The MT-07 Forum

Fork Height - Stock and Recommendations

HulkHogan

Hello.  I've moved my forks but forgot to record what the stock fork height was above the triple clamp.

What is the stock fork height?  What does everyone recommend for fork height?  I've browsed through some threads and have seen various inputs such as 5mm above - 15mm above, so wanted to start a thread directly on the subject.

I still have my stock shock but will upgrade in the future.

• Premium Member

Stock is the top of the tube flush with the top of the triple clamp. All of the visible fork cap should be above the triple clamp.

• Like 4

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

56 minutes ago, HulkHogan said:

Anyone have them sticking up more than flush?

I'm sure there are but you should have a a reason to do so since it changes the rake/trail which also changes the handling characteristics which you or may not like the change. You can try it and if you don't like it move it back.

Personally I leave mine in stock form.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

13 minutes ago, DewMan said:

I'm sure there are but you should have a a reason to do so since it changes the rake/trail which also changes the handling characteristics which you or may not like the change. You can try it and if you don't like it move it back.

Personally I leave mine in stock form.

My reason is because I’ve heard rumors that the FZ-07 stock suspension and geometry may suck...😏

We know that the rear end needs to come up.  Could the front end geometry be improved also?

I like an aggressive stance.  The handlebars will be swapped out for clip-ons soon enough...Was hoping there was a better fork height everyone agreed on.

For example, on my GSX-R track bike we love raising the rear 8mm and dropping the forks to flush.  Then we add extenders to the forks and then raise the rear an additional 5mm (13mm total).  Stock causes you to run wide.  Any basic better geometry settings like this for the FZ-07?

• Global Moderator

raising them up will drop(?) the trail numbers i believe
in conjunction with a properly set up rear shock and link, will make a more nimble bike. but in stock form wil likely only make the bike more unstable at speed

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

Its something you have to experiment with- no two people ride the same... some prefer to keep the bike more upright or some think they need to ride like a motoGP(even at this lvl they are always trying to find a way to ride the bike) 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
cornerslider
7 hours ago, HulkHogan said:

I have mine 10mm above the top of the triple. Buy doing that, you sacrifice a small amount of high-speed "stability", but gain an easier "tip-in" when cornering. It's not a drastic change, but you can notice it a bit when cornering. I haven't noticed any change in the high-speed "stability". I think Yamaha sets these up pretty conservative from the factory-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

36 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

I have mine 10mm above the top of the triple. Buy doing that, you sacrifice a small amount of high-speed "stability", but gain an easier "tip-in" when cornering. It's not a drastic change, but you can notice it a bit when cornering. I haven't noticed any change in the high-speed "stability". I think Yamaha sets these up pretty conservative from the factory-

Thank you!

56 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

I have mine 10mm above the top of the triple. Buy doing that, you sacrifice a small amount of high-speed "stability", but gain an easier "tip-in" when cornering.

If you aren’t wobblin’, then you’re doddlin’!!!

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, HulkHogan said:

I have mine around 5mm more than stock, with ohlins cartridges and slightly longer shock (rear raised around 10mm). Bike is used mostly on the track.

10 hours ago, HulkHogan said:

I’ve heard rumors that the FZ-07 stock suspension and geometry may suck...😏

Decide for yourself! The internet is full of rumors 🤣

The rear shock is pretty bad, but the geometry is fantastic. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, stickshift said:

I have mine around 5mm more than stock, with ohlins cartridges and slightly longer shock (rear raised around 10mm). Bike is used mostly on the track.

Thank you!