The MT-07 Forum

FZ/MT-07 Extreme Creations Turbo Kit

norcal616

Holy crap, everyone around this forum is really stepping up their game! There's a tonne of cool stuff from airbox engineering projects to bike builds to performance upgrades goin on. This is awesome! 

So this is going to use e85, or some other fuel? Stock pistons, rods, compression? What rpm operating range?

Love your detailed docu-pic thread too. More please.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
On 12/23/2019 at 7:32 AM, mossrider said:

Holy crap, everyone around this forum is really stepping up their game! There's a tonne of cool stuff from airbox engineering projects to bike builds to performance upgrades goin on. This is awesome! 

So this is going to use e85, or some other fuel? Stock pistons, rods, compression? What rpm operating range?

Love your detailed docu-pic thread too. More please.

Even this airbox has a nice CNC machined bellmouths on the intake plate like Hordpower Airbox has

Uses regular premium pump gas 93+... motor is still in factory form at 20k miles...new stock spark plugs were installed for this build... ECU is in OEM form, I am using a PCV with supplied map... kit was designed/tested to run 11.1-11.5 AFRs...

Stage 2 turbo aka "e85": need some motor upgrades such as Carillo Rods, Ti valves, valve springs from Webb, heavy duty clutch springs, ARP cylinder head stud kit, piston rings need to be gapped for boosted applications and have the pistons ceramic coated... that will produce approx 145HP/115TQ at 8psi... I already have most of the parts just need to source a place to have the pistons ceramic coated...and transmission should be upgraded- shimed/cut gears...

Here is a HP comparison dyno chart for stage 1 turbo kit vs stock: max boost is approx 7.5-8psi...

1995799039_MT07TurboPowerfinal600.jpg.2c5234c8bb4182f16b81f19b717ba4be.jpg

• Like 2

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member

PicsArt_12-23-08_14_39.thumb.jpg.e1aaaf587cfba523316e31c88ce1b940.jpg

Green lines= stock(might be aftermarket exhaust and tune)

Red lines= stage 1 turbo

Look at the peak/spread TQ of the turbo to the stock HP curve 😅...looking at the charts the Turbo starts making more power at 3.7k rpms and never gives up...

• Like 3

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, CarGuy7a said:

If 100+hp isn't enough, you could always add methanol injection 😜 Can't wait to see what you come up with after you get it all tuned in.

The e85 kit apparently hits 145hp/115tq... that requires a built motor from rods, valves, springs, head studs, ceramic coated pistons, bigger injectors...

For this kit- I'm gonna leave it as is, still need to find a motorcycle dyno guy/girl I trust to help to go to a stage2 kit or whatnot...

• Premium Member

I finally got the chain cut and installed... had to take 2 links outta the 130link chain...I also had to cut 3/8" off the adjuster bolts to allow the axle blocks to slide forward...I was gonna go with 129links but it was too close to maxing out the adjuster before the chain even started to stretch...

Exhaust can is arriving today, so I am definitely gonna take a lil cruise around the neighborhood just to get a feel for the sound before I install the exhaust can which makes it a touch louder than stock at idle vs no muffler which is race pipe loud in comparison, not saying its loud but using a muffler its night/day difference in sound, I don't think 99.9% of the population would notice/hear it's a turbo bike 🤣

I don't expect to do much during today's ride as its winter time- roads are dry but road grip is lacking to do anything past a slow neighborhood cruise... 

Even just sitting on the bike with the swingarm extensions vs stock, it feels much more planted- maybe sits a bit lower(?) feeling wise(?)...

More pictures to follow...maybe a video walk around if I can figure out how to upload one...

• Like 1

Interesting kit and it shall be fun to hear how you like it.

Your bike probably sits a bit lower as the swingarm extensions puts more leverage on the shock - it is in effect softer now. You might want to put on a stiffer spring and then maybe even reshim the shock to suit.

But you can take it in steps - see how you like it now, if it is too soft, makes the bike ground etc. you can put on a stiffer spring, if the shock then becomes bouncy you can reshim...

• Premium Member

Took the bike out for its maiden ride... yea buddy!!! She moves, even smoother than before...

Ride is better but not quite as nimble but still nimble... 

