The MT-07 Forum

Not starting after winter break

Fordy

Not starting after winter been on trickle charge all winter battery seems strong just a noise when trying to start it I've disconnect battery to reboot still the same it started a couple of weeks ago. Thank you  in advance 

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, Fordy said:

Not starting after winter been on trickle charge all winter battery seems strong just a noise when trying to start it I've disconnect battery to reboot still the same it started a couple of weeks ago. Thank you  in advance 

How old it he battery? It may need to be replaced... Maybe check/clean the battery terminals.

• Like 2

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Check the battery voltage before going any further. "seems strong" means nothing. 

Is it turning over? or is the starter relay just buzzing?

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Battery can show good voltage but may be lacking in terms of AMPs...

• Like 2

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Global Moderator

ive generally found flooded lead/acid batteries to read higher voltages when nearly dead but they haven't yet dropped a cell
ive seen em read 15-16v before an hour or two later they read roughly 7-8

would recommend getting the battery either tested (any auto store/shop)
or just get a replacement as "cheap" insurance (there isnt such a thing as a cheap battery )

• Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Have my 07 three years now. Always problem with the start after 3 month winterholyday for the bike. So far the battery was good enough to keep on starting for at least one minute.

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

you can, but theres a high possibility of shorting with the larger cables

• Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member

It wouldn't be the 1st time a lead acid battery, left on a quality maintenance charger for a length of time, went bad. 

Yes, I speak from first hand experience. 🙁

Definitely have your battery tested.

Good luck resolving your issue. 

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

Does anyone have a replacement recommendation? I have'15  oem battery with 26,700 miles on a schumacher float charger that reads (charging at 95%) when I plug it into to pig tail for the last 2.5 years. It'll read 100% fully charged, plug it out and back in and its 95% again. 

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, fzar said:

Does anyone have a replacement recommendation? I have'15  oem battery with 26,700 miles on a schumacher float charger that reads (charging at 95%) when I plug it into to pig tail for the last 2.5 years. It'll read 100% fully charged, plug it out and back in and its 95% again. 

You're doing good to have a battery with that many years and miles on to even be showing 95%. 

Yuasa has alway been my go to for MC lead acid batteries.

But I did swap out my OEM Yuasa for a LiFePO battery, but they're pricey. There are a couple threads that discuss the pros and cons of the Lithium Iron batteries.

• Thanks 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

It appears all the bases have been covered so the only thing left to say is you'd better hurry and get a ride in before that snow comes back! 🥴

• Like 1

Beemer