The MT-07 Forum

Crazy Idea--Anybody Ever Tried This?

bornagainbiker

For a pure straight liner I might consider it but no way on a twisty road. Give it a go and let us know how it works out 😁

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker
2 hours ago, 1tondriver said:

For a pure straight liner I might consider it but no way on a twisty road. Give it a go and let us know how it works out 😁

It would be perfect at the dragstrip, but I think I'll pass. 😁

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

Tried this? Been doing it for years on my Honda ST1300. 

I know what your thinking, I did too till I rode one with it. I'm even double dark, car tire on back and rear MC tire on the front. The trick is to run the rear at about 28 PSI, depending on tire, bike type etc. I go through rear MC tires on this bike at 5-6K miles. It gets old. 

There is a learning curve, just like when you put on new MC tires from old flat ones. A few miles and you're over it. 

Don't think it doesn't handle in the curves either, it does. Not many straight roads here where I live. I wouldn't tolerate bad handling, I love cornering.

Lots of pics of the Darkside at the Dragon.

Over on the ST1300 forum I'm on it's controversial too. Same as in general. 

Goldwings, cruisers, sport touring bikes etc. A LOT of them are doing it. Been going on for at least 20 years. Next rally you go to start checking rear tires, you might be amazed.

Haven't and probably won't do the FZ07 that way.

• Like 1

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

• Premium Member

Yeah No... Just NO!

"The car tire bead fits a MC rim like I fit a bikini." 🤣

• Haha 3

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

So you are squishy enough to conform to a bikini?   Seems people think tire beads are made of metal or something, have to be a perfect fit to the bead.  They're soft compound that will vary in size due to characteristics of the compound, plus it will conform to fit the rim bead.  It's soft rubber....

If I rode a lot here in the flat lands I'd seriously consider a car tire on a bike, definitely if a cruiser or tourer.  

Please, no pictures of the bikini...  

Edited by klx678

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, klx678 said:

So you are squishy enough to conform to a bikini?   Seems people think tire beads are made of metal or something, have to be a perfect fit to the bead.  They're soft compound that will vary in size due to characteristics of the compound, plus it will conform to fit the rim bead.  It's soft rubber....

If I rode a lot here in the flat lands I'd seriously consider a car tire on a bike, definitely if a cruiser or tourer.  

Please, no pictures of the bikini...  

Yeah I'm squishy... but I was quoting the the guy in the video. 😁

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, DewMan said:

Yeah No... Just NO!

"The car tire bead fits a MC rim like I fit a bikini." 🤣

You and me both, I have the breasts but I'm lacking in all other departments. Too many to mention. Just to clarify I haven't tried on a bikini, I just know what's what.

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, bornagainbiker said:

It would be perfect at the dragstrip, but I think I'll pass. 😁

Do they not sell drag tyres for motorcycles? Last I checked at Gainesville, FLA. and NJ they ran them. If you don't like them slick you can cut them to suit!

Seems like the perfect tire for anyone living in Florida, with it's never ending straight roads. 😀 😫

• Like 1

Beemer

I'll admit to never running a car tire on a bike, right off the bat. And I know lots of people run them without crashing, so I'm not gonna say anything like that either. Proof is in the pudding, right?

I have used up a LOT of motorcycle tires of varying profiles. Compared to a flat car tire, all of them would be considered extremely round. But the bike tires compared to each other, the differences in profiles were very slight, or impossible to see, with the naked eye. However, the change in handling between profiles was HUGE! 

My current Road 5 has the same profile of a Shinko Raven. Very gradual and relaxed- noticeably extra amounts of pressure needed to turn. Take a tire like anything from the Pirelli Corso line up where they all run steep profiles- very little pressure to lean in. Bikes can tip in s easily that some describe it as nervous. 

Go look at pictures of those tires and look at their profiles and think about how much it affects handling. 

Quick visual recap. Really study the differing shape of these tires closely. 

1: Neutral, slow handling profile

michelin_road5_tires_750x750.jpg

2: Quick, fast handling profile

pirelli_diablo_rosso_iii_tires_750x750.j

See how slight the difference? Remember how drastically it changed the handling of the bike? Now let's consider this profile:

FK510_Sidewall_WEB.png

While we're at it, let's remove ALL of the sidewall flex tread, carcass flex, water evacuating technology and rubber compound technology specifically developed to match up with a vehicle that must lean to turn. No f@#king thank you. 

