Cruizin

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Wintersdark

Cleaned, lubed, and adjusted chain.  She's been sitting for two weeks due to this BS polar vortex crap; -26C is too cold even for me to ride, but felt bad.  Two weeks without riding!  So long :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

RojoRacing
22 hours ago, Sebastian said:

Finished converting my 2018 MT-07 reflector headlight to a projector HID headlight using Morimoto products. A lot of small things needed to be taken care of before you can get the final result, but it could be done and it was really worth it. Total cost was around $170. 

20190209_115055.jpg

what model projector did you go with?  I used a D2S 4.0 on mine.  I swear you picked the exact same shroud as mine as well.  I didn't bother with a halo because a motorcycle needs to run the head light any time it's ridden so it would drown out the halo anyways. 

Sebastian
19 hours ago, RojoRacing said:

what model projector did you go with?  I used a D2S 4.0 on mine.  I swear you picked the exact same shroud as mine as well.  I didn't bother with a halo because a motorcycle needs to run the head light any time it's ridden so it would drown out the halo anyways. 

I went with the Moromoto D2S Bi-Xenon projector, and the Apollo 3.0 shroud. My bulb in the picture is turned on, and you can still see the halo. I would say the halo is much more brighter than I expected. It is the way to go if you don't mind the extra work. Besides, the halo turns amber when I switch to high beam, but a lot dimmer. That's how i wired it.

acevedo_corinne@yahoo.com

What do I do for my chain after it has started rusting? I haven't ridden it throughout the winter and now am in the process of cleaning it up/doing minor repairs. I tried using WD-40 to get the rust off, but I seemed to have just made it worse. The chain now looks mucked up and dirty and I'm not sure where to go from here. :'(  (2016 FZ-07)

Edited by acevedo_corinne@yahoo.com

e30kawi
1 hour ago, acevedo_corinne@yahoo.com said:

What do I do for my chain after it has started rusting? I haven't ridden it throughout the winter and now am in the process of cleaning it up/doing minor repairs. I tried using WD-40 to get the rust off, but I seemed to have just made it worse. The chain now looks mucked up and dirty and I'm not sure where to go from here. :'(  (2016 FZ-07)

How bad is the rust? You'll have to use some elbow grease, wire brush, and plenty of cloth rags to get it cleaned up.  

You won't be able to get all of the scarring from the surface rust off with more effort than it's worth. I like to use a Teflon spray, it seems to work pretty good as a cleaner and lubricant. You just have to stay ahead of the game to prevent the rust from getting horrible, but that's just part of the maintenance.

• Like 1

njdevils1990

Installed the MRA Double Bubble windscreen just a moment ago, I'll test it out when I ride tomorrow.

rps20190215_192100.jpg

rps20190215_192154.jpg

• Like 1

208MT07

Finally got around to installing my Evotech radiator guard. 

20190218_154743.jpg

• Like 4

sorkyah
On 1/22/2019 at 6:50 PM, Blitz6804 said:

So I went and bought a new windscreen... STILL doesn't fit.  Anyone know what size bolts Yamaha gives you to install the windscreen?  If I got longer ones of the same size/thread depth, that should fix i

Put her away after filling her up

Am currently in Los Angeles, will be heading out in the morning back to Phoenix 

This trip has been an emotional roller coaster and I'm glad it's over

• Like 1

shinyribs
On 2/15/2019 at 1:02 AM, acevedo_corinne@yahoo.com said:

The only way to remove rust is abrasion or acid. Vinegar works very well, but I'm not sure if it could harm your o-rings or not. Anytime you use an acid to remove rust, you also have to go back and neutralize the acid. Baking soda dissolved in warm water works great for this. 

But really, a little surface rust won't hurt anything. Personally, I only clean my chains with kerosene. Very low odor and doesn't leave any crazy films or anything behind. 

If you do decide to attack it with a wire brush be sure to keep the wire bristles away from the o-rings. Or use a nylon bristled brush to be safe. Though I'm not sure soft bristles would be any use anyway.

Beemer
On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 1:02 AM, acevedo_corinne@yahoo.com said:

Naval Jelly is strong stuff but you would have to be even more careful with it than vinegar alone. I would do a test spot for about 1 minute to see how well that worked before I increased the time. If you buy it definitely read the directions carefully. 

Beemer
On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:02 PM, RojoRacing said:

Another thing about projector headlights that concern me. I've looked at them from out front but to the side a ways and it wasn't very bright, it, very dim as a matter of fact. I take it that's because I was outside the focused light pattern? I know they don't throw light out to the sides and in all directions like an LED would so I'm assuming that's what it was. Am I assuming wrong?

Regardless, it gives me concern when I think about how people need to see your headlight in the day as well as the night. If all it does is light the way nicely at night for the rider but in turn reduces your chances of being seen from a side angle I have to question a riders safety using such a light. Of course it's any individuals decision to do what he or she wants, it's their life. I just thought I should point that negative feature out so others would be aware of it before they switched to a projector type light.