Power delivery is smooth as you roll on the throttle even ripping thru 2nd-4th gears... just cruising around at very little throttle input it's making about 1-2psi of boost and as you give it throttle the boost climbs, I was able to hit 6.5psi of boost... hardly any "hang up" when I let off the throttle under boost hit 100mph and let it slow down under it's own power... engine braking is a like halfway between OEM and flashed ECU... 

Pictures to follow... any specific pictures y'all want to see, just ask...

• Like 2

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, JanM said:

Interesting kit and it shall be fun to hear how you like it.

Your bike probably sits a bit lower as the swingarm extensions puts more leverage on the shock - it is in effect softer now. You might want to put on a stiffer spring and then maybe even reshim the shock to suit.

But you can take it in steps - see how you like it now, if it is too soft, makes the bike ground etc. you can put on a stiffer spring, if the shock then becomes bouncy you can reshim...

I already got an aftermarket suspension, I cant imagine what OEM suspension would feel like 😅

1 hour ago, norcal616 said:

.. any specific pictures y'all want to see, just ask...

Yeah, one of me ridin a 6th gear wheelie on it...

Seriously sounds like you're gonna be having a buttload of fun. Good thing in this country most of the ways to kill yourself are still legal, lol. Give er hell!

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Final look: few small details need to be done- flush mount turn signals, get some fuel line "fire sleeves" to protect the turbo oil line since it runs near the exhaust and right behind the headers and re route the fuel pressure guage with a longer line to mount on dashboard...

20191228_172856.thumb.jpg.4f12fd7f729ac46e17be3fea6857bed9.jpg

Extra mount I made: bent a piece of flat bar, used the top turbo exhaust hole and the stock exhaust mount bolt hole...

20191228_172948.thumb.jpg.17fc878610a3ff522bb4bea7629a1b55.jpg

Pic of OEM rear brake caliper tab ground down: about thumb thickness between tire and the ground down tab...

20191228_173012.thumb.jpg.610162f74910947a1fcdc7cc64166e3c.jpg

Chain guard: cut down to get tire clearance...top view...

20191228_173057.thumb.jpg.1451e5a00f7767ff0469aae5a81f389e.jpg

Chain guard side view...

20191228_180722.thumb.jpg.8ee58bdcc8154b21bb929a43b43c508b.jpg

charge pipe tube...

20191228_180754.thumb.jpg.48677dee18ff1c31f0ea26864c3a6ac7.jpg

Ebay exhaust can... shorter than I wanted but they only cost $30-60 bucks, I thought it was long like my Yoshi but I will search for a longer one...little ole 7in can...

20191228_173146.thumb.jpg.8c607534fa84a13acfb4ad282ffd6236.jpg

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, norcal616 said:

eBay exhaust can... shorter than I wanted but they only cost $30-60 bucks

This project turned out jawesome. Super stoked to see how she runs. Post a selfie of the stupid grin on yer face after ridin it.

On an aside. At the rate I'm depleting the aftermarket of used Yosh cans, can you pm me a link to the can you got? I was looking at some on fleabay too. Or sell me that one when you find what you want?.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
17 minutes ago, FZ07R WaNaB said:

Just seriously curious...  what's the final $$$ on this project

Turbo kit, extensions, chain, powdercoating, was $3200- price goes up/down depending on exchange rate... probably will be around $3400 with the extra stuff I did such as longer fuel pressure line, fuel pressure  guage mount, fuel line fire sleeves... 

Will cost more as I upgrade to stage 2 aka "e85" in the future with aftermarket rods, valves, valve springs, transmission upgrade, sending pistons out to be ceramic coated, ARP cylinder/head studs, bigger injectors, dyno time...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

This turbo kit also looks like it will allow the use of the passenger foot peg assembly... I was curious to see if they fit and I'm gonna keep em on since it adds another secured mounting point for the turbo system... 

20191230_055254.thumb.jpg.6b04c766a4f65c0de38eb445aba167bc.jpg

• Premium Member

Found a dyno chart of the turbo bike vs a tuned MT-09...

