The MT-07 Forum

California Exhaust Laws

jnroberts

I'm new here so sorry if this topic has already been covered.  I live in North Dallas Texas but we have a condo in old town Orange, CA which is where I lived for 50 years.  We have the condo for weekends and I just bought a new 2019 MT 07 to ride while I am in California.

In researching after market exhaust pipes like say the Akrapovic system, it's looking like I can't do any kind of aftermarket modification due to the recently passed laws that restrict these exhaust systems. i guess the decibel limit is 95 or maybe lower for newer bikes.

Can anyone confirm this or if not, recommend a great sounding exhaust that meets the California requirements and guidelines.

Appreciate it, thank you.

I am in the bay area, bike registered  in CA or TX?

If in CA, go ahead with exhaust mod of your choice. I have 2015 with full Yoshi  with Hord air box, its loud but its never been a issue.  However if you live in a small community it maybe different.   If registered  in TX need to verify all is CA compliant and registered, then make your mods.

Also, yamaha performance exhaust made by yoshimura is fully CARB compliant and sounds great if you wanna play strictly above board.

27 minutes ago, elmo said:

I am in the bay area, bike registered  in CA or TX?

If in CA, go ahead with exhaust mod of your choice. I have 2015 with full Yoshi  with Hord air box, its loud but its never been a issue.  However if you live in a small community it maybe different.   If registered  in TX need to verify all is CA compliant and registered, then make your mods.

Thanks. It's registered in CA. I prefer to go the legal route.  If you had my luck in life, you'd understand. Thanks again.

27 minutes ago, elmo said:

11 minutes ago, Bigturbomax said:

Also, yamaha performance exhaust made by yoshimura is fully CARB compliant and sounds great if you wanna play strictly above board.

Oh wow, this is what I am looking for.  Do you have a link to the actual pipe? I'll look it up anyways, but thanks again!

It looks really nice in person, sounds great, is quite a bit lighter and totally 50 state legal. Even has a cat in it. 

20191013_170205.jpg

• Global Moderator
28 minutes ago, Bigturbomax said:

It looks really nice in person, sounds great, is quite a bit lighter and totally 50 state legal. Even has a cat in it. 

20191013_170205.jpg

It is not 50 state legal.  In Washington state it is illegal to replace your exhaust with one that is louder than the stock exhaust.  I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for that, but technically that exhaust world be illegal here. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Akra Ti with the baffle in and the catalytic converter insert is CA approved... 

• Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

1 hour ago, Bigturbomax said:

Heres what it sounds like out of the box on my bike.

Awesome....I"m getting one.  Thanks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjh937 said:

It is not 50 state legal.  In Washington state it is illegal to replace your exhaust with one that is louder than the stock exhaust.  I have never heard of anyone getting a ticket for that, but technically that exhaust world be illegal here. 

It isnt louder than stock. Still meets stock DB/rpm spec. Just lighter and TOTALLY different tone lol.

But none withstanding, good point. 

• Like 1

In truth,  every aftermarket exhaust system/ slip on is louder than stock. These bikes are whisper quiet in stock trim. In VA the inspection laws state that any non oem exhaust system won't pass inspection, but there's no law stating that a cop can ticket you for an "illegal" exhaust, so it's all a gray area. In reality, what it boils down to, if you are out ripping around and making a bunch of noise and get pulled over...chances are you're gonna get a ticket for loud exhaust/disturbing the peace or something to that effect. You really gotta catch a cop on a bad day for him to chase you down for a muffler ticket.

I've sat next to cops in traffic in 1,000 hp street racing rigs whose exhaust were absolutely pounding the ground at idle. You'd get that " I got my eyes on you look", which you return with a respectful nod and ease on down the road. Unless your inspection station is by-the-book-picky, or you actually need a CARB tag to prove it's legit, you don't have much to worry about outside of Commiefornia.