some Puigs they were way too small (and the stupid allen bolts kept on getting stripped).

Ended up getting a 3 sets of these. Dont use the handlebar mounts they are trash. The mirror pivot is strong though... 

And you can actually see cars behind you!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085TKJ5E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Kyuzo

The skinny shaft mirrors Honda used on the 1983-85 Nighthawk 650.  Not very trick, but almost disappear with the bike sitting still.  They are my favorite road bike mirrors.  Problem is sourcing them.    No longer available from Honda.    A good size mirror, long enough shaft to see behind.   If you can find a set used, nice mirrors. 

9f46c8cacf23bc6d464b551950738268.jpg 

Look at the mirrors, disregard the bike.  I have a set I had on a Nighthawk S, then on a Zephyr 550, and will possibly use them on the XSR.  I do like how they don't stick out like the CNC or fat tube mirrors.

Emgo does their copy, but a fatter shaft and probably a plastic shell that will break.  I think I did some on my old Moto Guzzi.  I have done this style, but they don't reach very far out:

ZZ76116_A_V1.jpg

Inexpensive.

May not be really pretty, but that kind of mirror, especially the Honda set, have a good field of vision and reach.  Heck the Honda set could actually be bent a bit since they are solid.

Otherwise hit ebay and see what shows up to trip your trigger.

Found these on ebay

s-l400.jpg

•Bolt Size: 10mm. •Fit all motorcycles or bike's if it uses standard 10mm Mount. •Mirrors Color: Clear. •Mirrors Size: 6-1/8"(L) x...

Edited by klx678
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought a used 2017 FZ07 that had no mirrors. I think the bike looks better without mirrors but I prefer being able to see what's behind me. Plus I needed mirrors on the bike to get it to pass inspection.

So I bought a pair of the OEM-style mirrors from Amazon after seeing them mentioned in this thread by Beemer and scat2me (Thanks guys!). Although not exact clones of the OEM version, they did look very similar to the ones on the new 2020 MT-07 that was sitting on the floor at my local Yamaha dealership. Mirror size and shape looked like a perfect match but the hardware was slightly different. The Amazon versions come with small risers, one with a reverse thread, enabling the universal mirrors to be used on Yamaha bikes where the right mirror mount threads are opposite of the left.

I put them on my bike and they work well. They're stable and convex enough to see if there's a car beside or behind me but they buzz a bit too much at highway speeds to determine if that car has police lights on it or not.

In terms of build quality, I'd say they are really well made and well worth the small price tag. In fact, the mounting hardware and posts are surprisingly solid for an accessory in this price range. The mirror portions themselves, however, do not mount to the posts as solidly as the OEM mirrors do, but this has not created any problems for me.

By the way, I bought them for $24.95 (with free Amazon Prime shipping) a week ago but notice the price has jumped to $26.95 since then. Coronavirus-related surge pricing perhaps?

Here's some pix in case you're interested. The POV shot was taken from my eye position while I was seated on the bike with my hands holding the camera. When my hands are on the handlebar, about 20% of the view is obstructed by my arms, so to see directly behind me I have to lean my head a couple of inches to one side or the other.

IMG_1456 copy.jpg

IMG_1457 copy.jpg

IMG_1460 copy.jpg

• Like 2

Amazon currently shipping only life sustaining items, rest in waiting pattern.

Current wait is end of April. (estimated)

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

Amazon currently shipping only life sustaining items, rest in waiting pattern.

Current wait is end of April. (estimated)

FYI: This may be area specific. Orders in my area are delayed but I ordered nonessentials (network switch and CAT6 cables) yesterday and I should have them by Friday.

I was also able to snipe a pre-order on some TP from Amazon as well, before it went "unavailable" within seconds,  that's estimated to be here by April 10th.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• 3 months later...

Fixed.  Some Triumph mirrors + some Oxford adaptors to get all the threads to jive & I have a great rear view & doesn't look too bad from the front either...especially since my bike is silver anyway.  Mirrors are heavy with no vibes at all.

thtrttt.JPG

trhtrh.JPG

• Like 2

Had these so long I couldn't remember who's they were.  Had to find them again.