Green- turbo bike

Red- MT-09

Screenshot_20200101-235952_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8b7f81f060defc8d9a123c21c8dcf3c0.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

Update: after looking thru the fleabay exhaust and looking at the exhaust can in the video they created, I have come to this conclusion: the turbo exhaust exhaust pipe is 51mm and the exhaust cans Extreme Creations sells as an option have a 61mm diameter... so I have ordered a 61mm exhaust can with an adapter via fleabay... 

The current fleabay exhaust I have is a 51mm inlet but it looks like it reduces a tiny bit inside the exhaust can- that's not helping me reduce the noise... hopefully the wider 61mm inlet  will achieve the loudness I want...

I also have another 51mm exhaust can on the way which is even longer than my original exhaust can purchase to see which one works...

I'm late to the party, but thanks a bunch for posting pics of the s-arm extensions. That makes perfect sense now. 

The dyno charts are very impressive! I didn't realize you were basically doubling the hp at the back tire!  WooHoo!!

Looking at the charts, like you mentioned, the turbo seems to only start coming on around 4k rpm. In reality does it feel stronger below that range as well? I've learned to really appreciate the grunt of these engines and short-shift all over the place now. Some days I'll flog the piss out of my bike and never go over 5 or 6 grand lol. 

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, shinyribs said:

I'm late to the party, but thanks a bunch for posting pics of the s-arm extensions. That makes perfect sense now. 

The dyno charts are very impressive! I didn't realize you were basically doubling the hp at the back tire!  WooHoo!!

Looking at the charts, like you mentioned, the turbo seems to only start coming on around 4k rpm. In reality does it feel stronger below that range as well? I've learned to really appreciate the grunt of these engines and short-shift all over the place now. Some days I'll flog the piss out of my bike and never go over 5 or 6 grand lol. 

I have only a few slow laps around the neighborhood since it's still winter... I need to wait till late spring or so to really start riding it...

I do notice the "power" runs thru the RPMs alot quicker than my previous 2 set ups... anything below 3.5k RPMs, it feels not much different than my previous 2 set ups... 

My previous set ups I loved to run the rpms to out 8k shift point I had set... anything after that it felt like it was past trying to keep up with getting air into the motor...

I'm currently changing out the turbo oil supply line so I can run a oil pressure regulator and guage, I think it's got a bit much oil pressure but I just wanna be safe and double check to see if a restrictor is in place...re run the oil turbo oil drain line so it lays "flater" to help oil pump...

if that don't help out I am gonna have to rebuild the motor a year earlier than I wanted( almost 20k miles on motor that's never been opened- only did oil changes and changed spark plugs 2 times)...already got rods, valves, springs, rings and gaskets on hand...

• Like 2

• Global Moderator
11 hours ago, norcal616 said:

I have only a few slow laps around the neighborhood since it's still winter... I need to wait till late spring or so to really start riding it...

I do notice the "power" runs thru the RPMs alot quicker than my previous 2 set ups... anything below 3.5k RPMs, it feels not much different than my previous 2 set ups... 

My previous set ups I loved to run the rpms to out 8k shift point I had set... anything after that it felt like it was past trying to keep up with getting air into the motor...

I'm currently changing out the turbo oil supply line so I can run a oil pressure regulator and guage, I think it's got a bit much oil pressure but I just wanna be safe and double check to see if a restrictor is in place...

if that don't help out I am gonna have to rebuild the motor a year earlier than I wanted( almost 20k miles on motor that's never been opened- only did oil changes and changed spark plugs 2 times)...already got rods, valves, springs, rings and gaskets on hand...

do a long/well documented teardown when you do end up pulling/reworking the motor
i'd love to see it

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, sorkyah said:

do a long/well documented teardown when you do end up pulling/reworking the motor
i'd love to see it

I would rather not- motor rebuilds require my full attention... I can post some snapshots if I have to rebuild motor...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, norcal616 said:

Completely unacceptable!! With great forced induction power comes great responsibility!

Pretty sure that's how it goes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Completely unacceptable!! With great forced induction power comes great responsibility!

Pretty sure that's how it goes.

I'm aware of the power- cracked 3 water jackets on a stock block last year..made 19# on a 8# spring 😁... now it's got a Dart block and 3# springs for daily driving... we did something right 🤣

• Haha 1