The MT-07 Forum

Just pushed my bike across the street...

msb06c

NYC has alternate side parking which is extremely annoying. The streets get swept on 4 weekdays and if your vehicle is on the wrong side of the street there’s a good chance you’ll get a super expensive ticket. Last night I wasn’t able to squeeze onto the correct side so I had to keep an eye out for an opening this morning. 

to the point: I pushed my bike across the street to move it, and I heard a pretty substantial squeak. It’s 35f here so maybe it has Something to do with it. It’s not a dry chain because I lubed my chain 3 days and 40 miles ago... is this a symptom of dried out wheel bearings or something? Am I being silly? 

happy holidays 

Merry Christmas. 

Enjoy the holiday and quit worrying about things. Your bike is in all likelihood fine. Take it for a little ride, I bet the noise goes away. Some times when parked they pick up momentary squeeks or anomalous sounds, they are machines with many moving parts. I believe the scientific term is PFM. (Pure f@#king Magic) If after riding it the noise persists we can look more closely at the the brakes, wheels, suspension etc for the source of the noise.

Dave

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
58 minutes ago, msb06c said:

NYC has alternate side parking which is extremely annoying. The streets get swept on 4 weekdays and if your vehicle is on the wrong side of the street there’s a good chance you’ll get a super expensive ticket. Last night I wasn’t able to squeeze onto the correct side so I had to keep an eye out for an opening this morning. 

to the point: I pushed my bike across the street to move it, and I heard a pretty substantial squeak. It’s 35f here so maybe it has Something to do with it. It’s not a dry chain because I lubed my chain 3 days and 40 miles ago... is this a symptom of dried out wheel bearings or something? Am I being silly? 

happy holidays 

My first guess wold be moisture or light rust on the brake rotors, it was 50 degrees here yesterday, so you probably have some condensation. I would not be overly concerned. Things squeak in the cold.

Ed

• Thanks 1

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

Thanks gents. With the bike id rather be safe than sorry. Glad to know this isn’t any cause for alarm. Happy holidays! 

• Like 1

Just now, msb06c said:

Thanks gents. With the bike id rather be safe than sorry. Glad to know this isn’t any cause for alarm. Happy holidays! 

With these things the plastics are noisy when you're manipulating them around in the cold, especially if you're sitting on it and padding around. 

• Premium Member

My knees do more of a snap-crackle-pop kinda thing.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

3 hours ago, msb06c said:

happy holidays 

That's interesting because I had friends who used to live in the city and they would wait for open spots for hours.  LOL.  In your case it should be painless as bikes can fit into any spot at all times.

Highly likely it's the rubber dust seals around the axles/wheel spacers. My rear ones are squeaky year round. I replaced my stock steel ones with aluminum and they really squeaked. So I polished the aluminum and they shut up for a little bit. 

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, msb06c said:

happy holidays 

You can double park on 1 way streets you know!! Or park the bike 90 degrees to the sidewalk right between 2 cars.