35747.jpeg

Our mirror extenders leave a clean stock look while extending the mirrors two inches. Get a factory look and see behind you!   Fits all Yamaha mirrors as pictured including FZ-07, FZ-09, FJ-09,...

I can only comment on what I use. As said been on there for ever, work great, can see behind me fine.  If your mirrors are moving in the wind they need tightened.

Still love them.

There are other cheaper, similar ones on Ebay.

• Like 1

FZ07R WaNaB
22 hours ago, Devilman said:

I bought these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KLOY6GI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They work very well and it is cheap to try out.

I use these too, and they work great especially inconjunction with blind spot mirrors. I never need to turn my head to see whats behind me. No more elbows only, and the main mirror allows me to see what's coming from a distance, and the blind spot mirrors allow me to see my blind spot (duh).

Here's a link to Amazon with available extenders. Trying this for $20 makes a lot of sense before upping the cash for more expensive bar end mirrors, unless of course you prefer that look.

https://www.amazon.com/Mirror-Extender-Adaptor-Adapter-Reverse/dp/B07F13839W/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=fz-07+mirror+extender&qid=1593609981&s=automotive&sr=1-2

You can easily see the extenders and the blind spot mirrors in this pic

IMG_1303.JPG

I bought these extenders that a guy made for his FJ09. They fit FZ-07 and look stock. They don't add any additional vibration other than the little mirror blur you get high up in the Rev range. The extra length puts the mirrors right where you need them so you're not looking at your elbows. Solved the issue for me. I'm 5'8" with what I think are normal length arms.

35747.jpeg

Our mirror extenders leave a clean stock look while...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 8:37 AM, peteinpa said:

Had these so long I couldn't remember who's they were.  Had to find them again.

35747.jpeg

Our mirror extenders leave a clean stock look while extending the mirrors two inches. Get a factory look and see behind you!   Fits all Yamaha mirrors as pictured including FZ-07, FZ-09, FJ-09,...

I can only comment on what I use. As said been on there for ever, work great, can see behind me fine.  If your mirrors are moving in the wind they need tightened.

Still love them.

There are other cheaper, similar ones on Ebay.

I tried to tighten my left side mirror as it was always rotating in the wind or at freeway speeds. I ground down a 10mm  socket to fit in on the nut under the cap above the pivot point. As soon as I tried to tighten it the top of the shaft snapped right off. After that I could see the shaft was indeed threaded but the nut was locked at the top where it was peened over so the nut could not be removed. There was a spring under the nut to create tension on the tapered shaft for the resistance to move. I ended up just removing the spring and re-threading the shaft and adding washers to effectively lock the joint. Working so far but I would love to find a set of stock mirrors to try and get that nut moving to adjust the tension while still allowing movement if someone walks into the mirror in my garage or something like that.

I stand corrected.  You can't tighten them. Hope mine keep behaving.

On 3/23/2020 at 12:04 AM, D.A. said:

IMG_1456 copy.jpg

IMG_1460 copy.jpg

Dude, I love that color! Do you know what it's called? Metallic sky blue? XD

4 hours ago, jhoffa said:

Dude, I love that color! Do you know what it's called? Metallic sky blue? XD

Glad you like it! I think the color works really well with the styling of this bike.

Yamaha calls the color Glacier Blue. It was one of three 2017 US model choices. Glacier Blue is the name Yamaha's marketing department used but the official name is ColorRite 1221 Pale Blue Metallic J (PBMJ). I have not been able to figure out what the "J" stands for. Japan perhaps.

I had been on the lookout for a used FZ07 in this color. Before finding mine, I almost bought a used FZ07 in a different color – with my plan being to replace the existing plastics with Glacier Blue plastics since the parts are not very expensive. You can buy the 3 OEM blue tank cover parts and the 2 blue fender parts brand new for $187 (plus shipping) from PartShark . com.  That's pretty darned cheap! And I figured I could recoup half of that amount by selling the no-longer-needed body parts on eBay or here on FZ07.org.

