The MT-07 Forum

main switch removal

Wolfy07

I'm trying to separate my main switch from the top triple so that I can remove the wiring bracket that looks to be sandwiched between.  sounds easy enough... only instead of screw heads I'm seeing what looks like rivets?  Is that right?  Were these things pressed in to the triple?

• Global Moderator

@Wolfy07, are you talking about the key switch?  It looks like it is attached with three hex head screws.  I am not at home to check to see what mine looks like. 

3436AAED-7E8F-422C-B64F-C38C11BBB961.png

Just now, Wolfy07 said:

I'm trying to separate my main switch from the top triple so that I can remove the wiring bracket that looks to be sandwiched between.  sounds easy enough... only instead of screw heads I'm seeing what looks like rivets?  Is that right?  Were these things pressed in to the triple?

Those are tamper proof and will have to be drilled, chiseled or discumboberated outta there. I used an air chisel to lop the heads off and there's no going back. 

Those allen heads in the above diagram are for the top tripple fork mounts (pinch bolts) and the steering stem pinch bolt, not the iggy. The iggy is not available alone and must be purchased with imobilizer, seat lock and gas cap, haha. You can pop the whole top tripple off and flip it over if that helps accomplish whatever you're up to. 

• Like 1

They are threaded, but you'd have to replace them with something else. Here's another view of the holes when empty for reference.

IMG_20191231_182743.thumb.jpg.df150e0d963a4cc6b84b369ad393886d.jpg

I popped mine off to do a keyless race ignition and remove those fricken wire looms you mentioned. They don't sell those fasteners as a replacement I don't believe but you could certainly use a bolt.

On 12/31/2019 at 7:25 PM, mossrider said:

They are threaded, but you'd have to replace them with something else. Here's another view of the holes when empty for reference.

I popped mine off to do a keyless race ignition and remove those fricken wire looms you mentioned. They don't sell those fasteners as a replacement I don't believe but you could certainly use a bolt.

Its  called a shear bolt.  You can buy them commercially.  We use them in some designs when you dont want someone to easily tamper with something.

Shear bolts are used in many industries where robust permanent security fixings are required. Wide range available from stock for...

• Thanks 1

Get your MT07 & FZ07 racing parts at https://www.robemengineering.com/fz-07-products

• 3 years later...

2017 FZ07 Here.

Similar question over here.    Replacing the switch because it got destroyed in a theft attempt, ruining the keyhole, but leaving it in the locked position.

I just ordered the keyswitch, but havent started with disassembly yet.

Can the upper triple be removed with the keyway still locked, to get access to those shear-bolt stubs? 

• 1 month later...
bulletbrazen

Don't know if you're still looking for a solution but I'm in a similar position but can only tell you what NOT to try. The drill the bolt/ use screw extractor method doesn't work with regular consumer screw extractors, both broke and the extractor cannot be drilled out after, so it makes the situation worse than when you started. So now I'm considering just using a heavy wedge and cracking the bolt at the seam between ignition and triple. (Ironically, even if triple breaks and has to be replaced it's waay cheaper than having it towed and having a shop do the work on those bolts)