The MT-07 Forum

Lane splitting

cornerslider

15 hours ago, kylerhsm said:

It's the difference between it taking me 20 minutes to get to work and barely having to stop, or 40 minutes sitting in the queue of cars sweating my ass off in 30 degrees (90F) in all my riding gear and arriving to work dripping in sweat. Here, filtering has to be between two traffic lanes and not up the side. No-one opens their doors in the middle of two traffic lanes on a main road. At least not where I'm from.

"No-one opens their doors in the middle of two traffic lanes on a main road. At least not where I'm from."

At least not until it happens, says Murphy's Law.

• Like 1

Beemer

14 hours ago, scat2me said:

It may be legal in some states but it doesn't diminish the risk. I wonder if a Biker gets hit while he or she is between 2 cars who would be at fault ?

That pretty much just comes down to a person taking their chances when they do it legally. Nothing is guaranteed, ever, that's just a fact of life.

• Like 2

Beemer

Come out to Los Angeles...Stay in your lane and do stop-and-go ever 15 seconds for 30 minutes.  Keep stopping your little motorcycle in between a vehicle in front of you and a vehicle behind you on the freeway and let us know how safe you felt if you're able to make it back to your PC and if your hands still work...

• Like 1

On 1/20/2020 at 5:08 AM, geophb said:

Your always in somebodys blind spot and people in rush hour traffic are not looking for a bike doin 75+ through 30 mph traffic. Obviously an extreme example but cars change lanes around here at random without blinker or nothin, just BAM.  

Another dumb question but why do motorcyclist feel that they should be able to lane split, everybody else in car can't lane split.

You're not ALWAYS in somebody's blind spot.  You typically see the motorcycle approaching well in advance of it reaching your blind spot.  Most don't do 75 through 30mph traffic.  Come on, now... Yes, some kids do ride way to fast and they get hit, but would you call that the fault of lane splitting?  Also, if your splitting two cars and a vehicle changed lanes wouldn't it hit the vehicle in the lane on the other side?  Are cars always changing lanes into each other?  No...Of course, sometimes they do, but that's outside the point of lane splitting.  Accidents can always happen.  Are there drivers that don't pay attention? Sure.  Would you rather be directly in front of this driver?

All vehicles are allowed to lane share in California.  Vehicles commonly do this at traffic signals when a vehicle in front is waiting to go straight and a vehicle behind comes around on his right to do a legal right turn at the red light and goes on his way.  This squeeze through and turn right isn't allowed in most states and you have to sit there with your blinker on until the vehicle in front of you advances and it's your turn to negotiate the intersection.  Vice-versa, if someone is attempting to turn right, but is blocked by something like a pedestrian crossing the street, the vehicle behind can squeeze around and go straight and on his way.  If a motorcycle is on the side of a lane, a vehicle can safely pass in that lane.  (rarely happens).  If two cars are small enough they could legally lane share, but I've never seen two cars this small. 

I do find that a lot of the anti-splitting feelings revolve around people disliking others getting something over on them...For example, "why do motorcyclist feel that they should be able to lane split, everybody else in car can't lane split."  I don't believe their attitude really comes from concern of my personal safety...

23 hours ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

Wow, that's a really good question. If any of you folks who live in the legal lane splitting states know what has happened in the courts on that one, it would be interesting to hear about it. You got a bunch of crap going on there regarding both medical and property damage, as well as proving who was at fault.

Case by case basis.

On 1/23/2020 at 6:54 AM, FZ07R WaNaB said:

It's funny how today we are such an entitled lot. We think we can do whatever we want whether it is legal or not.

I truly believe most motorcycle accidents are the motorcyclist's fault. 

On 1/24/2020 at 8:24 PM, HulkHogan said:

You're not ALWAYS in somebody's blind spot.  You typically see the motorcycle approaching well in advance of it reaching your blind spot.  Most don't do 75 through 30mph traffic.  Come on, now... Yes, some kids do ride way to fast and they get hit, but would you call that the fault of lane splitting?  Also, if your splitting two cars and a vehicle changed lanes wouldn't it hit the vehicle in the lane on the other side?  Are cars always changing lanes into each other?  No...Of course, sometimes they do, but that's outside the point of lane splitting.  Accidents can always happen.  Are there drivers that don't pay attention? Sure.  Would you rather be directly in front of this driver?

All vehicles are allowed to lane share in California.  Vehicles commonly do this at traffic signals when a vehicle in front is waiting to go straight and a vehicle behind comes around on his right to do a legal right turn at the red light and goes on his way.  This squeeze through and turn right isn't allowed in most states and you have to sit there with your blinker on until the vehicle in front of you advances and it's your turn to negotiate the intersection.  Vice-versa, if someone is attempting to turn right, but is blocked by something like a pedestrian crossing the street, the vehicle behind can squeeze around and go straight and on his way.  If a motorcycle is on the side of a lane, a vehicle can safely pass in that lane.  (rarely happens).  If two cars are small enough they could legally lane share, but I've never seen two cars this small. 

