The MT-07 Forum

Gear For The Track

1tondriver

The couple of track day sessions I have done in the past I rented and borrowed gear and it was acceptable and worked out. 
In 2020 I am hoping to do a few more days and have been kicking around the idea of buying some gear. It gets real pricey very fast so I am looking for any suggestions that won’t break the bank. Looking at leathers, boots and gauntlet gloves. I am not looking for the best out there, just good enough for a busted up old track hack. Suggestions appreciated 🙂

• Global Moderator

What sizes

I know there was some stuff up in the gear for sale subforum

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

4 minutes ago, sorkyah said:

What sizes

I know there was some stuff up in the gear for sale subforum

I am an xl usually in gloves. 11.5-12 in boots and 38 waist on the tall side. 

For the few track days I do a year, I use my street alpinestars jacket (bought new), zipped to a pair of their pants (bought used). I use a cheap pair of Gaerne track boots, and you can find good gloves for cheap if you look around. I usually like to try the gear on (especially gloves) rather than chance it with sizing online.

Good thing about this gear is I can wear each part on the street if needed. Bad tjing is one piece race suits are cool, and you don't care as much if you stack it on the track.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, 1tondriver said:

The couple of track day sessions I have done in the past I rented and borrowed gear and it was acceptable and worked out. 
In 2020 I am hoping to do a few more days and have been kicking around the idea of buying some gear. It gets real pricey very fast so I am looking for any suggestions that won’t break the bank. Looking at leathers, boots and gauntlet gloves. I am not looking for the best out there, just good enough for a busted up old track hack. Suggestions appreciated 🙂

For leathers, reach out to Todd at Heroic Racing. His suits are excellent quality and priced competitively. I also got my gloves and boots from him. You may be able to negotiate with him and save a few dollars buying multiple items.

• Thanks 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

For the price the RST gear is really nice.  Especially if you're unsure of the level of commitment you'll have at the track.  I wont say its of the level of Taichi but my wife has a suit from them and I dont have any concerns for it failing in a crash.

Especially if youre not picky on color, the RST stuff sells for used prices.

• Thanks 1

Get your MT07 & FZ07 racing parts at https://www.robemengineering.com/fz-07-products

If you're willing to deal with international shipping there are pretty killer deals.

RST 1 Piece Leather Suits from the UK's leading online bike store. Free UK delivery over £25 and easy returns on our range of over 100,000 products.

Check out some reviews.  Definitely not saying there arent other options but for someone just wanting to start out at the track I would spend the money on seat time. 

Might also look on the wera board.

logo.og.png

Anything that is not a bike part or a whole bike.

• Thanks 1

Get your MT07 & FZ07 racing parts at https://www.robemengineering.com/fz-07-products

• Premium Member

I bought a new "Joe Rocket" one pc suit a couple years ago for like $600. Joe Rocket isn't really known for their top-shelf race leathers. I read some reviews and thought I'd give them a shot. The thing that I like is they are built for an "American body", rather than a "European body". It fits very well for an off-the-rack suit. It's perorated, and breathes very well. I've never crashed in it, but I have no doubts it would protect me. I mean it's not like Alpinestar, or Dianese raise there own cattle the meet a certain leather spec? Leather is a natural product. Every manufacturer uses good leather. The pretty much HAVE to. Don't get too hung up on the name. My wife has a Comet one pc. suit. Comet will be my next suit. They are reasonably priced for a custom suit, and they crash very well. Unfortunately, my wife has crashed several time on hers. It's held up excellent! 

• Thanks 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Global Moderator

I have a 2 piece from astars, I no longer fit the pants, and the jacket is my daily street wear, i'm no longer able to afford track time so it sits collecting dust. 

I think with what I spent on the 2pc I could probably have gotten a 1pc but I wouldn't have had the same fit. Since I have fairly broad shoulders and a gut, but my legs are quite small in comparison. 

• Thanks 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I'm starting to see a lot of Sedici suits from Cycle Gear out at the track...I got my Dianese gloves on sale for about $150 which was about $100 off.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I think some tracks require one-piece suits.

I have a Joe Rocket and it seems fine, but I have not crashed yet.

• Thanks 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

Thanks for all the replies. I am definitely not looking to go high end, just good enough to help protect a 54 year old busted up body. I hate road rash and like my skin so much I am thinking 1 piece. I like the idea of the “out of shape American” fit for me, I am no Euro model by any means. 
I have just started researching and weighing the cost benefit. It would be nice to squeeze into a suit saturated with my own sweat. 

The co-worker I bought my track bike from had crashed it on the track in an Alpinestars 2-piece suit and when he did, the jacket busted apart from the pants attachment and slid up and he got some road-rash on his torso.

I've seen some tracks on youtube where people ride in 2-piece textile suits!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, HulkHogan said:

The co-worker I bought my track bike from had crashed it on the track in an Alpinestars 2-piece suit and when he did, the jacket busted apart from the pants attachment and slid up and he got some road-rash on his torso.

I've seen some tracks on youtube where people ride in 2-piece textile suits!

Yea, no bueno for me. I have had road rash once and it was awful. Definitely leaning towards a 1 piece. 
The link provided to RST had some very reasonably priced suits. Now getting the correct size could be challenging. 

• Premium Member

Sportbike Track Gear accepts returns.  I returned my first suit because it was too tight.  Then went a size up.

