The MT-07 Forum

Clutch Side Oil Leak/ Seep?

bricew25

Inspecting my bike and saw oil/dirt all along the bottom of the clutch cover. I read one other post where a guy brought this in for a warranty repair, but this is a second hand, 2015, so that's not going to work. Anyone else experience this? Is it just the gasket on the cover? Seems like i've been riding with it like this for a while, but would like some opinions on fixing it. 

I also noticed a little oil on the oil pan in the picture as well... Not sure whats going on. 

IMG_1208.jpg

• Premium Member

Firstly: You say its a 2015 and your the second owner.

Secondly: Just clean it up, get in there,  give it a good wipe. Tighten the bolts/fasteners to torque specs, I think off the top of my head its 8 ft/lbs on the clutch cover/coolant connections. Here: apologies 8.7 ft/lbs 

Screen Shot 2020-02-19 at 12.03.41 AM.png

Once cleaned let it run or take her for as ride and see if you still have a problem, I'd doubt it, but I'm just the messenger, I can only speak of what worked for me, so good luck.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

And if after you do what @fzar recommends, and you still have leakage, you may have to replace the seal after confirming the mating surfaces are flat and not marred. 

Good Luck resolving your issue. 👍

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

OP: Your picture shows the water pump side...

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
23 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

Agreed, but the fasteners are mated to the clutch cover underside!!! Correct me if I’m wrong! I hope I didn’t give wrong advice. Here is what I have:

5C962204-1AE5-4B87-A0A3-67FDA586DC86.png

• Premium Member

The coolant pipes at the pump looked like they could be seeping at the o-rings or follow up it towards the rubber hoses with some big ole spring clamps- mine seeped a bit at the clamps, all I had to do was pinch open the clamps a bit and rotate em... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

The coolant pipes at the pump looked like they could be seeping at the o-rings or follow up it towards the rubber hoses with some big ole spring clamps- mine seeped a bit at the clamps, all I had to do was pinch open the clamps a bit and rotate em... 

No doubt. I was responding to;

50 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

I was just trying to give any help I could. Which is why I said:

43 minutes ago, fzar said:

Correct me if I’m wrong! I hope I didn’t give wrong advice

I think the pics speak for themselves! The clutch fasteners and coolant pipes fasteners are mated on the lower part of the clutch cover, so who knows what’s coming from where. I was trying to give the member a head start on my experience and  a starting point. No big deal.

Dave.

• Premium Member
50 minutes ago, fzar said:

Agreed, but the fasteners are mated to the clutch cover underside!!! Correct me if I’m wrong! I hope I didn’t give wrong advice. Here is what I have:

5C962204-1AE5-4B87-A0A3-67FDA586DC86.png

My fault- wasn't really thinking... but yes it's the clutch side...

• Like 1

i had the same problem. basically the seals in the water pump need to be replaced. the gaskets, and various orings need to be replaced as well but the main issue is the oil and mech seal in the water pump my oil leak looked exactly like yours.

my bike is a 2015 model mt-07 (australian). the replacement seal models look to be revised in later yrs (so dont buy the parts listed under the 2015), from memory i bough the 2017 parts, i need to pull up my notes when im home to confirm, i will follow it up soon in a new post.

its possible for to fix at home, it took me several hours and the bike is good now (5000+ km and no leaks).

Edited by poida

Thanks for all the replies so far. First thing I'll do is clean the area well and make sure all the bolts are tight. The post above me talked about water pump seals, which I don't mind doing myself if I have a some sort of guide/ diagram.  

Edited by bricew25

3 hours ago, poida said:

i had the same problem. basically the seals in the water pump need to be replaced. the gaskets, and various orings need to be replaced as well but the main issue is the oil and mech seal in the water pump my oil leak looked exactly like yours.

my bike is a 2015 model mt-07 (australian). the replacement seal models look to be revised in later yrs (so dont buy the parts listed under the 2015), from memory i bough the 2017 parts, i need to pull up my notes when im home to confirm, i will follow it up soon in a new post.

its possible for to fix at home, it took me several hours and the bike is good now (5000+ km and no leaks).

Any more info on this would be appreciated. Thanks for you comment. 

• Premium Member

My wife's Honda CBR250R had a a similar leak (hers was probably a little worse). I cleaned it off really good at every oil change (to be able to keep an eye on it). The leak/seepage got SLOWLY worse VERY gradually..... She rode on it for two years like that. The oil level never went noticeably down. I repaired it over the winter this year. My point is, oil leaks such as yours LOOK much worse than they are. The tiniest amount of oil will attract huge amounts of dirt/grime, and make it look much worse than it really is. I would wipe it off really good. Maybe spray it down with a degreaser, or brake cleaner. Keep an eye on it after that. If it's something you can fix yourself, and you have the tools, and the time go for it. I certainly wouldn't stop riding it, or take it to a dealer for repair. It's actually pretty easy to repair if you have a service manual. Good luck-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

15 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

My wife's Honda CBR250R had a a similar leak (hers was probably a little worse). I cleaned it off really good at every oil change (to be able to keep an eye on it). The leak/seepage got SLOWLY worse VERY gradually..... She rode on it for two years like that. The oil level never went noticeably down. I repaired it over the winter this year. My point is, oil leaks such as yours LOOK much worse than they are. The tiniest amount of oil will attract huge amounts of dirt/grime, and make it look much worse than it really is. I would wipe it off really good. Maybe spray it down with a degreaser, or brake cleaner. Keep an eye on it after that. If it's something you can fix yourself, and you have the tools, and the time go for it. I certainly wouldn't stop riding it, or take it to a dealer for repair. It's actually pretty easy to repair if you have a service manual. Good luck-

Exactly, I guarantee that it was like this when I picked up the bike a year ago and didn't even realize it. I haven't noticed any oil level drop or coolant for that matter. It would nice if I could narrow the fluid down to oil or coolant. 

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, bricew25 said:

Exactly, I guarantee that it was like this when I picked up the bike a year ago and didn't even realize it. I haven't noticed any oil level drop or coolant for that matter. It would nice if I could narrow the fluid down to oil or coolant. 

My gut says coolant- based on the picture... It looks like it is leaking on all sides of the water pump housing. Once you get it cleaned off, and are keep an eye on it, you should be able to tell of it's oil, or coolant. Good luck-

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Seems like many people have had the warped water pump covers, so Im leaning towards that direction

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
14 hours ago, bricew25 said:

Inspecting my bike and saw oil/dirt all along the bottom of the clutch cover. I read one other post where a guy brought this in for a warranty repair, but this is a second hand, 2015, so that's not going to work. Anyone else experience this? Is it just the gasket on the cover? Seems like i've been riding with it like this for a while, but would like some opinions on fixing it. 

I also noticed a little oil on the oil pan in the picture as well... Not sure whats going on. 

IMG_1208.jpg

Water pump shaft seal, as well as case cover were replaced on mine under warranty. Took some yelling at Yamaha and the dealer to get it diagged properly. 

If you wanna do it yourself, a new case cover, and all the seals should be all that's necessary for the repair. 

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I had the same issue last year (thread here somewhere) and I ended up replacing the clutch cover gasket only and problem was fixed. Was a seeping leak as well but a pretty easy fix. I can’t stand any fluid leaks no matter how small they are. 

• Like 1

Here are the parts I bought to fix my leaking clutch/waterpump. prices in USD, I purchased it from partzilla, even after shipping to Australia it ended up heaps cheaper compared to local prices (~50%).

Note the 2017 part for the water pump shaft oil seal, it looks revised from the 2015. If this part fails, the oil from the clutch side would exit via the weep hole which explains the leak. 

My suggestion is to replace everything, peace of mind. No point gambling thinking it's the clutch cover gasket or water pump oring. If it ends up being the shaft seals then ya got to take it apart a second time.

Good luck.

1044350524_ScreenShot2020-02-23at3_02_12pm.png.54a1a81080754b0cb9bc58c300b3741f.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Josh2019mt07

@poida best advice so far in my opinion. It’s a cheap easy fix . And a day out in the garage drinking beer and getting intimate with your bike. Who Wants to deal with leaks, I know it looks small but especially if you get oil blowing back on your rear tire or on your brake rotor, Little things can cause some big issues