I do find that a lot of the anti-splitting feelings revolve around people disliking others getting something over on them...For example, "why do motorcyclist feel that they should be able to lane split, everybody else in car can't lane split."  I don't believe their attitude really comes from concern of my personal safety...

Case by case basis.

I truly believe most motorcycle accidents are the motorcyclist's fault. 

"I truly believe most motorcycle accidents are the motorcyclist's fault."

I agree with that and that remark made me think of some young guy on a super sport of some kind the other day. He came off the highway at a good clip and he seemed very friendly, he was actually going faster than I was and about to merge into my lane when he looked at me ... slowed down and waved me past but I just changed lanes instead. I thought to myself what a good biker he was. Then, a couple hundred feet later when I stopped a few cars back at a red light he shot my thoughts about him all to hell when he went past me in the lane to my right ... lane split all the cars ... looked to the right while still rolling to check traffic after the last car and pulled a wheelie/rode it through the red light and across the intersection. Top ten biggest morons I've ever seen but in his head I'm sure he thought he was quite the showman but I didn't see anyone clapping or hear any horns honking in approval. I sat there feeling like everyone was hating on me just because I was a biker, too. 

I would bet good money that if that particular rider has an accident it most definitely will be his fault. 

• Like 2

Beemer

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, Beemer said:

"I truly believe most motorcycle accidents are the motorcyclist's fault."

I agree with that and that remark made me think of some young guy on a super sport of some kind the other day. He came off the highway at a good clip and he seemed very friendly, he was actually going faster than I was and about to merge into my lane when he looked at me ... slowed down and waved me past but I just changed lanes instead. I thought to myself what a good biker he was. Then, a couple hundred feet later when I stopped a few cars back at a red light he shot my thoughts about him all to hell when he went past me in the lane to my right ... lane split all the cars ... looked to the right to while still rolling to check traffic after the last car and pulled a wheelie/rode it through the red light and across the intersection. top ten biggest morns I'd ever seen but in his head I'm sure he thought he was quite the showman but I didn't see anyone clapping or hear any horns honking in approval. I sat there feeling like everyone was hating on me just because I was a biker, too. 

I would bet good money that if that particular rider has an accident it most definitely will be his fault. 

I agree with you Beemer. About 10 years ago I sold my sport bike. I felt like I was getting glommed into the "sport bike crowd". We all know what Im talking about. The shorts, the tank top, ZERO gear, and bouncing their GSXR off the rev limiter at the stop light and riding a wheelie through the intersection...... It's just plain embarrassing to even be associated with that crowd. I sold my FZR1000 because of the stigma that I didn't want to be a part of. Thankfully, that's about the time that our beloved "naked" bikes came on the scene. We get pretty much the same performance, but comfort as well. I've found that traffic is more accepting of naked bikes. Maybe it's because we are generally more respectful of traffic, and don't ride like an aggressive a$$hole??? Just a thought 😐......

• Like 2

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

I’m noticing many of the negative opinions are from members living where filtering is illegal. With that in mind if you are forming an opinion about this maybe give more weight to the responses from those who live where it is legal and who do it regularly. There was a Hurt Report years ago that concluded lane splitting done well and safely was safer than staying in place. 

• Like 1

ABS =  Audible Blinker System. The horn beebs every time I use the blinker

1 hour ago, slideways said:

There was a Hurt Report years ago that concluded lane splitting done well and safely was safer than staying in place. 

The joy of the digital age - everything can be found on the internet. He's a clip from Wikipedia on Lane Splitting:

"Proponents of lane splitting state that the author of the Hurt Report of 1981, Harry Hurt, implied that lane splitting improves motorcycle safety by reducing rear end crashes.[19] However, in subsequent interviews, Hurt stated that there is no factual evidence to support this claim."

Truth be known, Wikipedia goes into detail on lane splitting, and arguably it would be good for every motorcylist to read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_splitting

21 hours ago, HulkHogan said:

Come out to Los Angeles...Stay in your lane and do stop-and-go ever 15 seconds for 30 minutes.  Keep stopping your little motorcycle in between a vehicle in front of you and a vehicle behind you on the freeway and let us know how safe you felt if you're able to make it back to your PC and if your hands still work...

I live in Florida where it's not legal and I've been stuck in stop and go traffic just like you described but on a 'one lane each way' road and my clutch hand was killing me afterwards so now every-time I'm in that same area I look way ahead and if traffic looks bad I immediately get turned around and avoid it. I wish lane splitting were legal here because I would most definitely use it but in a reserved manner, not at every light in town unless I actually had a good reason to be in a hurry. If people didn't like it then that's just tough titty, it's legal. 😜

Beemer

Wikipedia also has some info on road widths and their effects, which is also a good relevant read.

• Like 1

Just do it!