• Thanks 1

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

4 minutes ago, blackout said:

Sportbike Track Gear accepts returns.  I returned my first suit because it was too tight.  Then went a size up.

That’s good to know. Their facility is real close to my house and can just drop returns off directly. Thanks 👍

Looks like they have this one in stock there. Might go try it on tomorrow. 

912CC035-982A-4050-9EC8-2699A251A6EE.png

• Like 4

I got over to STG to try on the RTS suit and what we found is that my body type is not “normal”. I always new that, but it didn’t fit too well in a couple of sizes. I always have to get suits tailored or else they fit like crap. The ones I have rented in the past didn’t fit too well either but made do with it. 
They suggested getting one made to my body type and all I could think of was $$$$$$$. Lol

Kind of bummed about it but I am not ready to shell out 1k or more for a suit at this point. I guess I will just rent agin if need be. 

• Premium Member

Take a look at Comet suits. I think they do custom suits for like $650-

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, 1tondriver said:

I got over to STG to try on the RTS suit and what we found is that my body type is not “normal”. I always new that, but it didn’t fit too well in a couple of sizes. I always have to get suits tailored or else they fit like crap. The ones I have rented in the past didn’t fit too well either but made do with it. 
They suggested getting one made to my body type and all I could think of was $$$$$$$. Lol

Kind of bummed about it but I am not ready to shell out 1k or more for a suit at this point. I guess I will just rent agin if need be. 

I get my North American orangutan suits from AGV Sport. They have a 'track day' cut on certain models that fit atypical body types better. They do have Ricky Racer suits too. Maybe give em a try. I got mine (all 4) from STG on their yearly closeout deals, between $300-500. AGV is one of the few brands that make up to 54 US off the shelf and fit us special physiques. Note; all the pics I post (of me anyway) are in different AGV suits for perspective. Not a salesman, just husky. 🙄

• Thanks 1

Have you look at the courtech suits? There not much more expensive then rst stuff and they come in phonetic sizes which fit a wider range of people.

• 4 weeks later...

Any opinions on this gear for a part time track guy? The suit is a little short in the arms and legs but with boots and gauntlet gloves I think I can deal with it. I would have to get some pucks eventually and there is no back protector. I was going to take mine out of my jacket and see if it fits. STG recommends stand a lone back protector, idk??? TIA

23100BE0-9F02-43BD-9E68-2AACD958E80E.png

Just now, 1tondriver said:

Any opinions on this gear for a part time track guy? The suit is a little short in the arms and legs but with boots and gauntlet gloves I think I can deal with it. I would have to get some pucks eventually and there is no back protector. I was going to take mine out of my jacket and see if it fits. STG recommends stand a lone back protector, idk??? TIA

You'd be well equiped for any trackday with that gear. In fact, all the way to the fast group where some td organizers start requiring upgrading to stand alone back protectors. Most race clubs/organizations also require stand alone back protectors if you ever plan on taking it that far but that's an easy up fit when/if the time comes. I have a pair of those very boots, top shelf stuff. The suit and gloves are plenty good as well, I see lots of that stuff around the track. Do er up!

$.02

I would add that the peace of mind that comes from wearing decent gear is immeasurable. Hoonin around without worrying about anything but having fun, learning and hitting your marks is rolling sex. Walk away from a crash w/o a scratch and you'll never balk at buying good stuff. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
On 12/26/2019 at 2:55 PM, 1tondriver said:

That’s good to know. Their facility is real close to my house and can just drop returns off directly. Thanks 👍

Looks like they have this one in stock there. Might go try it on tomorrow. 

912CC035-982A-4050-9EC8-2699A251A6EE.png

There she blows, I was reading through and I was about to put a link up for RST at sportbike trackgear they also have very reasonable gloves and boots. Highly used in BSB and Road-Racing and as they are a british company Alex Lowes in WSBK wears them also. Remember the knee-sliders are not included. Theres also a level up they have more expensive but still reasonable:https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/rst-pro-series-cpx-c-ii-leather-race-suit/

Apologies I didn't read the thread in its entirety, you all ready have my suggestions covered.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I have A*  2 piece and back protector. The jacket I price matched its a GPR new it was half price as it is discontinued.

The leather pants is a missile air-flow bought at an ebay auction with tags still on it, bearly made the reserve price, surprised I won it. I think these are going cheap now too as they will (are) discontinued.

Gloves A*  SP-2  gauntlet also discontinued, $66 @Cruizin had thrown up a link for zilla about a year ago and i got a steal.

Back protector, A* bionic used- ebay (make me an offer)not you, its a function on ebay, its not an insert its a velcro gut strap with a snap button on top that matches the jacket. 

I'll add that I have unusual torso size- to waist and leg measurements ( lifetime of construction) that I could find sizes that would work for me. 

Here you might want to check this web-site out too, I got a absolute steal on a Shoei X-14 @ almost half price, its legit. Here:https://motorcyclecloseouts.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, 1tondriver said:

23100BE0-9F02-43BD-9E68-2AACD958E80E.png

You'd be set doing better than most with that set-up... I would highly suggest a stand-alone back protector. If not now, maybe get a suit with enough room in the torso to accommodate one eventually. I used to ride without a back protector. Once you get one (that fits properly), you won't want to get on a track without one-

• Thanks 1