The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

1 hour ago, djfz07 said:

2018 headlight conversion mock up.  Waiting on a few more parts...

2018headlight2.thumb.jpeg.b2c984f1c13b23f2e2004ac57518f158.jpeg2018headlight1.thumb.jpeg.bded45f4373987ae582c6c81fc31f602.jpeg

👍.  is it plug and play in terms of wiring connections? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pjohn said:

1f44d.png.  is it plug and play in terms of wiring connections? 

Only the headlight bulb is plug and play.  The 2018 has a 4 pin connector for the 2 parking lights where the earlier headlight only has a 2 pin.  Also, relocating the turn signals to the sides of the radiator will require extending their wiring too.  A little wiring work is needed but nothing too crazy.  I'll do a little write up along with a full parts list after I get it all buttoned up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, djfz07 said:

Only the headlight bulb is plug and play.  The 2018 has a 4 pin connector for the 2 parking lights where the earlier headlight only has a 2 pin.  Also, relocating the turn signals to the sides of the radiator will require extending their wiring too.  A little wiring work is needed but nothing too crazy.  I'll do a little write up along with a full parts list after I get it all buttoned up.

awesome🍺.  can't wait to see the end result! 

• Premium Member

I’m about to clean it up and make it pretty.  I swear there’s so many bugs on the headlight from my commute that it’s been dimmed down.

superfishal

My HID headlight bulb burnt out while going 80 on a dark country road. Puckered me up real quick. Luckily I was a half mile from home and had a little moonlight to light the rest of my way. Ordered 2 bulbs so I can keep a spare stashed on the bike. Its always something🤔

• Like 1

On 4/23/2018 at 3:28 PM, djfz07 said:

Are those radiator side covers from the 2018 MT07? If so did they bolt on without modifications? Bike is looking good. 

1 minute ago, paypurcup said:

Are those radiator side covers from the 2018 MT07? If so did they bolt on without modifications? Bike is looking good. 

Yep, 2018 radiator covers.  Bolt on no problem but I've found out that they actually don't cover the radiator as much as the earlier ones do.  Partly due to the fact that the 2018 "ram air" grilles come much further forward and the radiator is black on the new models.  So just expect to see more of your silver radiator, mostly the top and rear quarter view.  Extended wiring is also needed to relocate the turn signals.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jbone said:

Sold the bike today... instantly sad and have a void in my heart now. Seller's remorse is coming.

What were you thinking?!

22 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

What were you thinking?!

Dude, I know. But I needed $ for a down payment on a Harley....KIDDING! Real reason is that i've reached my limit in sharing the road with distracted and impatient drivers. I ride about as defensively as one can and I still have non-stop near misses. I know I'm not the only one, but it's enough for me. Sucks.  

15 minutes ago, jbone said:

Dude, I know. But I needed $ for a down payment on a Harley....KIDDING! Real reason is that i've reached my limit in sharing the road with distracted and impatient drivers. I ride about as defensively as one can and I still have non-stop near misses. I know I'm not the only one, but it's enough for me. Sucks.  

That does suck, but you gotta do what feels right for you. I'm lucky that I live in a low traffic area. Even in rush hour traffic I never feel overly endangered by being on the bike. Motorcycles in general are so uncommon around here that it almost causes people to notice you more. People stop waaaay behind me at traffic lights...almost like they are afraid to approach you. It's nice. 

That said, I was run off the road by a driverless van a couple years ago. I guess they were bent over in the floorboard looking for something because I didn't see anyone in there at all. I hit the pavement at 60mph. I slid one direction for about 100' and the bike slid in a slightly different direction. Horrible sounds as it slid and bounced down the pavement. BUT...I walked away without a scratch. I pushed the bike til I came to a house where a really nice lady gave me some duct tape to tape my stator cover up ( so it would stop pouring oil lol) and I rode the bike home. It's obvious that I came close to dying that day, had I actually ran head-on in to/under that van...but I also learned that you can crash in quality gear and walk away. It gave me a scar and an unusual confidence at the same time. 

Hey, you could always get a dirt bike. 

