The MT-07 Forum

So, what's the quietest non-stock exhaust

klx678

Question for the masses, also asked in the ADVrider forum...

What is the quietest exhaust system other than the stock one?    I am looking at the longer Delkevic exhaust, kind of like the S&S run on the Estenson flat track bikes.   I want a bit more tone, not about volume, but tone.  It would be nice to have an exhaust that would allow some revs without going off the dB meter.

• Premium Member
On 1/30/2020 at 8:53 PM, stickshift said:

Akra ti with baffle in. Makes a much nicer sound than stock but is no louder (unless you remove the baffle). Sounds amazing.

I have the Akropovic Ti exhaust. I also have it paired withe the Hordpower intake, and a 2WDW ECU flash. The Akropovic Ti makes the exact same HP with the Db killer (insert) IN, as it does with it OUT.... Why be a douchbag, and annoy everyone around you? I back @stickshift all the way on this one!!!! Honestly, when I see an FZ/MT-07 with the Akrapovic Ti w/o the insert in, it screams "I'M NEW HERE. AND DIDN'T ENOUGH ATTENTION AS A CHILD"...... There are seriously ZERO reasons to remove the insert for street, or track use for that matter- (IMO)....

• Like 2

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

I'm 66 years old and only looking for a few dB more with better tone and a better looking pipe on the XSR.   Totally vain.   I'm looking seriously at the Delkevic systems and the fact that they do like three different quiet cores is definitely appealing.  If the standard is too loud, go to the longer quieter one for $30.  May just order one when I decide to order the pipe to avoid additional shipping.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 1/30/2020 at 11:37 PM, cornerslider said:

I have the Akropovic Ti exhaust. I also have it paired withe the Hordpower intake, and a 2WDW ECU flash. The Akropovic Ti makes the exact same HP with the Db killer (insert) IN, as it does with it OUT.... Why be a douchbag, and annoy everyone around you? I back @stickshift all the way on this one!!!! Honestly, when I see an FZ/MT-07 with the Akrapovic Ti w/o the insert in, it screams "I'M NEW HERE. AND DIDN'T ENOUGH ATTENTION AS A CHILD"...... There is seriously ZERO reason to remove the insert for street, or track use for that matter- (IMO)....

I also have the Akrapovic-Ti baffle in. It has a sweet rumble to it. As I was fitting it  to my bike, I put on the headers and for shits and giggles I started it up with the collector on, and sweet jebus that thing sounded like a Rolls & Royce bomber. Admittedly I haven't taken the baffle out, but if it's close to what I experienced. NO. It was fun and all, but, too much. My wife shrieked and was seriously disturbed by the DB.

Yoshimura Y series is also a great choice for not louder but actually sounds like a motorcycle. Looks darn nice too.

6675-1.jpg

Shop for Yoshimura XSR700 Y-Series Full Exhaust System at...

6675-3.jpg

Edited by Bigturbomax
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Never seen that system before??? Is it exclusive to the XSR 700? Looks like a nice system, having the length (for power), and the longer silencer for obvious reasons. Is that your personal bike?

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member

I also vote for the Arka-Ti with baffle installed. I was looking for better sound than the factory sewing machine on my 2017 FZ-07, not something louder. The bassy rumble of the Akra-Ti fit the bill perfectly for me. I've had it a couple years now and I'd do it again.

Good luck with whatever solution you decide to go with.👍

Note: the Akra-Ti isn't listed for 2017+ models of the FZ/MT-07 but it fits perfectly on all model years. You have to search the Akrapovic site for a 2015-2016 model to see the listing. 

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Well, let's have some fun with this one. Having been on this forum for 4 years, I remember old threads, and one in particular was by 2WDW where he got his best run with the FZ-07 using the Akra Ti with the baffle removed. The only other mod was the snorkel removed and a DNA air filter. It even surprised him. As that was almost 4 years ago, it would be interesting to talk with Nels about that to see what has changed.

I have had the displeasure of riding beside a FZ-07 with the Akra Ti minus the baffle, and that thing was f%cking loud, so I am not a fan, but numbers don't lie. Those numbers were enough to consider going deaf 😣

For those that haven't seen that thread, give it a read:

https://fz07.org/thread/4910/fz-07-akrapovic-ti/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cornerslider said:

Never seen that system before??? Is it exclusive to the XSR 700? Looks like a nice system, having the length (for power), and the longer silencer for obvious reasons. Is that your personal bike?

No, i found that image on google cuz OP said xsr700. However, i also have the Y series exhaust on my fz07. Same system with different badge. This is my personal bike

20190721_192428_001.jpg

Edited by Bigturbomax
  • Like 2

^^^^id like to add that i swapped my CARB approved 80db baffle for the yoshi race 99db baffle, popped in a K and N, ported an MWR lid and have been tweeking my FTecu flash for about a year now....the power loop works, torque still hits real hard in the low range but bike breaths up top. I used to shift around 7500 cuz i could actually feel the bike drop off up top. It now rips all the way to the limiter. I love the way this set up runs on my bike. 

Edited by Bigturbomax

• 2 weeks later...

Yes has to be the Akrapovic Ti with the baffle in. I have yet to take mine out. Worried about the neighbours with an early start most mornings. Very nice exhaust and sounds way better than stock but everyone knows that.

It seems to sound better as time goes on only done 500 miles with it on. Plus I like the hidden look.

install-akrapovic-mt07.jpg

We show you the correct procedure how to install an Akrapovic Ti carbon exhaust onto the famous Yamaha MT07 to improve performance and sound.

