The MT-07 Forum

LED signals not working

Jord

I bought some cheap LED signals off amazon but can’t get them to work. They are the type that flow across the strip when they flash, they only work when I use the hazard button and even then only half the LED,s light up and stay on constant

Am I missing something here? 

I have searched the topic but most posts are about blown fuses etc but I don’t have that problem 

• Premium Member

Maybe try plugging the old ones back in? It could be as simple as a blown fuse. If the OEM signals still work, I'd say you just got some bad LED's. I've gone that route in the past, and it's too frustrating to deal with..... I've found you get what you pay for with LED signals. I just bought some R&G signals ($80 for a pair), and a TST integrated tail light. Best money I've spent in a while. They are the brightest I've found. You can actually be seen in direct sunlight.  Electrical isn't one my strong areas. I'd rather have a connecting rod laying on the floor in pool of oil, than an electrical issues.... Good luck-

• Like 1

""W.O.T. until you see god, then brake"

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Jord said:

I bought some cheap LED signals off amazon but can’t get them to work. They are the type that flow across the strip when they flash, they only work when I use the hazard button and even then only half the LED,s light up and stay on constant

I have searched the topic but most posts are about blown fuses etc but I don’t have that problem 

Are you using a flasher unit that supports LEDs?

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009T3AF7W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

7 hours ago, cornerslider said:

Maybe try plugging the old ones back in? It could be as simple as a blown fuse. If the OEM signals still work, I'd say you just got some bad LED's. I've gone that route in the past, and it's too frustrating to deal with..... I've found you get what you pay for with LED signals. I just bought some R&G signals ($80 for a pair), and a TST integrated tail light. Best money I've spent in a while. They are the brightest I've found. You can actually be seen in direct sunlight.  Electrical isn't one my strong areas. I'd rather have a connecting rod laying on the floor in pool of oil, than an electrical issues.... Good luck-

Yeh I’m guessing I have some dodgy led’s  I plugged the oem signals in and they are working fine. Get what you pay for I suppose. Il have to save some pennies and  get something like the setup you have, I do like the integrated tail light. 

7 hours ago, DewMan said:

Are you using a flasher unit that supports LEDs?

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009T3AF7W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No I didn’t change the relay yet, could that be the problem do you think? I thought that was just for speed of the blinkers 

very likely from what I've understood.  The wattage draw of LEDs is so small compared to regular incandescents that the relay won'f work.  I had the opposite when I put on some Buell turn signals on my dual sport, they drew more and flashed really slow.  Swap out to a variable loade LED flasher and it should work.  You can get them likely at most auto parts stores.  Here's an Amazon listing I snagged quick...  click here.

Just now, klx678 said:

Very likely from what I've understood.  The wattage draw of LEDs is so small compared to regular incandescents that the flasher relay won't work.  I had the opposite when I put on some Buell turn signals on my dual sport, they drew more and flashed really slow.  Swap out to a variable loade LED flasher and it should work.  You can get them likely at most auto parts stores.  Here's an Amazon listing I snagged quick...  click here.

• 6 months later...

I was diagnosing a similar issue. I also bought cheap “sequential” turn signal LEDs. The led sequential pattern would go half way and reset. It was due to the relay being with wrong timing. Get an adjustable one as klx suggested. 

• Premium Member
On 12/21/2019 at 1:06 PM, Jord said:

I know the problem..."cheap" and "amazon". It may not make a difference but perhaps a dedicated led relay would help, but as you mentioned it might only adjust the blinking speed.

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.