The MT-07 Forum

MT-07 Dashboard

Gary10

I have had my bike outside for a month or so. It hasn’t been ridden or started in this time. I had a flat battery as the dash would come on but would inject fuel, and ‘fully tick over’ to start the bike. 

I have had the battery on charge so the last few days and put it back in the bike. The bike starts, but now the dash turns on but nothing appears. ABS and engine lights come on as normal but the actual gauges on the LCD screen (MPH, fuel, clock etc) don’t come on as usual.   

this is my first bike I’ve owned and have now learnt in the colder months it needs to be put away from the elements

Can someone please help me with this issue. The bike does start, gearing etc works. Just the LCD issue :(

43A3428E-C969-45C9-9736-4CE7BA4B2108.jpeg.e924c9184aee3f7460e59dbdf2f06362.jpegthe image I attached is from another forum on this site. But I have the exact same issue.

image from ; 

HELP!! I think my instrument cluster is damaged!!

By Seye,  June 12, 2018 in Yamaha FZ-07 Problems and Answers 

• Premium Member

How cold is it outside? The LCD displays freeze up when it’s too cold. Did you leave it on for a while to let it warm up and see if the display looked normal? I work with outdoor controls a lot, I had a very similar situation with the LCD display on an outdoor VFD this week.  After being on and warming up for about 15 minutes it returned to normal.

Bad new is , if something fell on it or hit it hard, it could just be damaged.

Ed 

• Like 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member

Leave your phone in a car overnight in sub-freezing temps outside, you'd be sure the thing is dead for good. It's not, as @Evill_Ed said it just needs time to get back to operating temp. The phone might not be a good comparison as it might be the lithium-ion battery. I just thought I'd chime in as its happened to me with my phone.

2 hours ago, Evill_Ed said:

How cold is it outside? The LCD displays freeze up when it’s too cold. Did you leave it on for a while to let it warm up and see if the display looked normal? I work with outdoor controls a lot, I had a very similar situation with the LCD display on an outdoor VFD this week.  After being on and warming up for about 15 minutes it returned to normal.

Whats a VDF? @Evill_Ed

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, fzar said:

Whats a VDF? @Evill_Ed

Variable Frequency Drive, used to control speeds of electric motors. Allow an electric motor to run from zero to 100 percent speeds. Typically used on fans and pumps.

they have LCD displays (keypad) on them for the user interface.

• Thanks 1

On 1/25/2020 at 10:12 PM, Evill_Ed said:

Bad new is , if something fell on it or hit it hard, it could just be damaged.

Ed 

Hi Ed,

thank you for your comment. 
with regards to ‘warming up’, what do you mean? Hot water bottle? Heated blanket? Wrap the dash in a towel? I don’t have sheltered storage access, hence the bike is still outside. 15th of Dec20 was when the bike was last started. 20th Jan20 battery was removed and set on charge. 

many thanks :)

G.

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, Gary10 said:

Hi Ed,

thank you for your comment. 
with regards to ‘warming up’, what do you mean? Hot water bottle? Heated blanket? Wrap the dash in a towel? I don’t have sheltered storage access, hence the bike is still outside. 15th of Dec20 was when the bike was last started. 20th Jan20 battery was removed and set on charge. 

many thanks :)

G.

I mean just powering the display up by running the bike. Let it run say 10-15 minutes and see if that has any affect. 

Ed

I have had the bike on for 15-20mins and nothing has happened. I’ve done a few cycles of on and off (3 time). 

are there any other remedies I can try?

Thanks guys :) image.thumb.jpg.8ca7c285215805d54099b32ff061dd7c.jpg

• Premium Member

Maybe remove the dash, and bring it inside (overnight). Let it warm up gradually, then reinstall it, and try it again-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Check connection at back of display maybe? 

LCDs do get kinda goofy when its cold, some worse than others, but unless its like -20F there then I doubt thats your problem.  Yamaha grizzly has an lcd screen and works great even at 5 below.

Worst case a new one is $200. Your current ODO might go away though as I believe mileage is stored in the display and not the ecu.  It'l be like a brand new bike 😁

• Premium Member

Was the dash damaged in an accident? From my perspective of the pictures it shows either "road rash" or frost across the screen making it looked damaged to me..

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

19 hours ago, cornerslider said:

Maybe remove the dash, and bring it inside (overnight). Let it warm up gradually, then reinstall it, and try it again-

Hi Cornerslider,

I’ll give this a go, and update on the result. 

I would probably put it in a bowl of rice and bring it inside to let it warm up. The rice will help get any water/condensation out if any got in while sitting out in the cold. Worth a shot at least 

12 hours ago, Orcundip said:

I have the same problem please let me now if you fix this. Some people says can be a battery problem. 

