The MT-07 Forum

I want to change to a li-ion battery

DX-FZ-07

New guy needs a tip on how to search posts on this forum....?  The search bar on the homepage seems to run on the web not searching inside the forum itself. 

I just bought my first FZ-07.  It's a near mint '15 with Akro carbon exhaust, tail and signals minimized, 8k miles.  She's still running on the original battery believe it or not but I want to change to a li-ion battery and I'm looking for suggestions on brands.  Anyone, anyone... Bueller?  Ride on.

FZ-07a.jpg

16 minutes ago, DX-FZ-07 said:

New guy needs a tip on how to search posts on this forum....?  The search bar on the homepage seems to run on the web not searching inside the forum itself. 

I just bought my first FZ-07.  It's a near mint '15 with Akro carbon exhaust, tail and signals minimized, 8k miles.  She's still running on the original battery believe it or not but I want to change to a li-ion battery and I'm looking for suggestions on brands.  Anyone, anyone... Bueller?  Ride on.

First off welcome. Second, your search is correct, you have to scroll past the web offerings to see the forum finds (look closely, you'll see the diff).

As far as an ion battery, I'd check out Antigravity. Not the cheapest but in my opinion... I've had one in my bike since day 1, Oct 2015 and never had issue with it or charged it even when sitting for months at a time. They are offered in standard size replacement and as mini sizes to suit your needs. I have an 8 cell in mine but some racers get by with the 4 cell version because they have no accessory draw. 

https://www.amazon.com/Antigravity-Batteries-AG-801-Powersports-Battery/dp/B008R0L05Y

It is 1/3 the size and 6lbs lighter than stock.

There are of course many other options too. 

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

2 hours ago, DX-FZ-07 said:

The search bar takes you to a custom google search for just this forum, it doesnt take you to the general web, though there will be ads because its google. but there are a few threads in both the racing subforum as well as the General discussion

I've had the same shorai battery in my bike for over 5 years  now. still going strong. havent had to use a tender or jump it to date. just gotta be patient in starting during cold weather. LiFePO4 require a draw to warm up when under about 40F I usually bump the starter a couple times, then let it sit with the hazards on while i gear up. bike fires on the fist try every time. 

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Hey Dewman,

I put in a MMG Lithium battery on my 1985 Honda VF500F 6 years ago and it still cranks like new.   That bike sat in our cold garage for months at a time without a start, never on a tender.  I used to replace lead acid batteries every couple years even with them on tenders. 

I paid $109 for my MMG on ebay in 2014.  Weighs only about 2 lbs and installed it up on end.  Love that.

I was curious if there was any consensus on lithiums for the FZ-07.   

'85 Honda Interceptor VF500F

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah lithium battery have issues in cold weather. If you forget even once and it drains under 10v your screwed. Id look at AGM battery instead they're cheap and don't need to worry about water leaking out. Also if you forget about lights ezpz to recharge. Also you can get one on eBay for under $40. So you got an extra $100 to spend on something else! Maybe a ECU reflash! Welcome to the forum!

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Kyuzo said:

Yeah lithium battery have issues in cold weather. If you forget even once and it drains under 10v your screwed. Id look at AGM battery instead they're cheap and don't need to worry about water leaking out. Also if you forget about lights ezpz to recharge. Also you can get one on eBay for under $40. So you got an extra $100 to spend on something else! Maybe a ECU reflash! Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure what LIthium battery you have experience with but my Shorai has been drained twice, both times by accidently leaving my GPS turned on and the bike sitting for a couple weeks, and has been just fine after throwing it on the charger both times. ✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

20 hours ago, DX-FZ-07 said:

Hey Dewman,

I put in a MMG Lithium battery on my 1985 Honda VF500F 6 years ago and it still cranks like new.   That bike sat in our cold garage for months at a time without a start, never on a tender.  I used to replace lead acid batteries every couple years even with them on tenders. 

I paid $109 for my MMG on ebay in 2014.  Weighs only about 2 lbs and installed it up on end.  Love that.

Nice, I love the old Interceptors.

Beemer

23 hours ago, DX-FZ-07 said:

Hey Dewman,

I love these bikes! I had one briefly and was forced to sell it before I got it roadworthy. Man, I was not happy about that. Had been eyeballing that beauty for a while. Gorgeous bike you have there, man.

6.JPG

That's cool.  I always wanted the aftermarket full fairings.