Sign in to follow this  
Cruizin

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

br4nd0n
Posted (edited)

I went down to tighten a loose bolt and figured I'd clean the oxidization on the metal coolant pipes... Little did I know that using vinegar on the pipes would somewhat wipe away the anodizing (oxide layer). Guess Yamaha decided to really cheap out on the anodizing as I've never seen this happen before. Anyone else care to chime in? My plan is now to just paint them with high temperature paint.

Edited by br4nd0n

peteinpa

yeah those coolant pipes suck. Despite not seeing much rain, salt, etc. their finish is coming off.

Got new red 2015 FZ-07 on 7/22/16!
Black 2006 Honda ST1300 53K miles.

robbo10

This wss another warranty issue for some, if that helps.

Just do it! 

fzar
On 4/27/2019 at 7:03 AM, scat2me said:

Installed new Galfer SS Brake lines. The ones that were shown here on sale at Moto Sport.. Easy install. Great customer service

What style did you get, the OEM routing or the 2 seperate lines? @scat2me for the front.

scat2me
On 5/1/2019 at 9:34 AM, fzar said:
36 minutes ago, fzar said:

I got the OEM

I got the oem What style did you get, the OEM routing or the 2 seperate lines? @scat2me for the front.

What style did you get, the OEM routing or the 2 seperate lines? @scat2me for the front.

I'm not sure I got all the information here! Did you change the pads too? and if so what did you change to? Otherwise I see no reason for the brakes to be working themselves in. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm no expert on this matter I would just assume that when you change the brake lines, if the pads were not changed you could squeeze away to your heart's content without having to bed-in the pads!! @scat2me. I mean the way I look at it is: The recommended replacement time is 2 years or so, and Iv'e got the OEM still on my 2015. Heres the cost of just the lines from partzilla:

WWW.PARTZILLA.COM

So for the money its worth it to me to go with the SS braided lines from Galfer, just an FYI Galfer rotors are on my '15 FZ-07, didn't ever notice until I changed the front tire myself.

scat2me
11 minutes ago, scat2me said:

I changed the pads and went with the OEM ROUTING. Galfer sintered in the rear and EBC sintered on the front. After 2 weeks the brakes feel much better.

• Like 1

pma

I'm all done. Suspension, Hord air, ECU flashing, rearsets, exhaust, handlebars, lights, seats, you name it. This bike is a beast now compared to when I bought it new. Should I sell it to fund another project or keep and enjoy for a bit longer?

IMG_2309.jpg

• Like 1

DewMan
10 minutes ago, pma said:

Should I sell it to fund another project or keep and enjoy for a bit longer?

If you'd planned on selling it you should have done that before modding. The return on investment would have probably been better. For some reason stock will usually get you a better price than one with lots of mods unless you're lucky enough to find just the right buyer.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

pma

Not terribly concerned with return on investment. I knew that would never happen from the beginning. The build was fun and I learned a lot from modding this bike. That's money well spent in my book. This FZ is wickedly fun to ride as commuter and a weekend canyon carver as well. I'm just at a point where I'm looking to make a decision of what's more important. Keep or sell and start something new.

Beemer
1 hour ago, pma said:

I'm all done. Suspension, Hord air, ECU flashing, rearsets, exhaust, handlebars, lights, seats, you name it. This bike is a beast now compared to when I bought it new. Should I sell it to fund another project or keep and enjoy for a bit longer?

IMG_2309.jpg

WHAAAAAT?!!!!! Don't be silly, keep the bike and pimp yourself out for extra money. 😎

Beemer

br4nd0n
6 hours ago, robbo10 said:

This wss another warranty issue for some, if that helps.

Unfortunately, I purchased the motorcycle back in 2015 so my warranty is most likely up. I did however also have the issue of the damn coolant pipe/pump area leaking when I first purchased it and had that warrantied.

njdevils1990

Finally installed a radiator guard and adjusted my loose drive chain since I've procrastinated a little on that.

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

fzar
15 hours ago, scat2me said:

I changed the pads and went with the OEM ROUTING. Galfer sintered in the rear and EBC sintered on the front. After 2 weeks the brakes feel much better.

On the parts list from galfer here: INSTALLATION PROCESS: FK003D879OEM Front Line Kit 2015+ YAMAHA FZ-07 Parts List: 2 lines 2 single banjo bolts 1 double banjo bolt 9 crush washers (7 will be used, 2 will be spares) 4 grommets

I didn't get the 4 grommets, did you get the 4 grommets with your front OEM style lines @scat2me I just want to know before I call motosport.com or Galfer to see what the deal is.

scat2me

I didn't receive any grommets. Unless what they refer to as grommets are the actual bolts.

pma
18 hours ago, Beemer said:

WHAAAAAT?!!!!! Don't be silly, keep the bike and pimp yourself out for extra money. 😎

I appreciate the sentiment, but at my age there ain't much left to pimp out. They may give me $$ to go away though, so that is an option. Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

fzar
4 hours ago, scat2me said:

I didn't receive any grommets. Unless what they refer to as grommets are the actual bolts.

The grommets are where the lines are held  in the lower triple tree and then there's 1 on the left side front fender and in the middle on top of the front fender. They supplied the rear grommet to replace the OEM, but none for the front. I called motorsport.com and they told me to return what I have and they are sending me a new set of front lines with the grommets, as they said that'll be the fastest way, without going back to Galfer and having me wait. Maybe I'll end up with another package with no grommets !!! but it's on Galfers part list, so I asked. https://galferusa.com/static/files/downloads/D879OEM Instructions.pdf 

scat2me

My package was complete. No issues. I also ordered Bel-ray   DOT 4 Brake Fluid - 35  from Moto sport

NRWhiteKnight

Installed a Puig Touring Windscreen in dark smoke.

20190517_160533_zpswhqmqbd6.JPG

20190517_160521_zpsm2bzmuvk.JPG

20190517_160514_zps2ywpx652.JPG

• Like 2

2018 MT-07 - Mods: Shorty Levers, Radiator Guard

JayMT07

@NRWhiteKnight Any more pics?  Full bike side shot?  3/4 full bike shot?

Instagram: @jayparrington 

NRWhiteKnight
Posted (edited)

@JayMT07 I'll get some more up soon and tag you.

Edited by NRWhiteKnight
  • Like 1

NRWhiteKnight
  • Like 1

NRWhiteKnight
  • Like 1

JayMT07

@NRWhiteKnight Thanks!  That looks pretty good on there. 

NRWhiteKnight

@JayMT07Thanks. I like it. It was super easy to install. In fact, for the two upper bolts for the mounting bracket, I used the OEM bolts as I felt the ones included were a little long. The lower bolts I used the ones supplied. I put about 250 miles on it today. It tends to put the wind up about just the top of my shoulders for me. I am 7' 7.5". seems to be a good trade off.

JayMT07
3 minutes ago, NRWhiteKnight said:

@JayMT07Thanks. I like it. It was super easy to install. In fact, for the two upper bolts for the mounting bracket, I used the OEM bolts as I felt the ones included were a little long. The lower bolts I used the ones supplied. I put about 250 miles on it today. It tends to put the wind up about just the top of my shoulders for me. I am 7' 7.5". seems to be a good trade off.

@NRWhiteKnight   You sure you're that tall?