Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jord

LED signals not working

Recommended Posts

Jord

I bought some cheap LED signals off amazon but can’t get them to work. They are the type that flow across the strip when they flash, they only work when I use the hazard button and even then only half the LED,s light up and stay on constant

Am I missing something here? 

I have searched the topic but most posts are about blown fuses etc but I don’t have that problem 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cornerslider

Maybe try plugging the old ones back in? It could be as simple as a blown fuse. If the OEM signals still work, I'd say you just got some bad LED's. I've gone that route in the past, and it's too frustrating to deal with..... I've found you get what you pay for with LED signals. I just bought some R&G signals ($80 for a pair), and a TST integrated tail light. Best money I've spent in a while. They are the brightest I've found. You can actually be seen in direct sunlight.  Electrical isn't one my strong areas. I'd rather have a connecting rod laying on the floor in pool of oil, than an electrical issues.... Good luck-


""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DewMan
5 hours ago, Jord said:

I bought some cheap LED signals off amazon but can’t get them to work. They are the type that flow across the strip when they flash, they only work when I use the hazard button and even then only half the LED,s light up and stay on constant

Am I missing something here? 

I have searched the topic but most posts are about blown fuses etc but I don’t have that problem 

 

Are you using a flasher unit that supports LEDs?

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009T3AF7W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 


DewMan
 
Just shut up and ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jord
7 hours ago, cornerslider said:

Maybe try plugging the old ones back in? It could be as simple as a blown fuse. If the OEM signals still work, I'd say you just got some bad LED's. I've gone that route in the past, and it's too frustrating to deal with..... I've found you get what you pay for with LED signals. I just bought some R&G signals ($80 for a pair), and a TST integrated tail light. Best money I've spent in a while. They are the brightest I've found. You can actually be seen in direct sunlight.  Electrical isn't one my strong areas. I'd rather have a connecting rod laying on the floor in pool of oil, than an electrical issues.... Good luck-

Yeh I’m guessing I have some dodgy led’s  I plugged the oem signals in and they are working fine. Get what you pay for I suppose. Il have to save some pennies and  get something like the setup you have, I do like the integrated tail light. 

 

7 hours ago, DewMan said:

Are you using a flasher unit that supports LEDs?

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009T3AF7W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

No I didn’t change the relay yet, could that be the problem do you think? I thought that was just for speed of the blinkers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
klx678

very likely from what I've understood.  The wattage draw of LEDs is so small compared to regular incandescents that the relay won'f work.  I had the opposite when I put on some Buell turn signals on my dual sport, they drew more and flashed really slow.  Swap out to a variable loade LED flasher and it should work.  You can get them likely at most auto parts stores.  Here's an Amazon listing I snagged quick...  click here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
klx678
Just now, klx678 said:

Very likely from what I've understood.  The wattage draw of LEDs is so small compared to regular incandescents that the flasher relay won't work.  I had the opposite when I put on some Buell turn signals on my dual sport, they drew more and flashed really slow.  Swap out to a variable loade LED flasher and it should work.  You can get them likely at most auto parts stores.  Here's an Amazon listing I snagged quick...  click here.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jord

Ok, thanks for the link. Il pick one up and see what happens 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.