25 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

That does suck, but you gotta do what feels right for you. I'm lucky that I live in a low traffic area. Even in rush hour traffic I never feel overly endangered by being on the bike. Motorcycles in general are so uncommon around here that it almost causes people to notice you more. People stop waaaay behind me at traffic lights...almost like they are afraid to approach you. It's nice. 

That said, I was run off the road by a driverless van a couple years ago. I guess they were bent over in the floorboard looking for something because I didn't see anyone in there at all. I hit the pavement at 60mph. I slid one direction for about 100' and the bike slid in a slightly different direction. Horrible sounds as it slid and bounced down the pavement. BUT...I walked away without a scratch. I pushed the bike til I came to a house where a really nice lady gave me some duct tape to tape my stator cover up ( so it would stop pouring oil lol) and I rode the bike home. It's obvious that I came close to dying that day, had I actually ran head-on in to/under that van...but I also learned that you can crash in quality gear and walk away. It gave me a scar and an unusual confidence at the same time. 

Hey, you could always get a dirt bike. 

Ouch! That sounds bad. Glad you were o.k. I hate being a biatch about it because it's such a fun hobby... other drivers suck. Be safe out there.

Dang, that screeching/scraping noise that bikes make as they grind bits away on the pavement is a sound I hope to never hear again.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2018 at 8:14 PM, djfz07 said:

2018 headlight conversion mock up.  Waiting on a few more parts...

2018headlight2.thumb.jpeg.b2c984f1c13b23f2e2004ac57518f158.jpeg2018headlight1.thumb.jpeg.bded45f4373987ae582c6c81fc31f602.jpeg

I want to do this so bad. looking fwd to your write up!! Your awesome 

Tried my hand at wrapping. Gotta say it takes a lot of time and patience! Pretty happy with the results though. 😬

IMG_20180426_194114-1675x1056.jpg

• Like 3

Took it for its annual test. The rear tyre still good after 7,400 miles and the front has about another 1500 miles left on it. (Had a courtesy Kwak 650 which I enjoyed riding. Very different. Nice, but no MT-07).

• Like 1

Just do it! 

I finally got CRG Arrow mirrors, and holy cow, why aren't they standard?? As a new rider, The massive blind spots from the stock mirrors made me really uncomfortable, but now I have nearly 360* visibility around me without having to move my head hardly at all. Also got rid of the front pumpkins and added a touring windscreen and took it for a ride around the block. If only it didn't rain every warm day, I'd be able to try it out on my commute again!

• Like 2

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, cyow5 said:

I finally got CRG Arrow mirrors, and holy cow, why aren't they standard?? As a new rider, The massive blind spots from the stock mirrors made me really uncomfortable, but now I have nearly 360* visibility around me without having to move my head hardly at all.

I agree! I just added Arrows to mine as well. Who'd of thought smaller mirrors would allow you to see more. I no longer need to tuck my elbow in to see behind me. The slight convex of them makes all the difference in visibility.  I can see three lanes from either mirror now. Obviously when seeing the right lane from the left mirror (from the center lane) you're not going to see someone really close but still way better than stock mirrors. A quick glance allows you to see so much more than bobbing your head all over to see the same area with the OEM rabbit ears.

And Damn, they're sexy looking too. 😍

Edited by DewMan
  • Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, cyow5 said:

I finally got CRG Arrow mirrors, and holy cow, why aren't they standard?? As a new rider, The massive blind spots from the stock mirrors made me really uncomfortable, but now I have nearly 360* visibility around me without having to move my head hardly at all. Also got rid of the front pumpkins and added a touring windscreen and took it for a ride around the block. If only it didn't rain every warm day, I'd be able to try it out on my commute again!

Fire up a pic of the new signals,mirrors, screen. It would be nice to see what you chose and how it looks.

1 minute ago, fzar said:

Fire up a pic of the new signals,mirrors, screen. It would be nice to see what you chose and how it looks.

Here ya go! Not the best at showing everything since it was just a quick snap, but it is similar to what several others have done so you can find a lot of different pics around these parts. 

