The MT-07 Forum

Supertwin mt07 based race bike build.

Spotstu

Hi.

I don't know if anyone is interested in this but I'm building a Supertwin race bike around a mt07 engine. Most of the rest of it is custom build although I'm using an aprillia swingarm and the headtube and front portion of an MV agusta frame. The side plates are billet alloy with adjustable swingarm pivot and the yokes are custom made with adjustable offset fitted to ohlins forks. Rear suspension will be bitubo r6 shock with a custom rocker link.

The engine rules over here in Europe are much looser so I've modified the head to take 2mm oversized valves and I'm having the cams re-profiled. I've got wiseco pistons, modified for the larger valves. It'll have a modified generator and a slipper clutch. The throttle bodies have been bored to 41mm and they will be mounted on  silicone 45 degree  bends to allow a large airbox to be made under the tank cover.

The tank, airbox, subframe and airtubes will all be hand made and at the moment I don't know what bodywork it will use. The aim is to finish it in March ready for this season.

I'll post some pics of the progress so far.....

• Like 7

I know some on this side of the pond have stuck the Mt motor into R6 rollers to make a kind of super twin franken bike. Sam McDonald for one has good results with it. It just doesn't have a good home here as far as a class to race in where it fits affordably. 

Just now, mossrider said:

I know some on this side of the pond have stuck the Mt motor into R6 rollers to make a kind of super twin franken bike. Sam McDonald for one has good results with it. It just doesn't have a good home here as far as a class to race in where it fits affordably. 

It's been a battle to get the regs opened up here but it's going that way.

Set everything at the right height in relation to the sump/ground and then made some slides to help measure the centres and position the swingarm pivot in mid air..

IMG_20190820_144506.jpg

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Absolutely awesome!  Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

This is the head after cutting the valve seats and porting. I'm using shortened Kawasaki er6 valves, just because I had some kicking about.IMG_20200108_153208.thumb.jpg.d90e7e0b68baea80faa7f550f8e7fa9e.jpg

• Like 1

Since this pic was taken I've opened up the intake a bit more at the manifold because it was a fair bit smaller than the throttle bodies.

IMG_20200108_153225.jpg

• Like 2

This is how the throttle bodies will sit. It's a good inlet path to the valve heads and gives me a chance to make a decent size airbox with ram air.

IMG_20200109_114939.jpg

• Like 3

• Premium Member

Very cool looking build!!!!

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Dave Pearce send me a couple images of the rear mounts a couple weeks ago.  Neat build, I wish they would open frames up in MA to the twins the FZ motor is full of character.  A decent chassis will help a ton.

I didnt understand though why it looked like you could have adjustable swing mounts and the one side looked fixed.

Get your MT07 & FZ07 racing parts at https://www.robemengineering.com/fz-07-products

2 hours ago, Spatt said:

Dave Pearce send me a couple images of the rear mounts a couple weeks ago.  Neat build, I wish they would open frames up in MA to the twins the FZ motor is full of character.  A decent chassis will help a ton.

I didnt understand though why it looked like you could have adjustable swing mounts and the one side looked fixed.

It does look that way in the photo. I'd just pushed the spindle through but not seated the adjuster plate.

• Premium Member
On 1/23/2020 at 1:29 PM, Spotstu said:

It's been a battle to get the regs opened up here but it's going that way.

Where would here be? France? I curious as mostly outside the USA it's normally strict on 650cc. Cool build by the way, looks like your a person with a plan and creativity.

My guess is he's in the United Kingdom, his creeper is from Halfords which is a UK retailer and the wall outlet looks like a UK plug. I was stationed there for 7 years.  

Oyo Mate

7 hours ago, fzar said:

Where would here be? France? I curious as mostly outside the USA it's normally strict on 650cc. Cool build by the way, looks like your a person with a plan and creativity.

UK. He's right about the creeper and the plugs. 

We've got several national race clubs. Two of them have now adopted open rules allowin 700 water cooled or up to 820 air cooled 2 valve motors. Chassis rules are free, no restrictions apart from not allowing composite materials in structural areas. There is a championship in Europe called Belgian twin trophy which also allows the same bikes. There's also mumbling that in 2021 the 700 rules will be adopted more widely, including at the Isle of Man. When you consider that the Mt/fz is the best selling middleweight twin in the world and that aprillia are releasing a 660cc sports twin this year then the rules have to change or the class will die.

Thanks for the comments, I do have a plan, sort of, but it's all in my head and it keeps changing.......

• Like 2

Just now, Spotstu said:

it's all in my head 

Dangerous and frightening place, the mind. Expensive and fun too. 

I like your work, these are fun starter projects. Our club race class rules flux periodically to accommodate bikes like our Yamaha, Kramer's, the Aprilia, ugly Ducs etc. Keeps things progressing and the grids full for better racing, healthier aftermarket, fresh race bikes, more projects for tinkerers. We were in the middle of building an R6/07 too but the popularity of this bike is forcing it back on track as an 07r.

Carry on tinker.

• Like 1