I peeled the tank stickers off of mine 'cause I think it looks cleaner. Here are photos of the Glacier Blue model with and without stickers:

5e1cedaeb7c8df0ff874195a.jpg

My FZ IMG_0940 CROP.jpg

Edited by D.A.
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
16 hours ago, D.A. said:

I peeled the tank stickers off of mine 'cause I think it looks cleaner. Here are photos of the Glacier Blue model with and without stickers:

Yep, the stickers they try to pass off as "graphics" cheapen the bike IMO. 

On my  US '17 07 in Rapid Red it only had minimal stickers on it but I still removed it all. Looks so much cleaner without it. Unless you're familiar with the Yamaha tuning fork logo you wouldn't even know what brand my bike is. I also pulled the branding sticker off of my Akra-Ti exhaust before installing it. I buffed out the silk screened logo off my Shad side cases too.  Besides not liking the looks of branding, the companies aren't paying me to be a rolling billboard, especially at the high end prices of a lot of these mods.

In case you can't tell, I'm a fan of your removal. 😄

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

On 7/19/2020 at 2:53 PM, D.A. said:

Glad you like it! I think the color works really well with the styling of this bike.

Yamaha calls the color Glacier Blue. It was one of three 2017 US model choices. Glacier Blue is the name Yamaha's marketing department used but the official name is ColorRite 1221 Pale Blue Metallic J (PBMJ). I have not been able to figure out what the "J" stands for. Japan perhaps.

I had been on the lookout for a used FZ07 in this color. Before finding mine, I almost bought a used FZ07 in a different color – with my plan being to replace the existing plastics with Glacier Blue plastics since the parts are not very expensive. You can buy the 3 OEM blue tank cover parts and the 2 blue fender parts brand new for $187 (plus shipping) from PartShark . com.  That's pretty darned cheap! And I figured I could recoup half of that amount by selling the no-longer-needed body parts on eBay or here on FZ07.org.

That's awesome man; sweet bike. I'm gonna check out partshark. Do you have a direct link to the blue tank covers? 

Edited by jhoffa

No problem @jhoffa. Here you go!

The OEM tank covers and front fender parts for the 2017 FZ07 in Glacier Blue can be found at the following links. The microfiche lists parts for 3 different color codes: Glacier Blue (PBMJ), Rapid Red (VRC1) and Mat Silver (MS1). Make sure to select parts with "PBMJ" in the name.

Here are the main 2 microfiche pages showing exploded views, followed by direct links to the specific parts you'd need. I've also indicated Part Shark's prices, which are significantly discounted compared to MSRP and in my experience, lower than any other OEM parts dealer.

Shop online for OEM Fuel Tank 2 parts that fit your 2017 Yamaha FZ07 (FZ07HCL), search all our OEM Parts or call at 877-999-5686

$54.64 • Ref# 1 • Cover, Side 1 UR FOR PBMJ • 1WS-24129-00-PD (left side of tank)
https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/p/yamaha/1ws-24129-00-pd/cover-side-1

$54.64 • Ref# 21 • Cover, Side 2 UR FOR PBMJ • 1WS-24139-00-PD (right side of tank)
https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/p/yamaha/1ws-24139-00-pd/cover-side-2

$29.36 • Ref# 40 • Cover, Top UR FOR PBMJ • 1WS-2171A-00-PD (top center of tank)
https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/p/yamaha/1ws-2171a-00-pd/cover-top

AND:

Shop online for OEM Fender parts that fit your 2017 Yamaha FZ07 (FZ07HCL), search all our OEM Parts or call at 877-999-5686

$24.25 • Ref# 12 • Stay, Fender 1 UR FOR PBMJ • 1WS-21513-00-PE (left side of fender)
https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/p/yamaha/1ws-21513-00-pe/stay-fender-1

$24.25 • Ref# 15 • Stay, Fender 2 UR FOR PBMJ • 1WS-21514-00-PE (right side of fender)
https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/p/yamaha/1ws-21514-00-pe/stay-fender-2

¡Buena suerte!

Edited by D.A.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, D.A. said:

No problem @jhoffa. Here you go!

The OEM tank covers and front fender parts for the 2017 FZ07 in Glacier Blue can be found at the following links. The microfiche lists parts for 3 different color codes: Glacier Blue (PBMJ), Rapid Red (VRC1) and Mat Silver (MS1). Make sure to select parts with "PBMJ" in the name.