Good news, it’s working!!

The screen wasn’t damaged beyond repair. Both Evil_Ed and cornerslider were right, the issue was temperature.

Having left the bike outside, the screen had been subject to the typical English cold nights and frosty mornings. The screens are tested to the limits, however they do have their own limits. There was no condensation, no water damage, no dead pixels. Never been in an accident, etc.

The remedy to fix this issue (for my case that is);

I firstly removed the dash from the bike, unscrew & unclip the dash from behind.

I brought the unit indoors, firstly bringing it to room temp. I also had the central heating on so that sped the process up.

leave at room temp for a few hours. You want a gradual increase in room temp so condensation doesn’t build up when bring the unit indoors. If you notice condensation, wipe the houses unit and take steps to have a steady increase in room temp.

I unscrewed the back housing, removing the LCD screen and motherboard from the plastic housing. Don’t touch the LCD screen with your fingers, hold the unit from the edges.

Again leave at room temp for a 5mins.

Then on a low pressure, hot temp, I used a hairdryer on the screen and motherboard. 

(20-30cm away from the unit) warming up the screen bringing pixels back to life. 
warming up the motherboard, to a warm temp (I think a gentle heat and electronic is good, when not working) but what would I know ;). 
If you can’t tell I’m really happy the dash is back to life, and I can ride again :))))

Warm with this method for 10-15mins, flipping from LCD to motherboard etc. Don’t forget the sides of the unit. Do a full 360degrees warm up.

I then put the rear housing back on, leaving the front off, to still stay warm to room temp. 
Keep clear from dust and other fibres landing on the screen.
After an hour or 2. I put the front housing on, screwed the unit back up. I left it for a full day to warm to room temp, then in the evening, I plugged the dash back into the bike, and we have lift off :))

please don’t buy a new dash if this doesn’t work on the first attempt, I’ve been doing my research for this and LCD screen are very touchy with change, so don’t give up on the first attempt. Retry and if not, contact an Digital Dashboard repair company. 

Thanks for your helpful comments.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I'm glad I could help, and happy it worked!!! It sounds like you took it to a whole new level.... Just out of curiosity, did you get a bunch of rain before it got cold? I live in Minnesota, and I've had my bike stored in my unheated garage for the last three winters. I've never had a problem like yours?? The outside temps get to -10 degrees (Fahrenheit) pretty regularly in this climate-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member

@Gary10 Glad to hear that you got it working again, good job 👍🏻

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, cornerslider said:

I'm glad I could help, and happy it worked!!! It sounds like you took it to a whole new level.... Just out of curiosity, did you get a bunch of rain before it got cold? I live in Minnesota, and I've had my bike stored in my unheated garage for the last three winters. I've never had a problem like yours?? The outside temps get to -10 degrees (Fahrenheit) pretty regularly in this climate-

Yes, we did have some rain, like the typical English weather, but it was followed by cold nights and mornings , from -3 to 0 degrees. Which must have frozen parts of the bike cover, and I think it formed a blanket of frost coating/wrapped the bike in the cold freezing temp, effecting the vulnerable electronics.

Good it's working. When I bring my satnav in from a cold car, I wrap it in a layer of cloth to slow the warming. 

And would you wrap the unit when it is on the bike say with a towel for protection?

• Like 1

Just do it! 

20 minutes ago, robbo10 said:

Good it's working. When I bring my satnav in from a cold car, I wrap it in a layer of cloth to slow the warming. 

And would you wrap the unit when it is on the bike say with a towel for protection?

Great minds think alike, the bike has a heated bluetooth blanket/cloth on the dash.

this will always be wrapped up when outside.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gary10 said:

" a heated bluetooth blanket/cloth..."

Well, I shall have to learn about that.

Just do it! 

1 hour ago, robbo10 said:

Well, I shall have to learn about that.

Well is not retail products, I’m using an old pillow cover with a towel inside and 2 Bluetooth hand warmers

this allows me to do a remote turn on for ‘x’ amount of time to keep warm etc. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, geophb said:

I'm actually surprised the temp was the problem. What temp was it outside?

Well at night -3 to 0 degrees and during the day highs of 6 to 8 degrees. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Gary10 said:

Well is not retail products, I’m using an old pillow cover with a towel inside and 2 Bluetooth hand warmers

this allows me to do a remote turn on for ‘x’ amount of time to keep warm etc. 

Just for clarification, what are bluetooth hand warmers? Or are you meaning 12v powered/USB powered hand warmers?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I see that you can buy an elecrric blanket for your bed with remote control (by phone etc.) by bluetooth.  It is via a smart plug.  I'd like to know more about exactly what Gary10 has. 

Just do it!