The MT-07 Forum

Tanudder racebike

mossrider

So I picked this up from a buddy, (read confiscated, lol)18775-MMS-1550967334419-attachment1-2019022395181053.thumb.jpg.eb61b86ea691062170e22e5af0d50696.jpg

to build another racebike for a friend who says to me, "can you replicate your bike but with any upgrades or changes you'd make after racing yours for 4 seasons?". 

Hmm, says I, let me look into this. A few texts and late nite calls to some track friends and vendors and we're off and running. 

Pulled the motor and head for shipment to Zoran at TWF Racing,

IMG_20200222_115816.thumb.jpg.85b00cdca288bb343467ba20a3ef6421.jpg

IMG_20200222_115836.thumb.jpg.43cb8219eca0e1e5ae533e52e8266d13.jpg

IMG_20200222_115955.thumb.jpg.e8df3d6bfc58efd09fecc9cd23933ade.jpg

IMG_20200222_120017.thumb.jpg.4ef9e61ba60cf7f32ae594459b85ae4e.jpgIMG_20200222_115930.thumb.jpg.cc3881453d2f12548e49af2f294394ce.jpg

IMG_20200222_115904.thumb.jpg.9721e027a683210314b022be50e878fa.jpg

Looks like another excellent starting point. 

Getting the head ported, Web cams, valve job, bored throttle bodies.

Ordered all the bits n pieces to have a ball both in the shop building it and on the track enjoying it. $6,000 not counting suspension bits, machine work, shipping and cost of the bike. So, yeah it's not cheap but it'll be an affordable option to the full on MotoAmerica builds at double or more the cost. This bike, like mine, should be able to make the grid in any MotoAmerica Twins Cup event, and podium at any club racing event under the right rider. 

Got some fun and high tech things in the works from Matt at Robem Engineering and from Brandon at Trackside Labs to bookend the motor Zoran is helping with.

Stay tuned for V2.

Fun. 

• Like 9

• Premium Member

Good for you Dave, that's awesome!!!! When I can retire one day, I hope to make that my "hobby", restoring old(er) bikes, or helping out racers go faster.... Don't care if I make a dime. I just think it would be fun-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

I might have to take a vacation to MN in the fall and just so happen to have my bike in tow. Following this thread 👍🏻

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, cornerslider said:

Good for you Dave, that's awesome!!!! When I can retire one day, I hope to make that my "hobby", restoring old(er) bikes, or helping out racers go faster.... Don't care if I make a dime. I just think it would be fun-

Ha, I restored dozens of older bikes over the years as a hobby and absolutely loved it. It was so fun to waste a sunny summer weekend hooning around on random old stuff, running from Dairy Queen to brat feed to swap meet!  And I actually miss changing fouled spark plugs on the roadside or calling my wife to bring the truck and pick my dumb ass up. The wife, who rides, didnt share my love of the vintage stuff. My problem was racing started to consume all my time, all my money and all my sanity, lol. It got to the point I simply had too many carbs to keep clean, too many old gas tanks to keep rust free, too many tubed tires leaking air and weather checking too continue. Luckily, my wife developed a love of the track and now track works at several racetracks and cant get enough of our shared passion. I gave up the restoration stuff and sold out. Now I'm throttling back my racing and find that helping out around the paddock is its own reward and we truly enjoy the people, smells, sounds and sights of the track.

It's our lake home.

• Like 8

Just now, 1tondriver said:

I might have to take a vacation to MN in the fall and just so happen to have my bike in tow. Following this thread 👍🏻

Bring money, we make medicine. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Global Moderator

That wrap looks very familiar

He's on here someewhere

• Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Just now, sorkyah said:

That wrap looks very familiar

He's on here someewhere

Yep, only he's not getting it back, lol.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

Where ya hiding ya sneaky bastard. 

:P

good for you miss, soon you'll be a one man speedshop for the FZ

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Ha, I restored dozens of older bikes over the years as a hobby and absolutely loved it. It was so fun to waste a sunny summer weekend hooning around on random old stuff, running from Dairy Queen to brat feed to swap meet!  And I actually miss changing fouled spark plugs on the roadside or calling my wife to bring the truck and pick my dumb ass up. The wife, who rides, didnt share my love of the vintage stuff. My problem was racing started to consume all my time, all my money and all my sanity, lol. It got to the point I simply had too many carbs to keep clean, too many old gas tanks to keep rust free, too many tubed tires leaking air and weather checking too continue. Luckily, my wife developed a love of the track and now track works at several racetracks and cant get enough of our shared passion. I gave up the restoration stuff and sold out. Now I'm throttling back my racing and find that helping out around the paddock is its own reward and we truly enjoy the people, smells, sounds and sights of the track.

It's our lake home.

I actually made my own Father tear up @ Christmas a couple years back... I skipped school one day as teenager. I took my fathers 1984 Honda Nighthawk S out  for a 128 mile ride (@ 14 years old).... My Dad got home from work that day and asked "Did you ride my bike today"? To which I obviously said "No, why do you ask"?... He replied "Somebody put 128 miles on it today, are you SURE you didn't ride it.... I knew I was TOTALLY busted!!!  He sold that bike 2 weeks later. I knew it was because of my "poor" choices.... Fast forward 30 years, and I found a "neglected" 1984 Honda Nighthawk S, with 12,000 original miles on it. Just needed some love- I picked it up for $600. I changed all the fluids, rebuilt the carburetors, put tires on it, restored it to "new" condition, and gave it to him for Christmas that year. I'll never forget that Christmas-

• Like 6

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, 1tondriver said:

Get back in line buddy. LOL👍

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, mossrider said:

Now I'm throttling back my racing and find that helping out around the paddock is its own reward and we truly enjoy the people, smells, sounds and sights of the track.

