The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

Installed new Galfer SS Brake lines. The ones that were shown here on sale at Moto Sport.. Easy install. Great customer service

Renewed the brake fluid with low viscosity DOT4 SL6 , tried the cheap chinese vacuum tool. Works quite good if you put some brake cylinder grease to the thread of the bleeding screws to prevent that the vacuum sucks air through the thread which causes annoying bubbles that I dont't like. Fluid in the pic is the 2nd flush  after some ABS braking-test to get the old stuff out of the hydraulic assembly. Rear brake has a hard pressure point now, front is better but still a little bit spongy. Have to compare with another MT-07 or remove saddles >:/

IMG_20190427_113223.thumb.jpg.cd6df458fc9f86e8c1d32152d125e047.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Beemer said:

@shinyribs   I tried the Battlax S21's the first set of new tires and I loved them, very grippy, felt awesome but I wish they wore better in the center.

I got 3800 miles out my my BT023's and 3300 miles out of S21, so I'm surprised how well the S21 actually did. I could've got another 500 miles+ before hitting the wear bars in the middle, but they shoulders were gone. The Pilot Power 3 from up front went 7,6000 miles! It still had another 1k+ in the center, but the edges were getting smooth as well.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

I got 3800 miles out my my BT023's and 3300 miles out of S21, so I'm surprised how well the S21 actually did. I could've got another 500 miles+ before hitting the wear bars in the middle, but they shoulders were gone. The Pilot Power 3 from up front went 7,6000 miles! It still had another 1k+ in the center, but the edges were getting smooth as well.

If there were more curvy roads around here mine would've lasted longer, no doubt but as it is the roads are mostly straight with wide sweeping curves that don't allow you to use much of anything left or right of center on the tire so mine wore very quickly in the center. Man, it sucked too. The freakin center was worn with nubs still on the sides. What a waste! It's the reason I switched to cheap tires that don't grip as well but hopefully last as long or longer in the center.

Beemer

Yeah, the center could be harder still. Would be nice to see multi compound tires with truly hard/touring strips in the center. I reckon that wouldn't work so well for guys ripping on 150hp bikes, but for a lower powered bike like ours it would be an awesome balance. 

• Thanks 1

I installed the Givi crash cage.

Instructions were only pictures, and lost a nut.(from the bike).

20190427_124121_resized.jpg

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:20 AM, robbo10 said:

Sorry, the bike was only borrowed and has gone back. But here are red wheels:

Wow! They look wicked on that black!

Beemer

I have been pining for yellow wheels but the red something else. I remember contributing a negative opinion to Yamaha Design Cafe on some proposed colours that seemed to me too lurid at the time. But they do work very well.

Just do it! 

• Premium Member
On 4/27/2019 at 7:03 AM, scat2me said:

Installed new Galfer SS Brake lines. The ones that were shown here on sale at Moto Sport.. Easy install. Great customer service

Did you go with the OEM or 2 lines up front? Also @scat2me have you tested them? and if so what were your findings? I'm thinking I might go with these. I'm curious as to how they worked out for you.

I went with OEM and ordered the Bel-Ray super DOT4.  I have only put on 40 miles so the brakes are just working themselves in. I haven't noticed a difference. Although I do feel more confident that the pads and lines are better then the OEM.

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, scat2me said:

I went with OEM and ordered the Bel-Ray super DOT4.  I have only put on 40 miles so the brakes are just working themselves in. I haven't noticed a difference. Although I do feel more confident that the pads and lines are better then the OEM.

I'm not sure I got all the information here! Did you change the pads too? and if so what did you change to? Otherwise I see no reason for the brakes to be working themselves in. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm no expert on this matter I would just assume that when you change the brake lines, if the pads were not changed you could squeeze away to your heart's content without having to bed-in the pads!! @scat2me. I mean the way I look at it is: The recommended replacement time is 2 years or so, and Iv'e got the OEM still on my 2015. Heres the cost of just the lines from partzilla:

WWW.PARTZILLA.COM

So for the money its worth it to me to go with the SS braided lines from Galfer, just an FYI Galfer rotors are on my '15 FZ-07, didn't ever notice until I changed the front tire myself.

mossrider
Just now, fzar said:

, just an FYI Galfer rotors are on my '15 FZ-07, didn't ever notice until I changed the front tire myself.

Galfer is an OEM supplier of rotors for Yamaha. Just as Brembo is for rear masters and KYB for suspension. They outsource many parts to 3rd party vendors now days. 

mossrider
On 4/27/2019 at 3:27 AM, shinyribs said:

Typical spring time go-through. Brake fluid flush, check steering bearings and new fork oil. Ended up needing new tires, so did this all together. Sidenote, my last pair of tires were a S21 rear + Pilot Power 3 front. I loved those tires, but the PP#3is no more. So I just went with S21's front and rear and ...woah...what a fantastic handing pair of tires. 

Wu6PA51l.jpg

YHENa4yl.jpg

Finally got around to riveting some anchor straps to the Corbin seat.

N5EaAKKl.jpg

So I can use my Knock Kreiga I made. 😁 Had some vinyl left over from another project. Bought some lashing and fittings from the local ski shop. Sewed the main part of the bag together, but decided to bolt all the straps and hardware on with Chicago screws. If a clip fails, or a strap frays, it will be easy to unscrew and replace- especially away form home. Got about $16 in this bag.

HKPeaOZl.jpg

Shown here holding two 1 gallon milk jugs. 

gjzMPECl.jpg

While it isn't invisible when not in use, it tucks away pretty nicely. It's vinyl, so it won't leak. I'll turn it inside out and coat the seams to make it fully waterproof.
Need more black screws for the straps and may also powdercoat the hooks black to help them hide. It ain't no Kreiga, but it'll do!

