The MT-07 Forum

Is it time to replace my chain???

Bigturbomax

Alright getting ready to order a new chain. Picking up a DID 525VX x-ring chain, 9220 tensile strength. 120 links(i have cut off wheel and chain breaker to bring links down to 108). My rear sprocket is getting reused, period.  Heres my pause tho, i cant throw more than $100 at this right now and the chain is $80. The front sprocket looks just as good as the rear. I do not have a rivet tool but i do have a new 525vx clip style master link with about 200 miles on it that i bought when i pulled my stock chain off the inspect it and the sprockets better. 

So should i get the new chain and pick up cheap rivet tool reusing both sprockets? OR get the chain and a new front sprocket using the clip style link i have? I hear front sprockets wear a lot faster, but mine seriously has no visible wear. The replacement i found is a JT sprocket stock 16 tooth for $17. Also, ive heard my harbor freight chain breaker can set a rivet master with a little creativity. So what is y'alls thoughts here. Im leaning towards just the chain and a rivet tool right now. 

Here's the products I'm looking at

Check this out at Amazon.com
DID 525VX-120 X-Ring Chain with Connecting Link https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006O85YPI/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_giRvEbC0Z53B6

JT Sprockets JTF1591.16 16T Steel Front Sprocket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0068O7NNE/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_9sRvEbY9C9XDS

ABN Chain Breaker 13-Piece Set with Carrying Case - Chain Cutter and Riveter for Motorcycle, Bike, ATV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EO17L02/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_4tRvEb3NDTH3R

• Premium Member

Looks like I'm a bit late to the party..... I personally wouldn't put a new high-quality chain on "old" sprockets- period. I hate to be a "Debbie-downer", but it seems like throwing good money-after bad to me? Your new high quality chain will wear out faster on "old" sprockets- PERIOD. My personal opinion is if you buy the chain, and front sprocket now, that's a good plan 😎👍. But- I would wait until you have the funds for a rear sprocket before installing them. At 16,000 miles on the OEM, they don't owe you anything at this point. I would guess (based on this thread), that you could easily get another 1,000 miles out of the OEM. It sounds like you take very good care of the chain & sprockets by checking/lubing regularly (I do the same with mine as well). That being said, I only managed 5,200 miles on mine. I've tried to "save" on this sort of thing in the past. It didn't end well 🙄... My experience is that you get what you pay for with final gearing/drive. Don't be tempted by a "bargain" chain & sprockets. Buy the best that's available. Take care of it (as it looks like you have done). You won't be disappointed.... I know this sounds like a "contradiction", but- 25 years ago, I got stranded in the far left lane, on the interstate, in rush hour traffic by trying to "save" on final drive components. I broke my chain, and I'm lucky it didn't wreck my cases, or my body.... Let me tell you it's a VERY helpless feeling 😞 being stranded in a major metro area. Since then, I replace all final drive components at the same time. I check them often, and replace them often (at the VERY first sign of wear). I hope my experience helps you (or anyone else reading this post)-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

I have a motion pro rivet tool. If you grind the rivet head off it will push pins through all day. IDK anything about the Harbor Freight tool so can't comnent.

I will say dont ever use anything but a rivet link.

to check your rear sprocket wrap the new chain around it and try to pull it away from the teeth. If it's good it will barely move.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

I have a stock chain I am not going to use. It is in good shape with only about 3k on it. I have both sprockets too, just have to break chain and remove front sprocket. Going to do it Monday I think. You can have them if it helps you out. Another option for you. Pm me if you think it can help. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cornerslider said:

Looks like I'm a bit late to the party..... I personally wouldn't put a new high-quality chain on "old" sprockets- period. I hate to be a "Debbie-downer", but it seems like throwing good money-after bad to me? Your new high quality chain will wear out faster on "old" sprockets- PERIOD. My personal opinion is if you buy the chain, and front sprocket now, that's a good plan 😎👍. But- I would wait until you have the funds for a rear sprocket before installing them. At 16,000 miles on the OEM, they don't owe you anything at this point. I would guess (based on this thread), that you could easily get another 1,000 miles out of the OEM. It sounds like you take very good care of the chain & sprockets by checking/lubing regularly (I do the same with mine as well). That being said, I only managed 5,200 miles on mine. I've tried to "save" on this sort of thing in the past. It didn't end well 🙄... My experience is that you get what you pay for with final gearing/drive. Don't be tempted by a "bargain" chain & sprockets. Buy the best that's available. Take care of it (as it looks like you have done). You won't be disappointed.... I know this sounds like a "contradiction", but- 25 years ago, I got stranded in the far left lane, on the interstate, in rush hour traffic by trying to "save" on final drive components. I broke my chain, and I'm lucky it didn't wreck my cases, or my body.... Let me tell you it's a VERY helpless feeling 😞 being stranded in a major metro area. Since then, I replace all final drive components at the same time. I check them often, and replace them often (at the VERY first sign of wear). I hope my experience helps you (or anyone else reading this post)-

What he said!

Take up 1tondrivers generous offer rather than do an incomplete swap with new chain.

And when you change it get a rivet link or buy a closed loop chain.

Edited by bugeyes

On 2/26/2020 at 9:05 PM, 1tondriver said:

I have a stock chain I am not going to use. It is in good shape with only about 3k on it. I have both sprockets too, just have to break chain and remove front sprocket. Going to do it Monday I think. You can have them if it helps you out. Another option for you. Pm me if you think it can help. 

PM'd

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

2019 Yamaha MT-07 with 7,246 miles. After washing the bike and while cleaning the chain this o ring fell off. Should I get a new chain?

image.jpg

• Premium Member
cornerslider

YES-   I used to neglect my chain. I had a chain failure (broken) on the interstate, in rush our traffic about 20 years ago. Probably on of the scariest time I've ever experienced on a bike...

Thanks. I was certainly convinced but I wanted to have a second opinion.  It is frustrating but better safe than sorry as you indicated from you past experience. I’ll order it right away. Thanks again.

• Premium Member
cornerslider
18 minutes ago, DomRam66 said:

Thanks. I was certainly convinced but I wanted to have a second opinion.  It is frustrating but better safe than sorry as you indicated from you past experience. I’ll order it right away. Thanks again.

FYI: You should replace the chain AND both sprockets at the same time.... If not, you will wear out your new chain quickly. They "wear into each other", and should be replaced as a set. You can usually get a good chain/sprocket kit for around $200. Good luck-

I did a 520 conversion recently for relatively cheap for good parts

RK 520 GXW 116 - $72 - RKs top of the line chain, Amazon

Vortex 435S-43 - $15 - Got lucky with amazon but weights more than stock 525 sprocket 😱

Renthal 309U-520-16 - $33 - Splurged for one of the best

So shop around and you can get it cheaper, the conversion kit is same as the 08-14 R1.

Edited by InsaneDawe