It's our lake home.

This Guy, really goes above and beyond, if you know you know. Hats off to you, visor lifted with right hand. Salute to you, Sir.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, sorkyah said:

Where ya hiding ya sneaky bastard. 

:P

good for you miss, soon you'll be a one man speedshop for the FZ

So have you found where the rider was hiding? @sorkyah

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, mossrider said:

It's our lake home.

Lucky guy you are! 

So I guess you still have snow there from the looks of the tires. 

Glad it's another FZ!  It's awesome how much the FZ and the twin class is taking off.  

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Build sheet:

Woodcraft 1"riser clip ons, bars, spacers, key eliminator, frame sliders, side stand eliminator, brake lever guard, and rear sets

Shark Skinz bodywork and mounting kit, generic seat pad, Corsa windscreen

Spiegler front and rear braided stainless brake lines (2 lines to master in blue of course)

Brembo 19mm RCS radial master w/mounting kit and resivoir 

Dynojet Power Commander PC5 and push/pull quick shifter pot

Antigravity small case 8 cell battery

Stomp grip tank pad

R & G Racing case covers

Super lite 520 steel sprocket, D.I.D. chain conversion (16-45)

Speers Racing high pressure radiator cap and 80mm steering damper

Gilles Chain adjusters w/spools

Yoyodyne slipper clutch, gets new stock friction plates 

R6 throttle tube

AP Motoarts rear sub frame

Robem Engineering rear suspension linkage set, custom tripples and rear set plates, 

Custom K-Tech suspension by Trackside Labs

Lightech gas cap

Stock hardware and fasteners from Parts Fish

Renthal roadrace grips 

Web Cams, 55 intake, 1662 exhaust

Leo Vince LV10 universal slip on, mated to Yoshimura Ti head pipes 

Race/convenience/paddock mods to motor, airbox, brakes, controls, chassis set up, safety wire, and a lot of magic via various artisans and vendors.

I'll update this list as necessary. 

• Like 3

• Global Moderator
23 hours ago, fzar said:

So have you found where the rider was hiding? @sorkyah

assuming its you... though there are alot of broken images and links on the forum since the migration.... i cant find the pics i was looking for.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, sorkyah said:

assuming its you... though there are alot of broken images and links on the forum since the migration.... i cant find the pics i was looking for.

No, not me.

Just now, sorkyah said:

... though there are alot of broken images and links on the forum since the migration.... 

18 minutes of missing tape...hmmm...

A little more werk. This airbox is getting some BLR magic for starters. Stock simply won't do, what was Yamaha thinking?

IMG_20200223_183704.thumb.jpg.96b8821f0d52379b73b759186489839b.jpg

After tear down and cleaning up this frame I'll fit a new aluminum sub frame, remove a bunch of unnecessary junque and fab some brackets for the electronics. Then hack some on the wiring harness.

IMG_20200223_183609.thumb.jpg.c1624e5d8917c3dabab5c170857ffaa3.jpg

That swingarm'll probably go into the blasting cabinet and come out something else. Then it gets new stuff and gets stuffed, back in the bike that is.

This was captured on the lift where I confiscated this donar bike. I was just in time to save this FZ from becoming a snowmobile, whew!

output.thumb.jpg.002c9232ed9904b8cb4125372a65c94e.jpg

That thing sure is fun but a frickin handful on hardpack. Another clue to help @sorkyah in his investigation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pgeldz said:

Nice!  Can't wait to see ver 2!

Should be just like mine, only better. I'm hoping to side step all my mistakes from the first one.  Be primer tho, I'm not painting it. 

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Should be just like mine, only better. I'm hoping to side step all my mistakes from the first one.  Be primer tho, I'm not painting it. 

Nice!

Good news! Things are begining to arrive and progress on the build is ramping up. 

I reached out to the fellas at 2 Wheel Dynoworks for a flash on the project bike. My hope was to find a similar or comparable race flash to the original AP Motoarts flash from 2015 in my racebike. (Actually the second ecu & flash as Andy swapped out my original ecu with another at Chuckwalla in March 2016) No problem say they, send us both your original and the new one and we'll mirror the original to the new one. Better yet, it turns out they did all the flashes back in the day and were as curious as I the exact flash it had, kind of an archeological look into the past. They offered to upload a new flash but I'm too happy with the original to mess with that. I'm looking forward to finding out more about my flash specifics.

Jewelry,

IMG_20200225_204056.thumb.jpg.860db1e3a13bc081e67e23b3f2ff4796.jpgIMG_20200224_195132.thumb.jpg.5b39ed83674bb2e4a2390d3f49465d00.jpg

Cleanup on isle 5,

IMG_20200224_194857.thumb.jpg.2c70579ffffd313b20f23fbee90b0d2f.jpg

Discussing a run to COTA for the Moto GP race in April with my crack dealer (previous owner of the project bike) woot!

Resized_20200223_151333_197-1.thumb.jpg.4b557cbd9896ca9218441925cd261a6b.jpg

Or just nursing another sore digit...

• Like 2