I'm absolutely positive you can put a car tire on a bike. I'm absolutely positive you can make it go, lean and stop without crashing it. But to tell me it handles just fine? There's no way. This Road 5 I'm on now is a fine tire, but I can make this thing slide EASY. A Bridgestone S21 sticks like fly paper. HUGE differences in performance between two somewhat similar tires.  Now stray as far away as a car tire..there's no way you can tell me it comes close to performing on a bike. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, DewMan said:

Yeah I'm squishy... but I was quoting the the guy in the video. 😁

Awe Geez...  that means I gotta watch the darn thing to get it all.    😖

Now I watched it.   Like the bikini quote and still think it holds true to my comments.   

I do get a kick out of the grip example that the tread patch isn't in the formula.  I think the reason why is that is only part of the relevant formulas.   I had my driver's ed teacher tell me drag racers used bald tires because they wanted them to spin and slip.  I said, "if they want that why don't they run the skinny tires on the back?" in a rather sarcastic tone.     Same thing here.  if contact patch doesn't come into play why do the makers keep putting wider and wider tires with bigger and bigger contact patches on the back of the bikes?    

Oh well, screw it.  Doesn't matter to me, like was said, I'll decide what risks I'll take and go squish into a bikini too if I feel like it.    I don't plan on running a car tire, because I try to ride on roads that actually have corners and all.  I also figure I'll try a Michelin touring type tire when I need to change.  A friend has them on his ZX14 and said he rode around 5000 miles this last summer and the tire looked like it had no wear on it at all.

Have a good one.

Oh, to throw another spanner in the works, just how skinny a tire can we run on the back wheel of these 700s?   Anyone running smaller than the 180?  I think that's what's on mine.   I'd love to run a 160, but doubt it is possible.  Too narrow for the rim.

Edited by klx678

• Premium Member
44 minutes ago, klx678 said:

I had my driver's ed teacher tell me drag racers used bald tires because they wanted them to spin and slip.  I said, "if they want that why don't they run the skinny tires on the back?" in a rather sarcastic tone. 

Your teacher was an idiot. He must have been related to my Driver's Ed teacher who tried to tell us that "motorcycles can't stop as fast as a car because they have a smaller contact patch"  I ask him "What about the contact patch size vs weight ratio being higher on a motorcycle?"

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

3 hours ago, klx678 said:

Awe Geez...  that means I gotta watch the darn thing to get it all.    😖

Now I watched it.   Like the bikini quote and still think it holds true to my comments.   

I do get a kick out of the grip example that the tread patch isn't in the formula.  I think the reason why is that is only part of the relevant formulas.   I had my driver's ed teacher tell me drag racers used bald tires because they wanted them to spin and slip.  I said, "if they want that why don't they run the skinny tires on the back?" in a rather sarcastic tone.     Same thing here.  if contact patch doesn't come into play why do the makers keep putting wider and wider tires with bigger and bigger contact patches on the back of the bikes?    

Oh well, screw it.  Doesn't matter to me, like was said, I'll decide what risks I'll take and go squish into a bikini too if I feel like it.    I don't plan on running a car tire, because I try to ride on roads that actually have corners and all.  I also figure I'll try a Michelin touring type tire when I need to change.  A friend has them on his ZX14 and said he rode around 5000 miles this last summer and the tire looked like it had no wear on it at all.

Have a good one.

Oh, to throw another spanner in the works, just how skinny a tire can we run on the back wheel of these 700s?   Anyone running smaller than the 180?  I think that's what's on mine.   I'd love to run a 160, but doubt it is possible.  Too narrow for the rim.

Yeah, too narrow for the rim, unfortunately. A 160 would be quite deformed at that point. 

The weight and price difference of a 180 vs 160 is practically nothing. Actually, 180's are often cheaper due to how common they are. Better selection of choices as well. 

If you want that narrow tire feel I would suggest buying a tire with a steep profile. Jmo, of course. 

Actually it is part price driven and the other part what I'd like but can't afford.    I figure you and others here know there are good buys on 180s, so the price isn't really a big deal.   The size - I wish I could have an 18/19 wheel set on the bike like the Indian FTR1200.  I'd like more the flat track look with the XSR.  But I can't afford the $2100 a set of wheels to fit would cost...  at least not at this point.  Who knows what the future holds.

Regardless, I certainly don't have any problem with the 700!   Got to go for a putt with the temps reaching high 50°s to low 60°s here in Columbus area today.   Really enjoyed doing about an hour or so.   Reminds me why so many here and I like that bike family.

• Like 1

I can see that with a car tire it would be slow to lean and after a certain point it's going to lean much quicker, so quick the bike will probably go from lean to full low side in a wink. 😉 

Beemer

• Premium Member

Y'all forget about smaller sized car tires like ones for a geo metro or maybe a small helicopter tire?  

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW