The MT-07 Forum

Will any H4 LED bulb work?

bricew25

I saw the thread earlier about the best LED bulb replacement for the FZ07, but shouldn't any H4 LED bulb work? Just wondering if anyone has bought amazon H4 bulbs for a car and stuck it in their bike. 

Yes, any H4 bulb will plug in to the harness and operate  as it should. Since you are talking about LED's, then you don't have any worries about pulling too many watts, but still make sure whatever light you are looking at does not exceed the wattage of the factory bulb. IIRC, the stock bulb was 55 or 60 watts on high. 

i'm running an automotive 4x6 LED headlight in a DRZ headlight cowl. I love it. I don't recall the wattage, but it was lower than stock. 

QP3ehdt.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

Yes, any H4 bulb will plug in to the harness and operate  as it should. Since you are talking about LED's, then you don't have any worries about pulling too many watts, but still make sure whatever light you are looking at does not exceed the wattage of the factory bulb. IIRC, the stock bulb was 55 or 60 watts on high. 

i'm running an automotive 4x6 LED headlight in a DRZ headlight cowl. I love it. I don't recall the wattage, but it was lower than stock. 

QP3ehdt.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Might make an order for a cheap set off amazon this week. Ive had good luck with them in my vehicles before. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

You do have to be concerned about the beam pattern though with any LED H4. Some work better with the FZ/MT housing than others, which is why many spend more $$ to get the Cyclops. That's not to say there isn't a cheap one out there that will work great. Just don't expect the same results from all LED H4 bulbs.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

35 minutes ago, DewMan said:

You do have to be concerned about the beam pattern though with any LED H4. Some work better with the FZ/MT housing than others, which is why many spend more $$ to get the Cyclops. That's not to say there isn't a cheap one out there that will work great. Just don't expect the same results from all LED H4 bulbs.

Good to know, thanks. It does seem like there is a huge variation in designs 

• Global Moderator

Where the LED emitters are in relation to the reflector will make a huge difference in the beam pattern.  It may take some trial and error to find one that is acceptable, or you may get lucky the first time.  I went with the Cyclops because I knew it was high quality and would work, but you do pay extra for that.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out. 

• Like 1

These guys are right. I found some video reviews on the beam pattern before I bought that 4x6 I've got. 

For the money, especially if you want to retain the stock headlight, the Cyclops setup is hard to beat. I ran one before and liked it VERY much. And mine was the older, lower powered version. 3600 lumens. The new ones are twice that!

I see cheaper ones on amazon that will fit our bike but they aren't waterproof like the Cyclops, the light pattern isn't specific to our bike and they're too high up in the light range at 6500k. That's just too blue a light for my liking. If I recall the Cyclops is around 5500k where it's more white light than blue.

Beemer

Josh2019mt07

@shinyribs I really like what you did there. Curious if you happened to make a write up on the light swap. I would like to replicate this on my bike. It looks like it essentially upgrades the light but also functions similar to the small aftermarket windscreens I see made for our FZ’s and MT’s. Covering up that gap and cables, still allowing access to the stock key ignition placement?  It’s really awesome to me because my first bike was a DRZ400 and that’s what I learned to ride on. Nostalgic. 

12 hours ago, Josh2019mt07 said:

@shinyribs I really like what you did there. Curious if you happened to make a write up on the light swap. I would like to replicate this on my bike. It looks like it essentially upgrades the light but also functions similar to the small aftermarket windscreens I see made for our FZ’s and MT’s. Covering up that gap and cables, still allowing access to the stock key ignition placement?  It’s really awesome to me because my first bike was a DRZ400 and that’s what I learned to ride on. Nostalgic. 

Hey bud. Sorry, no write up. I was actually running that setup on another bike and transferred it to the FZ. The mounting setup is just some  one-off rigging I whipped up one evening out of scrap tubing. It's pretty crude, tbh. 

I'm not sure about DRZ400 mounting ears, but early DR650's used the same headlight assembly. Those had ears that slipped over the fork tubes to mount. I can't say there's enough clearance on an FZ/MT or not, but using the stock Suzuki mounts would probably work pretty easily.  DR650 fork tubes are 43mm vs or 41mm, but I bet the rubber bushing would fit ok. 

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/YuEAAOSwzgBY2mY4/s-l640.jpg

• Like 1