The MT-07 Forum

I'm 6'3", 220 lbs... Dealer says the FZ07 won't fit me.

jackpilot

Well the title says it all. "I'm 6'3", 220 lbs... Dealer says the FZ07 won't fit me." The dealer stated that the FZ07 suspension is not setup for a rider my size. Do you guys agree? If so, what should I look at? FZ09 is out of my comfort level and price point.

I'm a new rider with $6-7k to spend. 

Thank you for your time.

Jack

You will be fine. Budget $120 or so for front springs and about the same for the rear. But you can ride the bike as is for now... just won't be perfect.

FZ09 is worst... lol

Suspension on the 09 is no better than the 07. Both bikes will require change in front and rear springs to get it in the working range for your weight. I wouldn't listen to your dealership. Buy the 07 and spend a couple hundred to upgrade your springs.

• Global Moderator

Hi @jackpilot, thanks for joining, great to have you here. Like others say, if you sit on the bike and it feels right, you are good to go. Just buy it and ride it. If you feel that the suspension needs improvement, you can buy stuff to upgrade it later. But I would try it out as is. Just crank the rear suspension up a bit and enjoy.

5'9" 230 lbs here no problems,suspension are little on soft side for heavier riders but upgrades are available.You wont regret buying the fz 07 it's a great all around budget machine 8-) ,just search this forum and you'll see everyone loves their 07 .

• Premium Member
hippiebikerchick

Welcome jackpilot! One test ride and you'll be hooked! Plenty of bigger guys here, see what they say.  8-)

Illegitimi non carborundum

• Premium Member

The only consideration other than than your opinion that comes to mind is your desire for a passenger and bags, since there is a max load capacity. Don't have it in front of me, but thought the max load rating was right around 400 lbs (its in the manual). Will have to look it up tonight and will edit accordingly (unless someone has it handy)

The only consideration other than than your opinion that comes to mind is your desire for a passenger and bags, since there is a max load capacity. Don't have it in front of me, but thought the max load rating was right around 400 lbs (its in the manual). Will have to look it up tonight and will edit accordingly (unless someone has it handy)
According to the European  manual  I found,max load is 388 lbs 

• Global Moderator

I am 6'1, 205 lbs and had not ridden for twenty years so was essentially a new rider when I got my FZ-07. I have not had a problem with the suspension. I expect I will want to upgrade it when I get more experience, but for now I am more than happy with the stock setup. I did change the rear spring to six though.

Similar to mjh at 6'2" 200 lbs.  I'm a new rider. I have nothing to compare the fz07 to and I'm simply not capable of pushing this bike near its limits safely. I do ride at a decent pace in the canyons and have a ton of fun.  There is no sensation similar to riding in a car with blown shocks. The bike does move around a little with mid-corner bumps so I avoid them.  If I ever feel that my entertainment is limited by the suspension I'll take the advice of the veteran members and make some relatively cheap upgrades. So far I've just set the rear sag using video links from this site.

The bike has plenty of power to grow into but is small and light enough to easily manipulate while your feet are down.  I ride toward the tail end of the seat when cruising and do not feel cramped at all.  

Archived