The MT-07 Forum

MPG help and questions

bmichalec

Hello,

Just got my bike back from the dealer(recall fix) and was speaking with the service manager about the MPG. I get average 35mpg and run supreme. I was wondering what others are getting and what riding styles? I am not over in the slow lane putting along. :) I average about 150 miles per day almost all highway and have 6500 miles so far. I need to gather some feedback from my fellow FZ riders so I can go back to him. I should be getting better than what I am. Lastly is anyone noticing black residue coming out of the end of the tailpipe? I wipe it off and it is back within a day or two?? Thank you all for your help! Happy riding

I do about 40 miles on the highway a day. As long as I keep it under 70 in 6th gear get about 50mpg. Forgot to add, I use 87 octane non-ethanol fuel.

Here's the thread related to MPG http://fz07.org/thread/172/kind-mpg-guys-get so get an idea what the average is.It all depends on your riding style,35 mpg sounds pretty low.My worst was 46.6 according to the on board readout but that could be off.I been keeping manual tabs on MPG every time I fill up noting on my smartphone.I use 87 no need to go any higher on our engines.Yesterday fill up was actually a big surprise I got 129 with 2.25 gallons which translates to 57.3 MPG ( 129 / 2.25 ) that's my best so far 1630 miles on odometer onboard was stating 51.6 way off.The residue you seeing it's just condensation in the exhaust normal .

I average about 45 MPG at 80+ mph.
I do 100 miles a day 90 mile on the freeway. My bike says I average 38 but it is wrong, 100 miles I use 2.2 gallons. I have tried 91 89 and 87, there was no real difference between 91 and 89. But 87 had slightly less MPG.

You do or don't
Then your dead.

To order a tail tidy click
One-off-fabrication.myshopify.com

• Premium Member

Don't know why I'm doing so well, but I average 55-60 mpg. 50-80mph, 98 miles round trip commute.

Everything went braap.

I commute about 120 per day. 87 octane as anything higher doesn't help IMO. According to the gauge I get about 52.7 mpg but I think it's more like 45 mpg. I go about 80mph on the fwy on the daily. ******However, the biggest tip I can give is to add more fuel when the gas pump automatically shuts off. I was having issues as well until I manually pulled the tip of the gas pump back and added about another dollar or 2 of gas.****** That made a huge difference. I make the trek daily and I never have issues with my gas gauge even flashing. Good luck

I ride like a mad man and still average about 55mpg. I would say 35 is pretty dang low. I use 89 octane gas. I would say start using either 89 or 87 octane gas and reset your MPG average and see what happens. Also have you replaced your air filter yet? At 6500 miles it's probably somewhat. One more thing look at how much ethanol your gas station is putting in the gas. More ethanol = less MPG.

35MPG just seems way too low. Does it feel okay when riding the bike? Like it doesn't bog down or lose power?

The wonderful state of California has shitty gas... I don't feel any performance issues at all runs strong and fast. I will try 89 when I fill up on my way home...

• Premium Member

I can only assume it's weight difference and riding style. Some of you guys get substantially less mpg. I'm not timid with the throttle by any means, but I guess not as mad as some of you fellows.

Everything went braap.

I am 250 pounds plus gear and daily bag, add another 10 pounds. Daily commute 125 miles. Highway, about 60 miles, in the 70 - 80 band. The rest of the way in the 50 - 65 band. My digital read out always says something around 44 mpg or so, but with daily fueling, I am always putting in between 2.3 - 2.5 gallons. Less traffic, more gallons :P So considering the weight, I would say the returns are good lol.

And oh yes, the black residue is annoying. Maybe I should try a different gas station for a change and see if it makes a difference.

