The MT-07 Forum

Supertwin mt07 based race bike build.

Spotstu

• Global Moderator
9 hours ago, mossrider said:

Dangerous and frightening place, the mind. Expensive and fun too. 

I like your work, these are fun starter projects. Our club race class rules flux periodically to accommodate bikes like our Yamaha, Kramer's, the Aprilia, ugly Ducs etc. Keeps things progressing and the grids full for better racing, healthier aftermarket, fresh race bikes, more projects for tinkerers. We were in the middle of building an R6/07 too but the popularity of this bike is forcing it back on track as an 07r.

Carry on tinker.

we need to see the r7 on the track now though

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, wollerms said:

My guess is he's in the United Kingdom, his creeper is from Halfords which is a UK retailer and the wall outlet looks like a UK plug. I was stationed there for 7 years.  

Oyo Mate

I know I saw them too, but I asked because theres halfords and the same plugs in Ireland, 2 different countries BTW. I thought France as the British/Irish scene were strict on 650 cc in previous times.

16 hours ago, Spotstu said:

There's also mumbling that in 2021 the 700 rules will be adopted more widely, including at the Isle of Man. When you consider that the Mt/fz is the best selling middleweight twin in the world and that aprillia are releasing a 660cc sports twin this year then the rules have to change or the class will die.

As mentioned here. I hope they do change the rules that will accommodate the FZ/MT as Kawasaki are being so dominant, KMR racing etc. and the Italian tuners Patton kicking everyone else's arse on their chassis with a tuned Kwaker 650 motor that pulls like a team of thoroughbred horses on the straights. 

I might of gotten wind that a Aprillia 660 will be at MotoAmerica this season. Just a whisper I caught!

• Like 1

Man this is fantastic!!! Keep up the good work man its this kind of stuff that makes me pitch a tent LOL. Looking forward to the updates🤙

On 1/29/2020 at 11:09 AM, FrodoFZ said:

Man this is fantastic!!! Keep up the good work man its this kind of stuff that makes me pitch a tent LOL. Looking forward to the updates🤙

Cheers for the comments. I'm away for a few days now but I'll be back on it in a week or so with some new suspension parts so I can get it off the ramp and rolling.

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an error on the design front! I had a rocker link made for the rear suspension, just see it in the picture. Unfortunately, it just fouls the swingarm bearing housing and so I'll have to modify it. In the meantime I've got the front end bolted up and finally freed the bike from the jig. I'll have to make up a dummy link so that I can get it rolling as it's going off the have a tank made. I've been working on the rearsets, the gear shift will pivot on the lower engine bolt. Pics tomorrow.

IMG_20200213_144312.jpg

• Like 1

Bit of an error on the design front! I had a rocker link made for the rear suspension, just see it in the picture. Unfortunately, it just fouls the swingarm bearing housing and so I'll have to modify it. In the meantime I've got the front end bolted up and finally freed the bike from the jig. I'll have to make up a dummy link so that I can get it rolling as it's going off the have a tank made. I've been working on the rearsets, the gear shift will pivot on the lower engine bolt. Pics tomorrow.

IMG_20200213_144244.jpg

• Like 1

I have managed to get the bottom half of the motor built. Using wiseco pistons. I've had to notch out the valve recess because the valves I'm using are aroun 2mm oversized. If you look at the picture carefully you can see what a crappy job I did but they volume out ok and I've got plenty of clearance so I'm fairly optimistic......

IMG_20200117_105842.jpg

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Spotstu said:

IMG_20200213_144244.jpg

Front end looking good

I like what I see. Couple questions tho;

What do you think you're gonna be at for wheel base?

Final weight, 260-270#?

It looks like your headstock is closer to the motor head than a stock bike, room for a radiator or plan to fit one? Split like RC-51? 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, mossrider said:

Split like RC-51? 

That would be interesting to see, IMO.

Final weight, 260-270#? 

Are there restrictions to the weight allowed?

• Premium Member

Motor alone is a good 115#... 

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

6 hours ago, mossrider said:

I like what I see. Couple questions tho;

What do you think you're gonna be at for wheel base?

Final weight, 260-270#?

It looks like your headstock is closer to the motor head than a stock bike, room for a radiator or plan to fit one? Split like RC-51? 

Hi. Minimum wheelbase is 1360 but it will be around 1375 in practice. There's plenty of room for the rad, it's just a conventional one that sits just above the headers. I've got a curved one from an old brutale which I swapped the inlet/outlet around to suit so I'm going to try that one but I've used the cheap Chinese ones on other builds with no problems.

Final weight...... depends on how much money I've got left. I was going to get some Titanium engine bolts and other bits made but I can't run to that right now. I reckon it should be in the 140kg range, maybe a bit less if I can get a titanium exhaust made.

We have wheels! I'm well pleased with this. The wheels are only loosely bolted on so that I can move the bike around but I love the stance and proportions. Hopefully things will move on fairly quickly now. The race engine build is pretty much there, just waiting on the cams. Slipper clutch has arrived and some fresh gaskets. 

IMG_20200217_123324.jpg

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Spotstu said:

We have wheels! I'm well pleased with this. The wheels are only loosely bolted on so that I can move the bike around but I love the stance and proportions. Hopefully things will move on fairly quickly now. The race engine build is pretty much there, just waiting on the cams. Slipper clutch has arrived and some fresh gaskets. 

IMG_20200217_123324.jpg

What cams are going to use? 

7 hours ago, AP996 said:

What cams are going to use? 

I've had the standard ones re ground with a bit more lift and duration. Nothing too radical.

16 hours ago, Spotstu said:

I've had the standard ones re ground with a bit more lift and duration. Nothing too radical.

Do you mind if I ask where your getting the cams reground ? Kent cams ?

I've been fiddling around with bodywork today, nothing serious, just trying to get the lines right. Tank is a MV brutale which works fine with the throttle bodies and gives me plenty of room for the airbox. Tail is CBR but I'll probably make something up that suits it better. I've got a RCS and some M50 brembos ready to go on and next week I'm going to strip the loom and have a go at making a race loom. 

IMG_20200221_161202.jpg

• Like 8

So, I've started to make the airbox today. The underside of the tank will be the lid so I'm just forming a shape that gives the maximum volume but doesn't get in the way of anything. I've started with some steel mesh to get the general shape and then worked some heated thermo plastic inside it. Once it's roughly formed I'll re heat it and smooth out the lumps and joins and then make the rim to fit the tank. 

IMG_20200226_131233~3.jpg

• Like 2

Once I've got a decent shape I'll use it as a mould and make the box from fibreglass. It looks a mess inside at the moment but this material can be worked like clay when it's hot enough so I hope to be able to get a decent finish before I glass it.

IMG_20200226_134344.jpg

• Like 1

• Global Moderator
51 minutes ago, Spotstu said:

Once I've got a decent shape I'll use it as a mould and make the box from fibreglass. It looks a mess inside at the moment but this material can be worked like clay when it's hot enough so I hope to be able to get a decent finish before I glass it.

IMG_20200226_134344.jpg

lookin good dude... 
is that worbla or something similar that youre using to form the mould?

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.