The MT-07 Forum

Changing rim colour

biljardboll01

biljardboll01

Hey, I'm looking into buying a MT07 2015 model. It has blue wheel/rim colour and I really would like to change it to black. Just because the looks, it doesnt look that appealing to me with blue colour on the wheels. Anyone has any tip or suggestion on how I could do it myself? Is it worth doing myself with great tools or should I hand them in to someone who could do it porperly?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, biljardboll01 said:

Hey, I'm looking into buying a MT07 2015 model. It has blue wheel/rim colour and I really would like to change it to black. Just because the looks, it doesnt look that appealing to me with blue colour on the wheels. Anyone has any tip or suggestion on how I could do it myself? Is it worth doing myself with great tools or should I hand them in to someone who could do it porperly?

Is it worth thinking about swapping them with someone who wants to go the other way? Rather a long shot, I know. I would love to swap my blacks for yellows.

Just do it! 

3 hours ago, biljardboll01 said:

I would recommend having somebody that has done a lot of Powdercoat do them. For a first diy project they would be challenging to do. 

1 hour ago, robbo10 said:

Is it worth thinking about swapping them with someone who wants to go the other way? Rather a long shot, I know. I would love to swap my blacks for yellows.

I would post up a swap and see what happens. You have nothing to loose and might get lucky. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1tondriver said:

I would recommend having somebody that has done a lot of Powdercoat do them. For a first diy project they would be challenging to do. 

I would post up a swap and see what happens. You have nothing to loose and might get lucky. 

"Is it worth thinking about swapping them with someone who wants to go "the other way?"

I agree with this although I don't think the swap necessarily has to be with someone that goes both ways. 😉

If no swaps available I wouldn't try painting them, I doubt they would hold up very well. A powder coat would be more ideal.

Beemer

• 1 year later...

Hey there! I know I’m late to the thread, but I have some black wheels and I’ve been looking for blue ones! Lmk if you still have them and if you’d like to trade still! I’m located in Colorado 

69E6E129-205C-4080-B896-AC501D57007C.jpeg

Edited by dr3nasty

None of the folks in my area have entertained a trade for their wheels… so I looked up on google for trades and came across this page! I figured I’d at least reach out and see! I’d be willing to commute, but shipping would be most convenient for both parties I’m sure haha 😅

Nah, I'd go gold in a heartbeat.   I hate cleaning rims and the ones that show dust and dirt the least would be gold, silver or raw unpolished aluminum.    The ones that show dirt and dust the worst are black, white, and yellow probably in that order.    

Actually that raw unpolished aluminum or silver would look decent on the red XSR I have.  

Edit:  Of course those are just my personal observations.

Edited by klx678

Scrub the rims with dish detergent and rinse well. Blow/wipe them dry, then wipe them off with alcohol. Doing it all out on the sun is good. Let the air out and poke playing cards around the edge for easy masking. You can get paint on the edge of that little lip real easy this way. A can of spray paint is cheap. Spray paint can later be removed with gasoline, which will not remove the factory paint underneath, if one were to change their mind.

Simple job and you're not having to swap tires around. 

Put the cards back in the box and stash em in the toolbox for later.

paintrims2.thumb.jpg.409b8c905dcaf0861d82ee8d867a4880.jpg

Edited by shinyribs