IMG_20200307_082737_101.jpg

Screenshot_20200306-105627__01.jpg

Edited by MT07Turbo
  • Like 7

• Premium Member

Welcome to the club 😁

20200108_091141.thumb.jpg.7a554f724dff1e3a9a972469bfa81e31.jpg

• Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

thank you very much, I understand you're going down the route of internal work to your bike? I look forward to seeing more of your posts and how it all goes 

Edited by MT07Turbo

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, MT07Turbo said:

Wayyy! 07 turbo brother 😂 thank you very much, I understand you're going down the route of internal work to your bike? I look forward to seeing more of your posts and how it all goes 😊

Yes, next winter project will have a built motor to run e85...I will offer general progress updates but I will not do a detailed thread on everything I did( like how to tear down motor or put motor together or set ring gaps, etc) 

• Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Wow. I’d really like to hear that rip! ...... maybe a kit will be put together for sale. 

9 hours ago, RobZilla said:

..... maybe a kit will be put together for sale. 

This:

0002028_yamaha-mt-07-fz-07-xsr700-turbo-

A complete turbo kit for the Yamaha MT-07 (FZ-07). Dyno proven to run 112hp at 7.5psi and as much as 125hp with extra boost**. Read full details in the description below. OPTIONAL EXTRAS BELOW:

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 3/8/2020 at 9:29 AM, RobZilla said:

Wow. I’d really like to hear that rip! ...... maybe a kit will be put together for sale. 

Bolt on kits available via Extreme Creations... OP has raw aluminum finish and screamer pipe...I went the black powder coat route with and universal exhaust pipe to fit an exhaust can... the universal exhaust pipe has a 51mm pipe so you can add any 51mm exhaust can if you want of various lengths/styles.. I choose a 61mm exhaust can which also includes an adapter to fit the 61mm to 51mm...

E85 kit will be hard to sell as a kit as it requires motor to be torn down and upgraded with rods, pistons, bigger injectors, transmission shim/cut, etc but it still uses basic bolt on kit... there is a YouTube video on the e85 kit and the other turbo kits from Extreme Creations...

• Like 1

I apologize for any blatant ignorance I’m new to tuning. Any idea if a ftecu auto tune would work for tuning this? 
The issue being is they are in Australia otherwise I’d have them do it in house. 
An option may be to send the eco to them for a flash then run the auto tune on top of it. 
I’m curious how you guys are running through the tuning process and what method you chose.

I’m also curious about taking the drive gear ratio up a percentage vs using the extended swingarm. Or both to keep it from perpetually ripping wheelies. 

thanks!

Edited by RobZilla

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, RobZilla said:

I apologize for any blatant ignorance I’m new to tuning. Any idea if a ftecu auto tune would work for tuning this? 
The issue being is they are in Australia otherwise I’d have them do it in house. 
An option may be to send the eco to them for a flash then run the auto tune on top of it. 
I’m curious how you guys are running through the tuning process and what method you chose.

I’m also curious about taking the drive gear ratio up a percentage vs using the extended swingarm. Or both to keep it from perpetually ripping wheelies. 

thanks!

I think probably 50 kits have sold worldwide... very exclusive upgrade... 

As for the "active tune" I suspect it may not work because I dont know how "intelligent" the "active tune" is in relation to "boost"... the turbo kit has a new fuel pump with a 1:1 regulator which adds 1 pound of fuel per 1 pound increase in boost, that's why I dont believe the active tune will be intelligent enough to understand... 

So the answer to your question is best left to the guys at Extreme Creations- they are pretty quick to respond to emails...

I went the PCV route as I already had the PCV and ECU has been return to stock settings...

