The MT-07 Forum

Tricksy Manufacturers

Beemer

This guy's channel annoys me because of YouTube's video recommendation algorithm but he says "rpm" instead of "rpms", thumbs up.  

That's because he is correct.  It is an acronym for revolutions per minute, the first letters of the three words.  The acronym is not plural.   Since the acronym uses the first letter rpm represents both a single revolution per minute and multiple revolutions per minute.  To reinforce the point more, we don't say mphs do we?  It is miles per hour just like revolutions per minute, but we don't tell someone I was doing 70 mphs.  Same deal.  Acronyms, an amazing source of wonder, ain't it?

So isn't that great?  Eliminates one more source of annoyance.  Well, other than me.

Edited by klx678
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, klx678 said:

That's because he is correct.  It is an acronym for revolutions per minute, the first letters of the three words.  The acronym is not plural.   Since the acronym uses the first letter rpm represents both a single revolution per minute and multiple revolutions per minute.  To reinforce the point more, we don't say mphs do we?  It is miles per hour just like revolutions per minute, but we don't tell someone I was doing 70 mphs.  Same deal.  Acronyms, an amazing source of wonder, ain't it?

So isn't that great?  Eliminates one more source of annoyance.  Well, other than me.

Love it. I cringe every time I hear "rpms".  Too add to this, Doesn't anybody look at their tach?? I mean it doesn't say "RPMs x1000" it says "RPMx1000"

Edited by geophb

Holy crap!   I'm right!   Thank you, thank you, thank you...   😁

By the way, for me, one of the things that sold me on the 700 WAS the dyno chart that I think Cycle World did.  Showed the big picture like that guy is talking about.  One big long plateau of torque across from 3000-10,000 rpm.  A freaking tractor - that revs!    I saw why so many like the FZ/MT/XSR/et al.   

Reminds me of my friend's V-Max.  We were at Mid Ohio Superbike races, his V-Max was so strong he figured get it on the dyno.   Guy runs it out - around 90 hp... friend is bummed out.  Then the guy turns to him and says, "Who built your motor?"   Friend says, "Why?  It only has 90 hp." in a rather dejected tone.  The guy says, "Look at the torque curve!"  Then my cheered up friend says, "It's a stock 42,000 mile motor with a Kerker competition header and a stage IV Dyno Jet kit with K&N pods."    Kind of put everything in perspective...  It's what you got over all, not just in one spot on the tachometer.

Edited by klx678

17 hours ago, klx678 said:

Another annoyance to me is people that say they drove their bike. You never hear anyone say they rode their car, right? I never have. Here's another, I like British people but why do they pronounce certain words the way they do. I hear this often, "Chiner." It's not spelled C H I N E R, it's spelled C H I N A so why is it pronounced that way? Just a British thing I suppose, maybe like how it's a red neck thing to say Murica instead of America. Rant complete! (for now) 😉

Beemer

Some say drive because the definition is someone operating a motor vehicle.  Bothered me a bit until I found it suited the definition.  Do you every call a motorcycle a bike?  Thnk it bothers the bicyclist of the world?   I doubt it.   

President Kennedy used to talk about "Cuber" and probably said "Chiner" too, part of the dialect of some in New England area and specifically Massachusetts.   All the Brits are pissed (oops that means drunk over there), angry we spell tyre, colour, and a variety of other English words incorrectly.   Some people in Pennsylvania say "keller" instead of color.   When I was a kid (oops baby goat), young adult, we used to use the term "boss" to describe something as fantastic, kind of like saying "cool".   And where in the hell did the term "car" come from?

There ya go, some shock therapy!    🤣 

By the way, when we were dragging a sled around behind an automobile, we would ride on it - on the trunk lid...   

Edited by klx678

20 hours ago, klx678 said:

Some say drive because the definition is someone operating a motor vehicle.  Bothered me a bit until I found it suited the definition.  Do you every call a motorcycle a bike?  Thnk it bothers the bicyclist of the world?   I doubt it.   

President Kennedy used to talk about "Cuber" and probably said "Chiner" too, part of the dialect of some in New England area and specifically Massachusetts.   All the Brits are pissed (oops that means drunk over there), angry we spell tyre, colour, and a variety of other English words incorrectly.   Some people in Pennsylvania say "keller" instead of color.   When I was a kid (oops baby goat), young adult, we used to use the term "boss" to describe something as fantastic, kind of like saying "cool".   And where in the hell did the term "car" come from?

There ya go, some shock therapy!    🤣 

By the way, when we were dragging a sled around behind an automobile, we would ride on it - on the trunk lid...   

Well, that makes two of us that are aware of everything you mentioned. I know the differences between proper English and what's referred to as slang and I understand how most of it came about and I'm OK with most I've heard but no matter the reason for saying Chiner instead of China, it's the one that bothers me because it just sounds dumb to me and I'm entitled to my peeves. 😂 

Beemer

Just messin' with ya and joking around a bit.  Clearly you can handle it and I appreciate it.   

What's really funny to me is when someone says they recognize my accent...  I always thought it was pretty much no accent, being in central east Ohio.  But I guess there are some subtle differences that are noticeable, I thought we sounded pretty much like the average general American accent.   Who'da thunk it!    

By the way a few words that bug me....  often pronounced with the t sounded, didn't with the d pronounced as a t,  and one is when someone says "irregardless" meaning regardless - a double negative, but it is listed as an adverb with the same meaning as regardless and listed as a combination of irrespective and regardless...   We could start a whole thread on words that strike us as odd.

Thank god! For a second there I was beginning to think you were going all anal retentive on me, lol! You're right, a thread or even a book could be written on this subject. 

Beemer

45 minutes ago, sorkyah said:

Get to it @Beemer

No thanks, the person that does that will come across as being anal retentive themselves.

Beemer

Some folks over in "LA" lower Alabama still say they rode on the car. I think it comes form the days of riding a horse and buggy. 

• Like 1