Here are the main 2 microfiche pages showing exploded views, followed by direct links to the specific parts you'd need. I've also indicated Part Shark's prices, which are significantly discounted compared to MSRP and in my experience, lower than any other OEM parts dealer.

Shop online for OEM Fuel Tank 2 parts that fit your 2017 Yamaha FZ07 (FZ07HCL), search all our OEM Parts or call at 877-999-5686

$54.64 • Ref# 1 • Cover, Side 1 UR FOR PBMJ • 1WS-24129-00-PD (left side of tank)
https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/p/yamaha/1ws-24129-00-pd/cover-side-1

$54.64 • Ref# 21 • Cover, Side 2 UR FOR PBMJ • 1WS-24139-00-PD (right side of tank)
https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/p/yamaha/1ws-24139-00-pd/cover-side-2

$29.36 • Ref# 40 • Cover, Top UR FOR PBMJ • 1WS-2171A-00-PD (top center of tank)
https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/p/yamaha/1ws-2171a-00-pd/cover-top

AND:

Shop online for OEM Fender parts that fit your 2017 Yamaha FZ07 (FZ07HCL), search all our OEM Parts or call at 877-999-5686

$24.25 • Ref# 12 • Stay, Fender 1 UR FOR PBMJ • 1WS-21513-00-PE (left side of fender)
https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/p/yamaha/1ws-21513-00-pe/stay-fender-1

$24.25 • Ref# 15 • Stay, Fender 2 UR FOR PBMJ • 1WS-21514-00-PE (right side of fender)
https://www.partshark.com/oemparts/p/yamaha/1ws-21514-00-pe/stay-fender-2

¡Buena suerte!

Brother you're a Legend!

• Like 1

On 7/20/2020 at 8:48 AM, DewMan said:

Besides not liking the looks of branding, the companies aren't paying me to be a rolling billboard, especially at the high end prices of a lot of these mods.

Yeah, @DewMan, the FZ07 tank stickers looked too cheesy to me.

Also, traditionally, I haven't liked wearing clothing that has a lot of branding on it. But I revamped all of my riding apparel a while back, eschewing textiles altogether and opting for leather-only after low-siding and shredding up my right knee.

By a twist of fate I stumbled on RST, a British brand that's big in the UK and WorldSBK but virtually unknown in the USA. (Not to be confused with RS Taichi from Japan.) I ended up buying a bunch of their leather gear from SportsBikeShop. co.uk in England and TheVisorShop. com in Ireland. They've had closeout pricing lately on a ton of 2019 and earlier RST apparel and although the gear is, quality-wise, easily on par with or even superior to brands like Dainese, the prices are significantly lower. And with close-out discounts factored-in, it becomes a steal. The fact the dollar has been unusually strong against the English pound also worked to my advantage.

These vendors offer free shipping but only if you're in the UK, so I did have to pay postage but the costs were reasonable – especially for 2-day shipping with no customs hassles involved. Plus the fees were more than offset by the fact non-residents don't have to pay the UK's VAT. Oh... I almost forgot: worldwide shipping is free if you meet the purchase threshold, which I believe is around US$425. Unfortunately I wasn’t aware of this at the time or I would have made sure to buy everything at the same time and from the same vendor  

Anyhow now, for some reason, I'm totally cool wearing gear with "RST" emblazoned all over it... perhaps because it's such an anomaly in the USA. Gives it an exotic quality. Plus I'm a bit of an Anglophile. (Could be my imagination but it seems like the Brits – and Europeans in general – have access to a wider selection of high-quality apparel than we do here in North America. They don't know how lucky they are!) If anyone is in the market for some top-quality leather (or non-leather) apparel for the street or track, check out RST's offerings at SportsBikeShop. co.uk!

As yet, I have not encountered anyone else in the USA wearing RST apparel. Maybe I would if I spent more time at the track.

I realize no one asked about apparel (and that I'm way off the topic of mirrors) but I figured I'd talk about it nonetheless 'cause I'm excited about it.

IMG_2543.jpg

Edited by D.A.
  • Like 5