As for the swingarm extensions, I find they actually make the bike feel more planted vs stock, granted I haven't had the chance to ride yet as it's still winter, so my rides have been fairly short to the gas station or store in town... I really dont find the bike to be wheelie prone after adding the turbo kit even with aftermarket suspension/extensions, it just runs thru the RPMs waaayyyyy faster than a FZ-07 with a decent exhaust/tune or a Hordpower Airbox which was my last setup... in comparison to my FJ-09 its makes pretty similar numbers but in a much shorter length of rpms where my FJ-09 uses it's long running rpm range to make power...

Dyno chart: turbo FZ-07 vs MT-09

Screenshot_20200101-235952_Chrome.jpg.574037f3ac1210579be4012cd8ad6f2c.thumb.jpg.b1a553fa48135bd13d30cb568b18a1c6.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member

After getting a PM from @FZ07R WaNaB... I figured I would do a lil update... 

Last few months I have not even attempted to stay current with the forums and whatnot...

As for the bike... had 2 small little problems... 1st was an occasional spittle of oil in the exhaust which was solved by a restrictor I had laying around from various turbo car projects... 2nd problem was I had to re-run the oil return line on the clutch side of bike vs the brake side to help keep the drain slope downward... 

I also run a blend of mixed gas... 1gal of 110 race gas and 4gal of premium pump gas...that gives me like 95/96 oct  rating...

No videos will be posted or recorded... Will provide pictures when requested... 

As for how it rides... the bike in general feels much more planted due to extensions on swingarm and aftermarket suspension( suspension is still same settings from 4yrs ago, only backed off the rear shock 1 click)... the power is really really good(could use a +1T front sprocket to put a bit more load on motor to take advantage) cruising down the Highway at 70mph in 6th is like barely "half pound" of boost, but give the throttle a handful, the boost snaps to 3 or more # and away you go... it dont miss a beat anywhere in the power band... in general the turbo bike is faster than my FJ-09 but not top speed wise... 

Is it worth the upgrade? Heck yea!!! Is it practical for everyone? No... 

This is probably my last post for awhile... 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

topazsparrow
6 hours ago, norcal616 said:

After getting a PM from @FZ07R WaNaB... I figured I would do a lil update... 

Last few months I have not even attempted to stay current with the forums and whatnot...

As for the bike... had 2 small little problems... 1st was an occasional spittle of oil in the exhaust which was solved by a restrictor I had laying around from various turbo car projects... 2nd problem was I had to re-run the oil return line on the clutch side of bike vs the brake side to help keep the drain slope downward... 

I also run a blend of mixed gas... 1gal of 110 race gas and 4gal of premium pump gas...that gives me like 95/96 oct  rating...

No videos will be posted or recorded... Will provide pictures when requested... 

As for how it rides... the bike in general feels much more planted due to extensions on swingarm and aftermarket suspension( suspension is still same settings from 4yrs ago, only backed off the rear shock 1 click)... the power is really really good(could use a +1T front sprocket to put a bit more load on motor to take advantage) cruising down the Highway at 70mph in 6th is like barely "half pound" of boost, but give the throttle a handful, the boost snaps to 3 or more # and away you go... it dont miss a beat anywhere in the power band... in general the turbo bike is faster than my FJ-09 but not top speed wise... 

Is it worth the upgrade? Heck yea!!! Is it practical for everyone? No... 

This is probably my last post for awhile... 

Thank you so much for the update. That's awesome!!

Do you have any concerns about the claims that 5th gear is problematic near or over 100hp? Or the connecting rods have a hard time ( at least on NA motors) around that HP rating?

You're obviously not racing the bike, and the way the power comes on from a turbo is a lot less instant than NA, so maybe that's a saving grace factor?

• Premium Member

Throttle response is fantastic but your not gonna get that instant 2nd gear wheelie type of deal... it's really nice power... before at 70mph in 6th gear(horsepower airbox) the bike felt like it needed a quick big gup of air before it moved(stock airbox was even worse)... now it feels darn near instant power response... cant really recall what a stock MT-07 feels like so I cant really offer an a honest answer on the power/throttle differences feel like... 

