The MT-07 Forum

Before buying help

Decreasing Radius

Decreasing Radius

Hello,

I'm new here, and I'm planning to get a used MT/FZ 07. Before I do, I've a few questions that I hope to get answered here, that would help me make a sound decision. 

1. Which model years should I consider? (Not looking for a brand new one)

2. Is it too much for daily commuting? (I'm upgrading from a KTM Duke 390)

3. Is there any necessary modifications I need to make it track ready? (General track days)

4. How does the bike perform in the long run? (Maintenance, long term reliability, quality feasibility)

5. How much can you open up in the canyons?

I live in Pennsylvania, USA for reference. 

Any answers your help me make a sound purchase decision. 

Thanks. 

• Premium Member

Any year is good- just a few cosmetic changes over the years... reliability in the long run is superb...

General Track days- at least an aftermarket rear shock and fork upgrades...even reccomend for every day riding...

• Like 2

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Decreasing Radius said:

Hello,

I'm new here, and I'm planning to get a used MT/FZ 07. Before I do, I've a few questions that I hope to get answered here, that would help me make a sound decision. 

2. Is it too much for daily commuting? (I'm upgrading from a KTM Duke 390)

3. Is there any necessary modifications I need to make it track ready? (General track days)

4. How does the bike perform in the long run? (Maintenance, long term reliability, quality feasibility)

I live in Pennsylvania, USA for reference. 

Any answers your help me make a sound purchase decision. 

Thanks. 

WOW!!! You found the right guy.... I used to track a 2016 KTM RC390! I got too "old" to ride it on track (I'm 50). I sold it to buy an Duke 390 in 2017... After several missed delivery dates, I bought a "carry-over" 2016 FZ-07 (2 weeks before my first pre-paid track day of the  2017 season). The FZ/MT -07 platform is the same for all years. The engine, and chassis is the same for all years. They changed the bodywork, and did minor upgrades to the shock in 2018. Other than that, it's essentially the same bike! As for commuting, my personal best milage in a single day is 347 miles. I was comfortable on the stock FZ-07 seat for about 275 of those miles..... As for track days, that's another story- The OEM suspension will get you on track to see if you like track riding. If you want to progress , you will NEED to upgrade. There's no "nice" way to say it... As far as maintenance, the FZ/MT-07 platform in as close to bullet-proof as it gets! I have ridden mine in the "canyons", and the bike was more capable than I was.... I have many years of track riding experience- "canyon riders" are a different breed to me? I hope I answered some of your questions? I have over 40 years of riding experience. I have NEVER found a bike as versatile as the FZ/MT-07 platform. Think of it as a blank white canvas.... You can paint it into ANYTHING you like-

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

The seat is better on the current model though maybe not much(?).  The only fault I have had in 5 years (low miles) is a blown bulb.  Engine is absolutely supreme. The suspension is poor on rough surfaces when you are pressing on; I put up with it. Apart from that you can 'bimble' about on it or push it. Fab bike, for me. Smiles all the way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just do it! 

Hey welcome, I'm in PA also. 

All model years are good. Craig's list, Cycle Trader etc. have many for sale used.

Don't understand "too much for commuting". My other bike is a ST1300 and I commuted on that.

I don't do track days, can't help there. I did upgrade the front and rear suspension eventually.

Reliability is great. Just witness all the wheelie videos on Youtube. Just don't hear of blown engines.

Find a used one, check it for crash damage, maintenance, etc. Go for it.

• Thanks 1

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

Decreasing Radius
26 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

All model years are good. Craig's list, Cycle Trader etc. have many for sale used.

Don't understand "too much for commuting". My other bike is a ST1300 and I commuted on that.

I don't do track days, can't help there. I did upgrade the front and rear suspension eventually.

Reliability is great. Just witness all the wheelie videos on Youtube. Just don't hear of blown engines.

Sorry for being so vague. By 'too much" i ment, is it overpowered for city streets. 

25 minutes ago, peteinpa said:

Decreasing Radius
8 hours ago, cornerslider said:

WOW!!! You found the right guy.... I used to track a 2016 KTM RC390! I got too "old" to ride it on track (I'm 50). I sold it to buy an Duke 390 in 2017... After several missed delivery dates, I bought a "carry-over" 2016 FZ-07 (2 weeks before my first pre-paid track day of the  2017 season). The FZ/MT -07 platform is the same for all years. The engine, and chassis is the same for all years. They changed the bodywork, and did minor upgrades to the shock in 2018. Other than that, it's essentially the same bike! As for commuting, my personal best milage in a single day is 347 miles. I was comfortable on the stock FZ-07 seat for about 275 of those miles..... As for track days, that's another story- The OEM suspension will get you on track to see if you like track riding. If you want to progress , you will NEED to upgrade. There's no "nice" way to say it... As far as maintenance, the FZ/MT-07 platform in as close to bullet-proof as it gets! I have ridden mine in the "canyons", and the bike was more capable than I was.... I have many years of track riding experience- "canyon riders" are a different breed to me? I hope I answered some of your questions? I have over 40 years of riding experience. I have NEVER found a bike as versatile as the FZ/MT-07 platform. Think of it as a blank white canvas.... You can paint it into ANYTHING you like-

Thanks a lot for your input. Helped out quite a lot. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
31 minutes ago, Decreasing Radius said:

Sorry for being so vague. By 'too much" i ment, is it overpowered for city streets

Not at all... its perfectly at home in the city and back roads... 

