The MT-07 Forum

Slipper Clutch

cosp600rr

i use the YoYo Dyne ...if a slipper clutch is adjusted  properly it is a very helpful tool to improve riding technique not to mention lap times. Most use GP shift pattern 

• Premium Member

I've used both the Yoyodyne and Suter.  The Yoyodyne was fine and worked like it should, but it had a small click in the clutch lever and as time went on it got worse which I never really liked. 

When I transformed my FZ-07 to a dedicated race bike I switched to the Suter.  I only have one race weekend on it, but I like it better than the Yoyodyne.  No click in the lever, and it just works.  I think @Spatt is correct though about the Suter engaging a little more abrupt, although my experience in actual use it still seemed smooth and wasn't an issue.  I won't know about durability with the Suter for some time as it's brand new with only one race weekend on it, but it's a quality part and I expect to have no issues.

As far as GP shift, all my race bikes are set up that way, and my street bikes are standard shift.  I like GP on the track because as it was mentioned, you can change up a gear at extreme lean angles - normal shift pattern won’t allow you to get your toes under the shift lever at lean.

For me the switch back and forth is easy because it's muscle memory and my environment.  When I'm in my race leathers at the track, my brain is in GP mode.  When I'm geared up for the street on public roads, my brain is in standard shift mode.  For me that switch is easy to make.  The only time it gets crossed is when I happen to be wearing my race leathers on the street with my street bikes, THEN, sometimes I get it wrong and miss a shift haha.

- Paul

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pgeldz said:

I've used both the Yoyodyne and Suter.  The Yoyodyne was fine and worked like it should, but it had a small click in the clutch lever and as time went on it got worse which I never really liked. 

When I transformed my FZ-07 to a dedicated race bike I switched to the Suter.  I only have one race weekend on it, but I like it better than the Yoyodyne.  No click in the lever, and it just works.  I think @Spatt is correct though about the Suter engaging a little more abrupt, although my experience in actual use it still seemed smooth and wasn't an issue.  I won't know about durability with the Suter for some time as it's brand new with only one race weekend on it, but it's a quality part and I expect to have no issues.

As far as GP shift, all my race bikes are set up that way, and my street bikes are standard shift.  I like GP on the track because as it was mentioned, you can change up a gear at extreme lean angles - normal shift pattern won’t allow you to get your toes under the shift lever at lean.

For me the switch back and forth is easy because it's muscle memory and my environment.  When I'm in my race leathers at the track, my brain is in GP mode.  When I'm geared up for the street on public roads, my brain is in standard shift mode.  For me that switch is easy to make.  The only time it gets crossed is when I happen to be wearing my race leathers on the street with my street bikes, THEN, and only then, my brain gets confused, haha.

- Paul

It was really just the engagement on the dyno.  I could feel it more than the Yoyo.  I’m sure it’s a nice unit.  For the dollars being the same I’ll stick with Yoyo on my personal stuff and bikes for the team.  I wouldn’t hesitate to put it in a build if someone wanted it though.  It’s also more fickle to install.  

Get your MT07 & FZ07 racing parts at https://www.robemengineering.com/fz-07-products

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Spatt said:

It was really just the engagement on the dyno.  I could feel it more than the Yoyo.  I’m sure it’s a nice unit.  For the dollars being the same I’ll stick with Yoyo on my personal stuff and bikes for the team.  I wouldn’t hesitate to put it in a build if someone wanted it though.  It’s also more fickle to install.  

Yeah, they are more pricey for sure.  Good to know about the install though.  Good thing I didn't install either one (left that up to the real mechanics, haha)

Just now, pgeldz said:

Yeah, they are more pricey for sure.  Good to know about the install though.  Good thing I didn't install either one (left that up to the real mechanics, haha)

Should have only been $50 retail more. $850 vs $899 retail I think. 

• Like 3

Get your MT07 & FZ07 racing parts at https://www.robemengineering.com/fz-07-products

4 minutes ago, Spatt said:

Should have only been $50 retail more. $850 vs $899 retail I think. 

This is correct as what I found price wise.  Ive only ever had STM slippers before and they all had a "click" I suppose on  the second or third downshift. My understanding is after the first downshift the ramp is open so when pulling in the lever for the second or third downshift it was the ramp closing that transfers back through the lever. Ive also only ever installed the stm's so Ill see how the install goes compared to that and report back. 

• Like 2

On 2/17/2020 at 11:45 PM, cornerslider said:

I went to Blackhawk Farms later that year. There's a certain corner there, where I had the "a-ha" moment, I clearly understood the whole GP shift idea.... I still haven't committed to it, but I can clearly the benefits 😎👍-

I know exactly which corner you are talking about.

• Premium Member
On 2/17/2020 at 6:41 PM, cosp600rr said:

I still try to be smooth with the clutch release

I don't have a slipper, and only 1 track day experience. I never thought about "smooth with the clutch release" I normally drop only 1 gear somewhere between 7.5K-6.5K for 5th-4th or 6.5K- 5.5K for 4th-3rd. as I'm breaking, bliping, and I leave the clutch straight out. Am I doing it wrong? Damaging parts? I'd add that with my lack of experience I'm doing this in advance of tipping in.

I've another track day possibly coming up in 2 weeks, and since my first 1 I've been going over in my head  where I can be smoother by not downshifting in certain corners. @pgeldz knows the track ccw at Hallett:

• Like 2

This is not me but here is I think a good example. I dont know that Im as smooth and easy as this guy but similar. Nothing on the bike should be an on off switch. The smoother the better.  @fzar

Edited by cosp600rr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1