• Premium Member
On 2/1/2020 at 9:29 PM, FZ07R WaNaB said:

Well, let's have some fun with this one. Having been on this forum for 4 years, I remember old threads, and one in particular was by 2WDW where he got his best run with the FZ-07 using the Akra Ti with the baffle removed. The only other mod was the snorkel removed and a DNA air filter. It even surprised him. As that was almost 4 years ago, it would be interesting to talk with Nels about that to see what has changed.

I have had the displeasure of riding beside a FZ-07 with the Akra Ti minus the baffle, and that thing was f%cking loud, so I am not a fan, but numbers don't lie. Those numbers were enough to consider going deaf 😣

For those that haven't seen that thread, give it a read:

Interesting read. They @2wheeldynoworks now recommend the baffle in for the Akra-Ti.

2wheeldynoworks

While the peak numbers may come in just a hair higher with the baffle out, we actually recommend that the Akra Ti and Yoshi R77 both be run with the baffle IN. The midrange/part throttle gains from having the baffle in far outweigh the extremely small gains from running with the baffle out. As we've all found out, these bikes get quite loud with the baffles out of many of the pipes. For whether or not we recommend baffle in vs. out for other specific pipes, feel free to email us at 2wheeldynoworks@gmail.com. We also ALWAYS recommend that the snorkel be removed from the stock airbox, regardless of which exhaust system (even stock) you have on the bike.

Our personal preference for sound vs. performance is still the Yoshimura R77, baffle in! 72whp at the peak, smooth delivery and as quiet as you can get without hampering performance. We offer this as a package on our site. Here's the link:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, 2wheeldynoworks said:

While the peak numbers may come in just a hair higher with the baffle out

This is from your post:

"Akrapovic Ti

Baffle out 74.03hp 54.07ft lb

Baffle in 72.75hp 51.75ft lb"

That's a heck of a lot more than a "hair". So much so that you you created that thread where you said, "the results are awesome!" 

I'm just curious, was that a one-shot run with high numbers that you were never able to duplicate or what. The only reason I bring that up is due to the phrase "just a hair higher" which would indicate something more like 0.2 more hp or torque, not what you stated in the original post. You guys know motorheads are typically anal about the numbers, so it would be great to have a little clarifiation on that.

Here's the original thread:

• Like 1

2wheeldynoworks
35 minutes ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

This is from your post:

"Akrapovic Ti

Baffle out 74.03hp 54.07ft lb

Baffle in 72.75hp 51.75ft lb"

That's a heck of a lot more than a "hair". So much so that you you created that thread where you said, "the results are awesome!" 

I'm just curious, was that a one-shot run with high numbers that you were never able to duplicate or what. The only reason I bring that up is due to the phrase "just a hair higher" which would indicate something more like 0.2 more hp or torque, not what you stated in the original post. You guys know motorheads are typically anal about the numbers, so it would be great to have a little clarifiation on that.

Here's the original thread:

Correct, the results are awesome, seeing that these bikes make around 63-64whp bone stock!

The roughly 1.25hp and 2.25tq baffle out gains at the PEAK are significantly less impressive, in our opinion, than the part throttle/midrange increases we see with the baffle in on these pipes. If you ride your bike at the upper end of the RPM range at all times, then yes baffle out would be a better solution, but most riders simply aren't bouncing these bikes off the limiter at all times. The more "useable" power improvements of leaving the baffle in will be of better use to "most" riders. 

Those original posts and numbers are also now over 4 years old, which is why the links to the original graphs have all expired. Showing accurate part throttle comparisons/improvements on a dyno graph is extremely difficult, which is why we have never tried to illustrate that information in that form. If we ever have time, we'll post those graphs and do our best to describe what you're looking at in each one, but now that the pre-season madness has started, it isn't likely we'll have time to do that in short order. 

For any specific questions regarding exhaust systems, power numbers, and/or our personal recommendations, please email us at 2wheeldynoworks@gmail.com. We're always happy to help in any way we can!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Personally I would prefer stronger mid-range from say 3500-6500 rpm than lower in that range and more horsepower and peak torque.  But then that is just my preference and my riding style.  

I like seeing dyno comparisons for that purpose.  Losing torque where I use the bike the most  for gaining even 10 hp at the top just isn't worth it for me.   One of the reasons I went with the 700 was that flat high torque curve right where I ride.  I have friends who would gladly give that bit down low for the high horsepower up high...   I can't and won't try to keep up with them and riders like them, I like my money in my wallet and no points on my license.  But again - that's just me.

• 2 weeks later...

So I pulled the trigger and clicked the button, the stainless steel 18" oval muffler Delkevic exhaust is on the way.  I also ordered a second muffler mount strap to have a two point support on the muffler, and the quieter baffle just because.   I'm looking for sound I like, not to bother everyone within a quarter mile.   I figure everything is free shipping and if I find the basic set up with or without the baffle works to my standards I can always send the quieter baffle back for the shipping cost of a couple bucks.    Or keep it for some longer haul trip where I may want to be as stealthy as possible short of the OEM "putter" box.

Will post some stuff after doing the fitting.  I have to come up with some kind of V bracket to attach to one frame hole for the passenger peg bracket and the two muffler mount straps.   Make it first out of flat stock then get one made of tubing.  I don't weld so I have to get something mocked up for a pattern to have it done.  May try making a model from 1/4" abs to have exactly what I want made up.   The ABS can be easily cut, filed and glued up to actually make a mount.  Then have a shop fabricate it.  It would be cool if I could stay with the ABS tubing, but I have serious doubts that it wouldn't break due to vibration and such.

• Like 1