Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
limenuke

'16 Dash died, replaced accidentally with '17 ABS dash, speed is doubled.

Recommended Posts

limenuke

So I own a 2016 non-ABS FZ07. The old dash died (went blank, but for some reason, can occasionally boot. have no idea what's wrong wiht it.) I went on ebay and thought I could buy any fz07  dash - I was wrong. I got a 2017 dash with ABS. After installing, I'm finding the dash appears to be reading double the speed I'm doing (ie, if I'm riding 30mph, I see 60mph on my dash). 

I've verified that it's not because I have it toggled to km/h instead. It makes me wonder if 2016 bikes had double the magnets for wheel speed compared to 2017 bikes, resulting in double the number of reads expect on the 2017 dash - thereby doubling my speed. Is there any way to adjust this or change this value?

Besides just ordering another '16 dash and trying to sell the '17 dash, does anyone have any ideas on how I can make my '17 dash work? Presently the ABS light is on (well, 16' doesn't have ABS. So I'm not worried about that). I just want the number to read correctly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
stickshift

If you have a non-ABS bike you need a non-ABS dash.

Non-ABS bikes use the gearbox speed sensor to calculate the speed, I imagine that ABS bikes use the wheel speed sensor (slotted ring) to determine speed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
geophb
6 hours ago, limenuke said:

I've verified that it's not because I have it toggled to km/h instead. It makes me wonder if 2016 bikes had double the magnets for wheel speed compared to 2017 bikes, resulting in double the number of reads expect on the 2017 dash - thereby doubling my speed. Is there any way to adjust this or change this value?

Abs bikes use the wheel speed sensors for the speedometer. Same number of magnets, its probably because the reluctor ring looking thing in the transmission pings the sensor half as much as the trigger wheel on the abs equipped units. 

Your best bet is to get a new non-abs dash.  IIRC the new dash was same price as used (about 200).

Did your ODO keep the mileage or change to what was on the '17 dash?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
limenuke

The dash keeps its own memory of the odometer, so I got the other bike's odo. Fortunately, it's not too far off from my odometer. 

Facebook forums have told me that I could just get a speedhealer which seems to make sense as it's just a device that does a factor multiplication to your speed to get the right number.

Part of me wants to just try to resell my 2017 dash, and buy a new dash though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
geophb
16 minutes ago, limenuke said:

Part of me wants to just try to resell my 2017 dash, and buy a new dash though.

I would do this. Forget that speedhealer mickey mouse headache setup.  Just do it right. Plus if you have a new dash you will have zero miles on your bike 😁

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shinyribs

Man, this is not confidence inspiring. Are there many reported cases of gauge failures? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
botticelli

Mileage is stored in the ECU to my knowledge?


'16 FZ07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DewMan
5 hours ago, botticelli said:

Mileage is stored in the ECU to my knowledge?

The consensus is it's stored in the dash.

  • Like 1

DewMan
 
Just shut up and ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
twf
On 2/10/2020 at 11:51 AM, limenuke said:

The dash keeps its own memory of the odometer, so I got the other bike's odo. Fortunately, it's not too far off from my odometer. 

Facebook forums have told me that I could just get a speedhealer which seems to make sense as it's just a device that does a factor multiplication to your speed to get the right number.

Part of me wants to just try to resell my 2017 dash, and buy a new dash though.

 

I have brand new 16 dash if interested. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AP996
18 hours ago, botticelli said:

Mileage is stored in the ECU to my knowledge?

No mileage is stored on the dash, swapped my ecu, mileage is still the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
limenuke
4 hours ago, AP996 said:

No mileage is stored on the dash, swapped my ecu, mileage is still the same.

By this, he means:

"No, mileage is stored on the dash."

Yes, if you take the dash apart, theres two distinct pieces inside: the LCD display and the board. The board is where all the memory is. I suspect the board is busted on mine. I'm going to take my board to my friend's workshop and try to reflow all the solder. I used a soldering iron to reflow the connector's pins, but that didn't fix it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
botticelli

Thanks for the info, learn something new everyday!


'16 FZ07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.