The MT-07 Forum

Another what would you do post

phanomenal07

I currently have an opportunity to buy a rolling project 1996 cbr 600 f3 for $500. The motor runs and the chassis seems to be in good order. It will not come with any fairings but that doesnt matter since it'll be a track build. I had plans to turn the Fz to a track bike. So should I buy this and start a project cbr track bike and have the fz for street duty. Or continue with my plans to track out the fz. At this point all the fz is missing is some clip ons and a fairing kit to finish. What would you do?!

• Global Moderator

I would do both, but that's me thinking fantastically. 
for that $500 + fairing costs + other track upgrades for the f3 could you get the clipons and the fairing kit for the fz?

• Thanks 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

You can never have too many bikes. For $500 you can ride the Honda for a while and sell it for a profit if you don't fall in love with it. 

Those F3 600's can be serious track machines when dialed in correctly. Bulletproof engines as well. Keep an eye on the wiring harness connector for the charging circuit. They love to corrode, overheat, burn up and take out other expensive bits like R&R's and stators. Honda struggled for decades with burnt out charging harness connectors and failed R&R's. 

The aftermarket for those bikes is pretty big. Used to be able to pick up complete pre-painted Chinese fairing kits for a couple hundred bucks. Not show quality, but fantastic for the price, especially for a track machine. 

Edited by shinyribs

23 hours ago, phanomenal07 said:

I currently have an opportunity to buy a rolling project 1996 cbr 600 f3 for $500. The motor runs and the chassis seems to be in good order. It will not come with any fairings but that doesnt matter since it'll be a track build. I had plans to turn the Fz to a track bike. So should I buy this and start a project cbr track bike and have the fz for street duty. Or continue with my plans to track out the fz. At this point all the fz is missing is some clip ons and a fairing kit to finish. What would you do?!

From what you said it would seem it's much cheaper to just finish out the Fz. The savings could go toward more important things like beer, pretzels, a cool aftermarket TV remote. 

Beemer

14 hours ago, shinyribs said:

You can never have too many bikes. For $500 you can ride the Honda for a while and sell it for a profit if you don't fall in love with it. 

Those F3 600's can be serious track machines when dialed in correctly. Bulletproof engines as well. Keep an eye on the wiring harness connector for the charging circuit. They love to corrode, overheat, burn up and take out other expensive bits like R&R's and stators. Honda struggled for decades with burnt out charging harness connectors and failed R&R's. 

The aftermarket for those bikes is pretty big. Used to be able to pick up complete pre-painted Chinese fairing kits for a couple hundred bucks. Not show quality, but fantastic for the price, especially for a track machine. 

Smear some dielectric grease in the connectors to stop corrosion.