The MT-07 Forum

Thinking about it

Devilman

10 hours ago, Devilman said:

shinyribs, how much wider are the Rebel handlebars compared to the MT-07? Is it that much narrower? 

I have just measured mine. MT (2014) bars are 29 1/2" - 1/2" narrower than the Rebel (2017). The bend is different: where the MT's first bend as from the centre is towards the rider, the Rebels's first bend is more upward (cruiser-like?). But the grips themselves are near horizontal in both cases (all as set on mine).  There must be some possibility of rotating the bars to some extent. The only significant difference really is that you sit much lower on, and therefore 'in', the Rebel. 

• Thanks 1

Just do it! 

I think you have enough info to make an informed decision now but I'll say this anyway, for what it's worth. "Just get one!" You won't regret it, I promise. About a windscreen, I used one (39 cm) on my bike for awhile but for the 2 to 3 hour rides that I normally take I found I could put up with the wind most of the time. I only really want or need one when going into a stiff, consistent breeze at around 80 mph. but when it gets like that I simply slow down a bit so I'm not gripping as hard. It's the gripping real hard that gets to me, not the wind. 

Beemer

• Global Moderator
On 1/5/2020 at 5:05 PM, 1tondriver said:

If I ever start ground pounding highway miles again I am going to get another FJR1300. That bike was so nice to cruise on the highway with. Those fairings and adjustable windshield were great! No wind issues and could do 600 miles comfortably. Probably should have never sold it. 

gonna say you're right... you shouldnt have sold it :P

• Confused 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

Having owned both and raced the Kawaka ( er6n naked version), I have to say it is pretty much a no contest. The 07 is one of the more fun bikes, and easiest touring bikes, I have owned in over 40 years of riding.  The kwaka feels heavy and lumpy in comparison. The stock kwaka suspension isn't as bad as the 07's, but both are easily upgradeable. The biggest problem with the 07 is the tiny tank. The tracer version has a better sized tank. If you live somewhere tiny that won't be a problem, otherwise it can be.

Fairings are much more comfortable especially in rain or sand/dusty conditions. Windshields work very well if you put the time into making them work for you boday/bike combination. I have done multi-thousand KM rides and wind protection makes it MUCH more pleasant.

Edited by gregjet
punctuation

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

21 hours ago, Devilman said:

shinyribs, how much wider are the Rebel handlebars compared to the MT-07? Is it that much narrower? 

Hey man, I don't have a Rebel for comparison, but robbo hooked you up with some solid numbers. 

The issue with the stock 07 bars wasn't anything to do with their height or width, but they had an odd angle at the tips that turned my wrists in a way I didn't like. Hard to explain. I tried rolling the bars to different position, but it didn't help. 

I think for smaller people ( that's just a size description, not an insult) , the stock bars are probably just fine. And a lot of smaller framed people bought these bikes, so I'd say Yamaha did ok with the ergos when they put the bike out.  But my shoulders are wide so they had me feeling like I was having to kink my elbows in to hold the grips. 

1 hour ago, shinyribs said:

I think for smaller people ( that's just a size description, not an insult) , the stock bars are probably just fine. And a lot of smaller framed people bought these bikes, so I'd say Yamaha did ok with the ergos when they put the bike out.  But my shoulders are wide so they had me feeling like I was having to kink my elbows in to hold the grips. 

I'm 5'9 and for me the standard ergos on the bike are perfect. I love the standard bars too and wouldn't ever think of changing them out. Plus, they are fantastic for lane splitting (if that's your thing) which is a lot of my riding, every day to/from the city for work. On the flip side, the bars on my XSR900 I felt were too flat/low/wide and in general the ergos on that bike wouldn't have suited a larger person much better.

1 hour ago, shinyribs said:

Hey man, I don't have a Rebel for comparison, but robbo hooked you up with some solid numbers. 

The issue with the stock 07 bars wasn't anything to do with their height or width, but they had an odd angle at the tips that turned my wrists in a way I didn't like. Hard to explain. I tried rolling the bars to different position, but it didn't help. 

The actual bend is important as you point out.  What suits one rider may not suit another.   A rider with wider or narrower shoulders will have their hands hit the grips at a different angle than me.  Fact is bone structure in the wrists can change the angle of comfort as well.  

I recommend riders actually just grab the bars and check them out for feel.  Doesn't have to be a ride, you know pretty quick if the angle suits you.   That's why there are a dozen or so MX bends, usually described by the rider's last name that developed the bar.  

