The MT-07 Forum

Hi beams

Tony9020

I've adjusted my low beams and they are perfect or at least for me. My high beams though I can barely see the ground when using them. Maybe my low beams are to high? Nobody ever flashes me. This is my second set of leds and they both had this problem. 

• Like 1

The low beams and high beams cannot be adjusted separately because it adjusts the entire housing.  So when adjusting low beams it will also affect the high beams. 

Also, since your using leds, the location of the diode or light source within the reflector can make this worse. 

BTW my low beams are adjusted to my preference and the highs make it slightly brighter but are too high as well. This is with the stock halogen. Most of my riding is done on low beams anyway so i'd rather have those adjusted properly than the highs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tony9020 said:

I've adjusted my low beams and they are perfect or at least for me. My high beams though I can barely see the ground when using them. Maybe my low beams are to high? Nobody ever flashes me. This is my second set of leds and they both had this problem. 

I noticed that difference between the high and low beam years ago when I put a new Cyclops bulb in mine and what I did to combat the problem was ignore the low beam and aim the high beam to where it points straight and level (I forget the aiming formula, like 36" at the center of the beam???) and doesn't strike anyone directly in the eyes. I've found that no one flashes me and the low beam isn't really needed. Others may not like doing that but I'm OK with it, maybe you will be, too.

Beemer

As far as I know , the high beam must be high enough to blind someone in front of you , but the low shouldn’t . So just stay in this range 😂 jokes apart I believe you need to lower them a little .

I often ride at night , the original lamp is not great , I strongly suggest led bulbs to anyone And will not change the light pattern ( at least mine Or any other good ones )

• Premium Member

Not all LED bulbs shine their high and low diode(s) into the reflector housing in the same orientation.  The FZ-07 reflector housing was designed to be used with a standard incandescent halogen bulb. These factors help lead to the issue you're experiencing. A different model of LED bulb may give you completely different results, which could be better or worse.  You'll probably get best results with an LED bulb that best mimics the halogen light's points of light source.

Personally I'm using a Cyclops 7k LED and I have no complaints with it yet. But I don't do a lot of nighttime full dark riding. I live in a metro area with lots of street lights as well as other lights. The Cyclops is, no pun intended, night and day difference better than the standard halogen bulb from the factory though. I did have to adjust the housing higher when I installed it.

With what you're describing, I would determine if you do mostly High or low beam driving and adjust for the best light throw in whichever mode you use primarily.  Good luck in solving your issue. 👍

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

18 hours ago, Tony9020 said:

My high beams though I can barely see the ground when using them.

10 hours ago, DewMan said:

Personally I'm using a Cyclops 7k LED and I have no complaints with it yet

One good thing about Cyclops is that you can (for +10$) upgrade to the "ultra" model, which fires up both low and high beam bulbs at the same time when you switch on the high beams (which is way better night vision imho), as opposed to stock (and lot of other aftermarkets bulbs), where low beams are never on when you switch to high beams (noticed that detail when my stock high beam burnt out).

So, I installed Cyclop's ultra model last summer, and like Dewman said, absolutely no complaints with it yet, and you (also get to) actually see the road on high beams, not just lighting up leaves and birds' nests in trees! 😂

Problem solved 👍

Edited by EZrider