The MT-07 Forum

Windscreen Help Needed

bornagainbiker

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

Anybody on the forum have experience with this windscreen?  I am considering buying one for my bike, and was wondering if anybody here has tried this type of screen.  Any and all input that anyone can offer on this windscreen would be greatly appreciated.

s-l400.jpg

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Windshield Windscreen Pare-brise For Yamaha MT-07/FZ-07 2014-2017 at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many...

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

I have the name brand version of that screen made by Givi. @Lunchbox87km purchased the ebay version you're looking at there(friend of mine). I can give a good bit of insight on both...

First off, the ebay version is visibly made from a copied mold so aero wise they both work the same. It is has kinda flimsy brackets and the screen is like a light smoke at the top and black dithered at the bottom. It is made from a pretty brittle type of plastic. Lunchbox' had a 4 mph down on his bike in which nothing contacted the screen. It shattered into rather large sharp pieces. It had been installed for about a month at the time. Id worry about a small rock at speed causing a bad day with this version

The Givi version has been on my bike for 2 yrs and 14k miles. It is a dark smoke throughout and has reasonably thick powdercoated aluminum brackets. It has some give in the plastic so i suspect its a higher end mix. It has suffered some light scratching over all those miles but still looks pretty good.

In summation, if you can get you hands on the original Givi version i personally would recommend paying the higher price for safety and durability reasons. 

All that aside, the shape however is excellent. Im 5'9 and it takes all the turbulence off my chest up to about my armpits. More comfortable at Texas highway speeds (85ish mph lol) and noticably warmer in warmer in winter time. Leaves my helmet in clean air unless im crouching. At that time wind blast is louder but ive never had turbulence off of it. 

20191013_170205.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some side notes, im not hating on all ebay stuff, i have some excellent LED signals and mirror risers off ebay. I only want to be aware from someone whos had hands on it and seen it that this specific screen is kinda crummy on quality.

PS, i recently put on a touring screen since my new job has me doing 2 hours highway everyday. I MIGHT be putting my Givi in the classifieds soon pretty cheap. Havent deciced yet as i kinda like the idea of having a tall winter screen and a short summer screen. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like Bigturbomax said, the cheap screen are .. cheap 

I like the MRA more

To help with highway riding and sporadic touring I made an adjuster But is pretty good as it is 

• Thanks 1

I originally started with the Givi, but it wasn't giving me enough protection. I like a small screen but it was too small, but damn it looked good 😎

I switched to the Dart Manta club. It's not cheap, but it's well made and mounts very solidly. I've done over 500 miles in a day with it, and it works fine for me. The catch is that I'm 5'6", so YMMV

IMG_1301 (480x640).jpg

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

Thanks for all the great info fellas--I really appreciate it. 

The reason that I was looking at this screen is that I currently have a Puig touring screen (see picture below) and I have found it to be exactly the wrong height for me.  My present screen re-directs the wind to and area right around the bottom of my helmet and creates a lot of wind noise.  I'm thinking that I either need a shorter or higher screen to get the wind noise out of the annoying zone.  

BTW @Bigturbomax how are you liking your National Cycle sport touring screen?  From the info you provided, it looks like we are about the same height, so your feedback might be especially relevant in my search for the perfect windscreen.  Thanks again for all your great feedback.

puig-dark-screen.jpg.f88739548826b80208814b2c48bb8219.jpg

• Like 1

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

I have the Puig Touring screen. I was out yesterday for a ride and could barely handle the bike over 50. The open road  (in the everglades) wind was horrible. I'm 5'10 and 160. I'm seriously considering the madstad 20 inch screen. Its pricey but if I cant enjoy the ride what's the point?

• Like 1

If anyone is interested in a Madstad windscreen for a 2017 and earlier FZ, mine will be going up for sale this spring.  Save a considerable amount of money over buying brand new.  22" clear version.

Less than one full season on it, as new condition.  Wind protection is phenomenal with the Madstad, nothing else comes close.  The only reason I am selling it is because I have decided to go in another direction with my FZ.

It is currently on the bike and the bike is in storage, I plan on posting the Madstad for sale in the spring when the bike comes out.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

49 minutes ago, Liquidmetal said:

If anyone is interested in a Madstad windscreen for a 2017 and earlier FZ, mine will be going up for sale this spring.  Save a considerable amount of money over buying brand new.  22" clear version.

Less than one full season on it, as new condition.  Wind protection is phenomenal with the Madstad, nothing else comes close.  The only reason I am selling it is because I have decided to go in another direction with my FZ.

It is currently on the bike and the bike is in storage, I plan on posting the Madstad for sale in the spring when the bike comes out.

49 minutes ago, Liquidmetal said:

How much are you asking ?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2020 at 4:23 AM, bornagainbiker said:

Thanks for all the great info fellas--I really appreciate it. 

The reason that I was looking at this screen is that I currently have a Puig touring screen (see picture below) and I have found it to be exactly the wrong height for me.  My present screen re-directs the wind to and area right around the bottom of my helmet and creates a lot of wind noise.  I'm thinking that I either need a shorter or higher screen to get the wind noise out of the annoying zone.  

BTW @Bigturbomax how are you liking your National Cycle sport touring screen?  From the info you provided, it looks like we are about the same height, so your feedback might be especially relevant in my search for the perfect windscreen.  Thanks again for all your great feedback.

puig-dark-screen.jpg.f88739548826b80208814b2c48bb8219.jpg

Sorry i completely spaced on this thread. I really like the v stream sport tour screen. The wind hits around my neck. Similar wind noise to the givi. Its pretty rad in the winter. Dont have freezing air blasting my chest lol

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/5/2020 at 6:21 PM, FZ07R WaNaB said:

I originally started with the Givi, but it wasn't giving me enough protection. I like a small screen but it was too small, but damn it looked good 😎

I switched to the Dart Manta club. It's not cheap, but it's well made and mounts very solidly. I've done over 500 miles in a day with it, and it works fine for me. The catch is that I'm 5'6", so YMMV

IMG_1301 (480x640).jpg

How comfortable would you say this is cruising above 85 mph for a long period of time on the highway? 

FZ07R WaNaB
42 minutes ago, LamHa said:

How comfortable would you say this is cruising above 85 mph for a long period of time on the highway? 

Well, I have a couple ways to answer that one. First, my normal Interstate cruising speed is 75-80, so I can't give you a solid answer, but I will say that at 75-80 it's fine as I've done several 1-2 hour non-stop runs on my FZ with no problems. Having said that, I am 5'6" so you might not get the wind relief that I do.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

Well, I have a couple ways to answer that one. First, my normal Interstate cruising speed is 75-80, so I can't give you a solid answer, but I will say that at 75-80 it's fine as I've done several 1-2 hour non-stop runs on my FZ with no problems. Having said that, I am 5'6" so you might not get the wind relief that I do.

That's awesome. Probably will be my next wind shield. I'm right around your height too. 

• Like 1