I thank everyone for their opinions, very helpful. But I have no choice except the MT-07. My B-Days is this month and my wife surprised me with a 2019 MT-07. I came home from work, opened the garage and there she was. My wife really surprised me, she has been reading over my shoulder and watched the videos and I told her next summer I will get one. She beat me to the punch. Lol. Now since I have two bikes, she wants to learn on my Rebel 500. LOL. 

Rode the MT-07 for twenty miles today. Cold as hell with the wind but worth it and my hands didn't go numb. Hardly any vibrations in the bars compared to the Rebel. I'm extremely happy. So the rest of this winter I'll be buying odds and end for the bike. Tank grips are a must.

Edited by Devilman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Devilman said:

My B-Days is this month and my wife surprised me with a 2019 MT-07. I came home from work, opened the garage and there she was. My wife really surprised me, she has been reading over my shoulder and watched the videos and I told her next summer I will get one.

Whatever your decison will be regarding your FZ07 (keep it or not), keeeeeeep the wife!!! 😂👍

Edited by EZrider
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Devilman said:

I thank everyone for their opinions, very helpful. But I have no choice except the MT-07. My B-Days is this month and my wife surprised me with a 2019 MT-07. I came home from work, opened the garage and there she was. My wife really surprised me, she has been reading over my shoulder and watched the videos and I told her next summer I will get one. She beat me to the punch. Lol. Now since I have two bikes, she wants to learn on my Rebel 500. LOL. 

Rode the MT-07 for twenty miles today. Cold as hell with the wind but worth it and my hands didn't go numb. Hardly any vibrations in the bars compared to the Rebel. I'm extremely happy. So the rest of this winter I'll be buying odds and end for the bike. Tank grips are a must.

Let me know if you ever divorce your wife... I'll give her a call. 😁

She's a keeper.👍

• Haha 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

She knows how to sort you out! No more of that huuummming and haaarrring. 😊

And good luck to her with HER Rebel. You just gave it to her,.  You will both have a great time.  I wish my wife rode.  My son rides my Rebel but not often enough.

Edited by robbo10

Just do it! 

• Premium Member
cornerslider
15 hours ago, Devilman said:

My wife really surprised me, she has been reading over my shoulder and watched the videos and I told her next summer I will get one. She beat me to the punch

Lucky you!!! Welcome to the "cool kids" table.....😎

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

" Let me know if you ever divorce your wife... I'll give her a call."...WHAT HE SAID!!!!!

Small notes of advice ( for what it's worth).

If she can't already ride, get her external lessons. Teaching your partner to drive/ride is always fraught with peril because of the power play. Same applies to riding an mtb. I am being serious.

Also, do not assume, if she can't currently ride , that she will not eventually be able to ride better than you. In the road racing club I used to belong to, the term "ride like a girl" was NOT a put down. Two of our top RR's were women, and they were FAST!  One bloke bought his wife a race bike and ended up wrenching for her instead of racing, because she was SOOO much faster.LOL!

Go forth and modify my son...go forth and modify...

I wasn't quite that fortunate, but I have to say my wife had no problem with my buying the XSR 700 other than asking that I get rid of some of the bikes I have that I really want to sell off.   I got the bike before selling everything, mostly because it was a 2018 and saving a bit of money that won't be there when the 18s are gone.   I will sell off the couple bikes I need to move though.   She's not into riding, but knows it's an important part of mine.

I already had a bunch of bikes and was right into building customs when me and the wife met so I've always said, these are my bikes, this is my bike money, and if I sell my bikes then that's my money for other bikes. When I do a custom I donate most of it towards our house/reno fund but keep a few hundred for myself to pay the regos, get new tools, and cover any losses when I sell. It's a completely self sustaining hobby (that actually makes us a bit of money) so she can't complain.

Occasionally she'll throw out the old "You know if you sold one of your bikes we would have enough money to finish the bathroom" at which point I just say "That's not going to happen".

They can't do without their make-up to make them feel good, it's understood but men can't do without their bikes just the same. 

• Like 1

Beemer

9 minutes ago, Beemer said:

They can't do without their make-up to make them feel good, it's understood but men can't do without their bikes just the same. 

Agreed and you can throw in the $125 hair appointment as well. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Congrats on getting the bike as a surprise!  Wow is all I can say.  That's a darn great present I'd say!

Its been great to read this post - also being 'on the hunt for a machine'.  I am pretty much convinced that this is the bike for me too.  If I can set this up for next spring/summer, my budget allows for a second hand one.  A few days after joining this forum I saw the for sale section and that was great to give me some pricing ranges for private sales.  Also I think its safe to say that most of these FZ/MT 07's would be well taken care of and with the motor in great shape.

• Like 1