The MT-07 Forum

Longer tanks skins?

DewMan

• Premium Member

I'm currently using TechSpec tank skins but they do not cover forward enough on the tank for my knees to grip them. And with the relative width of the tank, my thighs aren't gripping the skins either.

tech_spec_snake_skin_tank_pads_yamaha_fz

A perfect blend of surface tack and grip pattern, Snake Skin provides unparalleled tank traction to boost rider confidence when braking and cornering.

Anyone know of any tank skins that will cover most, if not all of the cut out on the sides of the tank where your knees grip? 

I know I can get sheets but I was hoping for an easier peel & stick solution without having to deal with cutting out for all the curves and indents.

I like the looks of the snake skin pads but they're just not long enough.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

41 minutes ago, DewMan said:

I'm currently using TechSpec tank skins but they do not cover forward enough on the tank for my knees to grip them. And with the relative width of the tank, my thighs aren't gripping the skins either.

tech_spec_snake_skin_tank_pads_yamaha_fz

A perfect blend of surface tack and grip pattern, Snake Skin provides unparalleled tank traction to boost rider confidence when braking and cornering.

Anyone know of any tank skins that will cover most, if not all of the cut out on the sides of the tank where your knees grip? 

I know I can get sheets but I was hoping for an easier peel & stick solution without having to deal with cutting out for all the curves and indents.

I like the looks of the snake skin pads but they're just not long enough.

I have these Eazi Grip Pads and covers pretty well. I even have some (Clear) for sale in the buy sell trade area. 

ED145741-9788-445E-8E88-CE576C48E2D3.png

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, 1tondriver said:

I have these Eazi Grip Pads and covers pretty well. I even have some (Clear) for sale in the buy sell trade area. 

Thanks for the response but those aren't any longer than the ones I have unfortunately.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

9 minutes ago, DewMan said:

Thanks for the response but those aren't any longer than the ones I have unfortunately.

Yea you are probably have to get a sheet and go custom 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DewMan said:

I'm currently using TechSpec tank skins but they do not cover forward enough on the tank for my knees to grip them...

1 hour ago, DewMan said:

How damn long are your legs, man ?! 😂

main-qimg-32c367bb296080cd1f4b4f1d519976

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, shinyribs said:

How damn long are your legs, man ?! 😂

Longer than the tank skins at least. 😆 I mounted them as far forward as the pre-cut would allow as shown on the pictures that are on the Revzilla link

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

I also used full sheet of Tech Spec, 3-years with no issues. Warm up the curved areas with heat gun to help conform. Adding bevel around perimeter minimize  edge peel.  They are larger than needed but not worth messing with.

210090069_TechSpec.thumb.jpg.4c89ca37ebf11467fbd6f3563a40f330.jpg

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 12/27/2019 at 10:22 PM, elmo said:

I also used full sheet of Tech Spec, 3-years with no issues. Warm up the curved areas with heat gun to help conform. Adding bevel around perimeter minimize  edge peel.  They are larger than needed but not worth messing with.

210090069_TechSpec.thumb.jpg.4c89ca37ebf11467fbd6f3563a40f330.jpg

where would I get my hands on this sheet, I like this set-up. @elmo

1 minute ago, fzar said:

Apologies, I googled it.

3 minutes ago, fzar said:

Apologies, I googled it.

If going the custom cut option, lessons learned.

1. Make heavy paper templates for all locations  and tape in place 1st, before any cutting occurs. 

2. A bevel cut is nice but difficult, I added edge bevel with sanding disk before installing.

3. Verify the areas that needs to flex, and warm them up with the heat gun, or dryer during installation.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, elmo said:

If going the custom cut option, lessons learned.

Its a must, going on my calculations to where my knees and the inside of my thighs are way forward on the tank with the woodcraft riser plate 1' down- going to 1.5' down and rearsets by woodcraft.

1 hour ago, elmo said:

1. Make heavy paper templates for all locations  and tape in place 1st, before any cutting occurs. 

2. A bevel cut is nice but difficult, I added edge bevel with sanding disk before installing.

3. Verify the areas that needs to flex, and warm them up with the heat gun, or dryer during installation.

Thanks for you knowledge. Let the track-days resume.