I am 250 pounds plus gear and daily bag, add another 10 pounds. Daily commute 125 miles. Highway, about 60 miles, in the 70 - 80 band. The rest of the way in the 50 - 65 band. My digital read out always says something around 44 mpg or so, but with daily fueling, I am always putting in between 2.3 - 2.5 gallons. Less traffic, more gallons :P So considering the weight, I would say the returns are good lol. 
And oh yes, the black residue is annoying. Maybe I should try a different gas station for a change and see if it makes a difference.
260 on a 700 getting 35mpg at 80-90 seems low...maybe start upshifting more haha. With gear I'm around 215, 40miles per day 70-80mph I do about 48mpg.  

I know I may get some flack for this, but you may want to step down to plus. The manual calls for regular and says to use plus if the regular fuel detonates (aka preignition/pinging). The higher the octane the slower the fuel burns. This helps with high compression motors. High octane fuel doesnt help a motor that isnt engineered to use it. And whether it will decrease your mileage, I cannot say for certain, but you do have the potential to lose a small amount of power using high octane in a motor not designed for it. This happens because the slower burn time takes longer to build maximum cylinder pressure, which can happen after the crank angle that the motor needs to produce maximum power output(requiring more throttle twist.

All, techno babble aside. You may try it out. Putting super in a bike that the manual says to use regular is not a benefit. Also, not hating or poking you with a stick. Just sharing some info that is often misunderstood :)

I agree with bigity Our engine is not designed for higher octane(Compression Ratio 11.5:1),the use of it it's just a money waste.Then again to each their own.

I know I may get some flack for this, but you may want to step down to plus. The manual calls for regular and says to use plus if the regular fuel detonates (aka preignition/pinging). The higher the octane the slower the fuel burns. This helps with high compression motors. High octane fuel doesnt help a motor that isnt engineered to use it.
+1 for what he said. 

• Premium Member
crazycracka501

I get about 40 - 45 mpg and usually hit the freeway at about 80mph and asked my dealer the same question once I saw what others on this forum were getting. His first statement was "any bike that's in the 700 cc and less range usually looses fuel mileage pretty quickly for anything over 75 mph because of the small engine size. So try throttling it down to the 75 - 80 mph range for a few trips and see what she does. Also....and just throwing this out there because it is a possibility....How did you treat her during the break-in period (first 600 - 1000 miles)? If you bought the bike and just started throttling the hell out of it, you could have damaged components that needed time to seat properly and round off before really pounding the pavement. New bikes are like women, they need warmed up and worked a little before you can have your way with them. ;)

Make it stop!....Now make it go faster!

I get about 40 - 45 mpg and usually hit the freeway at about 80mph and asked my dealer the same question once I saw what others on this forum were getting. His first statement was "any bike that's in the 700 cc and less range usually looses fuel mileage pretty quickly for anything over 75 mph because of the small engine size. So try throttling it down to the 75 - 80 mph range for a few trips and see what she does. Also....and just throwing this out there because it is a possibility....How did you treat her during the break-in period (first 600 - 1000 miles)? If you bought the bike and just started throttling the hell out of it, you could have damaged components that needed time to seat properly and round off before really pounding the pavement. New bikes are like women, they need warmed up and worked a little before you can have your way with them. ;)
I broke her in properly.. As difficult as it was riding in the 4500 rpm range for the 2 weeks it took to get to 1000 miles...  

Have been riding my 07 for a month now, 1200miles so far, average mpg is 49, I use 87.
I suppose a good way to get higher mpg is always keep the rpm around 4~5k, that's where econ logo will appear on the gauge.

2600 miles in 2 months, I ride it like it's stolen pretty much at all times and put in the shitiest gas I can find it it pulls hard while getting me 45 MPG at the worst and 55 at the best. My R6 being dyne tuned at 110 at the rear wheel and being ridden hard and put away wet got 32 all the time, so yeah something may be up.

Follow me on Instagram. http://instagram.com/trebec

scordiaboy515

I weigh 220lbs, use 93 and non-ethanol 90 and i usually get 50-52mpg, and that's highway and spirited riding in the mountains.

• 2 months later...

I am 110 pounds, 5'6, use 91 octane gas in southern California, and my digital display says i get 35 mph... :(

I'm just a soul whose intentions are good

Archived