PSRZ1Yal.jpg

Nothing like a preseason overhaul to get familiar with your machine.  Realy adds pleasure and confidence to the seasons adventures.

The S-21's have been a standard for Lightweight Supersport racing, which required a treaded DOT tire, for a couple years until they came out with new RS-10/11's in smaller bike sizes to supercede the S-21 in racing applications anyway. The S-21 is still an awesome tire on the road.

Your problem solving and handy work is awesome! Love that upgraded Corbin/luggage  touring solution.

• Like 3

Blitz6804

Rode Miku to the range... she's a bit squirlier now on gravel than she used to be, probably because of the exhaust and tune... but we made it.  :D

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Took her to the dealer yesterday for maintenance. I purchased 3 years of maintenance with the bike. I have had issues with dealer service in the past that left a sour taste in my mouth. However they have made some personnel changes and things seem to have improved!

Today I took her out for a 50 mile cruise. It was so nice, and uplifting. Oh and I have decided her name is Annie.

• Like 1

Liquidmetal

My FZ got fresh oil and filter last night (Motul 7100 10W-40 and HiFlo).

Gonna clean and lube the chain soon.  Still looks okay at the moment.

Gotta 17 tooth front sprocket (Vortex) hanging on the garage wall that will go in one of these days when I am feeling properly motivated.

Picked up a few carbon fiber bits for the FZ as well, need to get those put on one of these days also.

Bought a new warm weather riding jacket for myself.  A Viking Cycle Ironside jacket that I like very much.  Fits great, is very comfortable, and flows air like crazy to keep you cool.  Great buy, instantly became my favorite riding jacket the first time I used it.

• Like 1

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

mossrider
Just now, Benh972 said:

I have had issues with dealer service in the past that left a sour taste in my mouth. However they have made some personnel changes and things seem to have improved!

I worked at a dealership for a time in the service department. It was frustrating as they had one factory certified mechanic and 5 bolt breakers (me) doing the work. They billed my work at full shop rate yet only paid minimum wage, no bennies. They had me doing all sorts of things I was neither trained nor qualified to do yet they billed my time at $95/hour. I had access to all factory service material online but thats no replacement for proper training. I learned a lot at the customers expense. The mechanic was poorly paid too but at least he got bennefits. No wonder the dealers have poor customer feedback.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, mossrider said:

I worked at a dealership for a time in the service department. It was frustrating as they had one factory certified mechanic and 5 bolt breakers (me) doing the work. They billed my work at full shop rate yet only paid minimum wage, no bennies. They had me doing all sorts of things I was neither trained nor qualified to do yet they billed my time at $95/hour. I had access to all factory service material online but thats no replacement for proper training. I learned a lot at the customers expense. The mechanic was poorly paid too but at least he got bennefits. No wonder the dealers have poor customer feedback.

Now that's what I call some good insider info.! 

Beemer

Once again I spaced posting when it happened, but finally got my Rhinomoto bar ends on, and installed one of my CRG Arrows(second one is stuck on another bar end with a completely stripped bolt, CRG uses really soft ones btw lol). 

20190503_222223.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 208MT07 said:

Once again I spaced posting when it happened, but finally got my Rhinomoto bar ends on, and installed one of my CRG Arrows(second one is stuck on another bar end with a completely stripped bolt, CRG uses really soft ones btw lol). 

20190503_222223.jpg

Are those proton signals?? I literally just got mine in the mail yesterday, but haven't installed them yet. I was a little worried about them being too hidden behind the radiator covers, but judging from your picture, it looks like they do poke out a bit and can be seen from the front.

1 hour ago, 7fold said:

Are those proton signals?? I literally just got mine in the mail yesterday, but haven't installed them yet. I was a little worried about them being too hidden behind the radiator covers, but judging from your picture, it looks like they do poke out a bit and can be seen from the front.

Yeah they are. They obviously stick out far less than other options, but I feel like they're pretty visible when activated(pic is mid-flash, and is brighter than they would appear in direct daylight, but they're still decently bright)

20190507_172219.jpg

phanomenal07

Today I tried  lubing my cables and pivots. The grease that were already on the brake and clutch lever seem to still be good since I changed my levers recently. I used the motion pro tool to lube my clutch cable. I didn't put a rag on the bottom end so now I have lube all over my clutch cover. The tool didn't fit around the throttle cable because of that wierd curved piece so I just worked the lubed down a little bit at a time. That sucked. Now for the part that ok confused about. When I went to lube my kick stand pivot there was one washer for the nut and ONLY one washer for where the kick stand and the mounting holes meet. The parts diagram shows that there should be a washer on each side of the collar on the kick stand? 

2018 MT-07

I've only been a motorcyclist for a month, maybe. Lol.

2018 MT-07 is my first motorcycle.

In the last 3 weeks I have done.

-R6 throttle tube

-Cyclops 10,000 lumen LED headlight.

-High Tech Speed Proton 500s' front signals.

-High Tech Speed X-Arc rear signals.

-TST fender eliminator.

-TST signal relay.

- Magnetic drain plug.

-1 oil change Yamaha dino oil w/filter.

-1 oil change Yamaha semi-synthetic w/filter.

-1 oil change Yamaha full synthetic w/filter.

-3 washes and polish.

-4 chain clean and lube.

I'm averaging over 1000 km per week at the moment, if anyone is wonder why so many oil changes already.

I'm murdering about 10,000 insects per day. Lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Liquidmetal

Parked it.  Took the Vulcan out of storage yesterday and will put some miles on it over the next week or two.  The Vulcan needs tires, brakes, and a stator, so the FZ will be back on the road again soon while I do the maintenance on the Vulcan.

I like both bikes equally but for different reasons, so I try to split my time between them somewhat equally, although I usually favor the FZ a little bit.

Edited by Liquidmetal

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.