I really dont have any concerns about the transmission...yes its making more power than the race motors dyno charts I have seen but I believe the few ultra rare transmissions failures are more related to QS(quick shifter timing)... I am even using a QS but never touched the default settings it it still feels good like it was pre-turbo... 

98% of the time the last 10-12 MT/FZ-07 owners I have met in the last 2 weekends didn't even notice my bike had a turbo just walking by it... that's fine with me 😎

• Like 1

Joaoduarte

You are using power commander v to control the fueling and timing? 

Do you mind to show your fueling and ignition map with your turbo setup just for curiosity of how much fueling increase is need to mantai a good safe AFR with a turbo. I use power commander also but with akrapovic exhaust and dna filter and lid and fueling adjusted with autotune

• Premium Member

Yes I am using the supplied PCV map from Extreme Creations...  this map is built off the OEM settings, only changes I have is the fan temperature change from a previous flash tune...

Watching a youtube video, the AFRs seems to be tad bit extra on safe side 12:1-13.5 under load... I dont have my tuning laptop with me but from memory the "values" were not applied in a blanket fashion... it's one map for all gears... also the kit has a 1:1 rising rate fuel regulator...

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Joaoduarte

Norcal616 how many miles have you put on the bike with the turbo?

For exemple for cruising it feels good? And what about issues with it?

It's been a while since my last update so thought I should join back in. with my setup I've gone with having the internals upgraded, which the engine is currently on the work bench and having the following done:

Corrillo rods, headstuds, PSI valve springs, custom made high flow fuel rail, bigger injectors and HD clutch springs. 

Unfortunately I won't be able to provide any photos of the build as I'm not undertaking the work myself. Once the bike is up and running I will try to get some Dyno footage and maybe a couple of review videos online. 

In all having forced induction on this engine makes for a fun little bike to ride. Hope to update you soon... Fingers crossed before summer has come and gone 🤞🏼

Edited by MT07Turbo
  • Like 3

• Premium Member
On 6/9/2020 at 5:48 PM, Spatt said:

How’s transient throttle?  Loosing a ton of exhaust energy with that turbo placement. 

I feel the throttle transient is fairly nice... haven't really gotten to purposely get the throttle to fall flat on its face, If that's what's your asking??? ...

I have purposely let off the throttle(no pulling in clutch) under 5-6# of boost at 90mph and the motor just falls back to high idle range rpms and if I give the throttle a handful it just jerks me back into the seat after doing that...

the turbo has an A/R of .42(?).. also I need to change the front sprocket to a +1 to get more load on the motor=better boost response, it just rips thru the stock gearing with only a few pounds of boost... just cruising along on the HWY for example( barely .5 psi) I dont even feel the bike fight them air walls off semis or going uphill- I can easily watch the boost adjust to the extra load... 

@Joaoduarte... I got about 1100 miles on the turbo so far, needs oil change already .. no issues, sorted those out fairly early on- needed a oil restrictor at the turbo oil supply as the stock oil pressure on my bike was approx 42psi which put a little spittle of oil in turbo exhaust pipe and I had to route the turbo oil drain to the shifter side to help promote better oil drain which I thought was the reason I had a lil spittle of oil in the turbo exhaust pipe( so I just left in there before I put a restrictor on the turbo oil supply)..  only 2 things have changed in my normal routine- oil changes at 1000-1200 miles and I'm running a mixed blend of gas as I dont trust premium pump gas- I'm using 4gals of 110 pump race gas with 1gal of premium pump gas to give me 95/96 octane rating with much better pre-det buffer from race gas... I will run premium pump gas if forced to but will not be putting much boost on it...

Biggest challenge is undoing 20k miles of stock wheelbase feeling/handling I'm so used to... 

I do let the bike warm up far more than my regular bikes tho to the point of the fan kicking on and let it idle for a min or 2 after riding to cool the engine/turbo down...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...