• Thanks 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, geophb said:

To add,  2018+ is also abs only  

and to be more specific ABS was available as an option in 2017 but only on the "rapid red" colored model as well. ✌️

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

13 hours ago, Decreasing Radius said:

Which model years should I consider?

Best bang for the buck would be 2018 although 2019 would be fine too.

The reason I saw this is not only does it have ABS standard, but it has the better seat and upgraded suspension. The seat and suspension are both typical upgrades folks make on the earlier models.

I have a 2016, and one of the very few that actually likes the seat that comes on the 2015-2017 models. I did sink some bucks into the suspension though. FWIW, if you are on the short side as I am (5'6"), the 2018+ is a challenge due to the wider seat which spreads your legs out compared to the earlier models.

The FZ/MT-07 is an awesome bike that you can use for many applications. I've done 500 miles in a day on several occasions and felt great afterward, plus it's super quick and fast handling for commuter riding.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

They are all fantastic, My wife and I have had a 2016, 2017, and a 2018, I'm partial to the 2016 for the lack of abs.

2. Is it too much for daily commuting?

NOPE! Its the perfect commuter bike IMO. I do ~120 miles a day, Highway, city, back roads you name it.

3. Is there any necessary modifications I need to make it track ready?

rear shock/link, Tires, Tune, front suspension, that order. But easy enough to send it in stock form. Coming form a 390, YMMV. I would say the only thing you need is a rear shock.

4. How does the bike perform in the long run?

The 2017 My wife and I shared had 86K on it when we sold it,  Her 2018 has about 40k, and my 2016, about ~35k. Yamaha built these bikes to a price point yes, but they saved money in places that are not the motor(suspension for starters). The motor on this bike is bullet proof, bomb proof, I ride pretty spirited, and my wife is a banshee, Do the "regularly scheduled" maintenance according to Yamaha owners book, and the bike will last 100k easily, the one we took to 86K needed a decent valve adjustment at 28k, and then the tiny adjustments at 50k & 70k, and everything was still in speck at 85k... Bombproof motors. I would recommend getting a 2WDW tune. All 3 on my bikes have had them, 2 of them from day one, and one at 10k onward.

SEND IT! As much as you want! Its an amazing bike

680910413_Screenshot2017-07-3119_31_25.thumb.png.cee507321cd11884d780f5d01ee70328.png

Screenshot 2017-07-31 19.29.48.png

20170625 Palomar Mountain C2 198-L.jpg

20170625 Palomar Mountain C2 1319-L.jpg

20170625 Palomar Mountain C1 1051-L.jpg

• Thanks 1

'16 FZ07

Decreasing Radius
23 minutes ago, botticelli said:

They are all fantastic, My wife and I have had a 2016, 2017, and a 2018, I'm partial to the 2016 for the lack of abs.

2. Is it too much for daily commuting?

NOPE! Its the perfect commuter bike IMO. I do ~120 miles a day, Highway, city, back roads you name it.

3. Is there any necessary modifications I need to make it track ready?

rear shock/link, Tires, Tune, front suspension, that order. But easy enough to send it in stock form. Coming form a 390, YMMV. I would say the only thing you need is a rear shock.

4. How does the bike perform in the long run?

The 2017 My wife and I shared had 86K on it when we sold it,  Her 2018 has about 40k, and my 2016, about ~35k. Yamaha built these bikes to a price point yes, but they saved money in places that are not the motor(suspension for starters). The motor on this bike is bullet proof, bomb proof, I ride pretty spirited, and my wife is a banshee, Do the "regularly scheduled" maintenance according to Yamaha owners book, and the bike will last 100k easily, the one we took to 86K needed a decent valve adjustment at 28k, and then the tiny adjustments at 50k & 70k, and everything was still in speck at 85k... Bombproof motors. I would recommend getting a 2WDW tune. All 3 on my bikes have had them, 2 of them from day one, and one at 10k onward.

SEND IT! As much as you want! Its an amazing bike

680910413_Screenshot2017-07-3119_31_25.thumb.png.cee507321cd11884d780f5d01ee70328.png

Screenshot 2017-07-31 19.29.48.png

20170625 Palomar Mountain C2 198-L.jpg

20170625 Palomar Mountain C2 1319-L.jpg

20170625 Palomar Mountain C1 1051-L.jpg

Thanks a lot for your input. Amazing pictures BTW.