My impressions are 1) the mirrors are so freaking tiny when you first see them, but the convexity and placement makes them perfect. I wouldn't want them any bigger, but I probably would've laughed at them and put them back on the shelf had I seen them in a store first. 2) I went with the biggest Puig windscreen (Touring) since my commute has a good bit of 70+mph interstate, and I figured I could cut it down later if I really wanted. However, it doesn't look nearly as out of place as I thought it would at first, kinda the opposite of the mirrors. It also looks like it has plenty of room to move the cluster forward. Hmm... 3) I've seen some people get bent out of shape about the low visibility of flush-mounts, but let's be real here - a distracted driver won't miss these any more than they'd miss the pumpkin. I like the DRL feature, but I do think it makes the turn signal less obvious than without the DRLs, so you do have that option, too. I wish the wires were a little shorter since there isn't much room to stuff everything back, but it wasn't too hard to do either. Shorter wires just would've been a little easier. 

IMG_0587.thumb.jpg.264eb4f8b40430b9c60e33d1df04010c.jpg

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, cyow5 said:

Here ya go! Not the best at showing everything since it was just a quick snap, but it is similar to what several others have done so you can find a lot of different pics around these parts. 

My impressions are 1) the mirrors are so freaking tiny when you first see them, but the convexity and placement makes them perfect. I wouldn't want them any bigger, but I probably would've laughed at them and put them back on the shelf had I seen them in a store first. 2) I went with the biggest Puig windscreen (Touring) since my commute has a good bit of 70+mph interstate, and I figured I could cut it down later if I really wanted. However, it doesn't look nearly as out of place as I thought it would at first, kinda the opposite of the mirrors. It also looks like it has plenty of room to move the cluster forward. Hmm... 3) I've seen some people get bent out of shape about the low visibility of flush-mounts, but let's be real here - a distracted driver won't miss these any more than they'd miss the pumpkin. I like the DRL feature, but I do think it makes the turn signal less obvious than without the DRLs, so you do have that option, too. I wish the wires were a little shorter since there isn't much room to stuff everything back, but it wasn't too hard to do either. Shorter wires just would've been a little easier. 

IMG_0587.thumb.jpg.264eb4f8b40430b9c60e33d1df04010c.jpg

I like your mod's, but I'll have to take a look again later when I stop thinking about having an fz-07 in my garage, (which I have)!!! and a FREAKING LOTUS TOO. Is it a exige??

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fzar said:

I like your mod's, but I'll have to take a look again later when I stop thinking about having an fz-07 in my garage, (which I have)!!! and a FREAKING LOTUS TOO. Is it a exige??

Haha, thanks! It is an Elise, but the Exige used to be based on the same car but with a different body so they weren't too different early on. I think the FZ07 has a lot of the attributes of the Lotus - performance through light weight and finesse rather than brute force. People also don't see the tiny Lotus in traffic, so I already got some practice with oblivious people merging towards me. Plus, having small vehicles means that no one has to sleep in the driveway :) haha (daily driver is a Mini, and the wife drives a Sky Redline). 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, fzar said:

I went with the biggest Puig windscreen (Touring) since my commute has a good bit of 70+mph interstate,

Iv'e not seen a picture that shows the puig sitting so high, which I like, as I maybe doing some touring. I was deciding on what screen to get and I was sure the MRA double-bubble was the highest without going down the road of getting a madstad. I also want to relocate the instrument cluster, lower and more forward. 1 thing at a time, right now my venom rear and triple stands came in, I have woodcraft 1' risers to be shipped today, R6 throttle tube, and bodywork to be installed, so lots to do before I take on any more work.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, cyow5 said:

It is an Elise, but the Exige used to be based on the same car but with a different body so they weren't too different early on

What's the motor? Toyota?

1 minute ago, fzar said:

What's the motor? Toyota?

Yup, 189hp Toyota 2zz from the Celica GT-S and a few others. If I need anything from Auto Zone, I just tell them I need parts for a Celica and it usually works. There were supercharged options, too, getting up to 260hp. In a 1900lb car it won't set any records but it will hold its own pretty well and takes a beating. No car is going to be *just like* a bike, but I think Lotus is about the closest you can get. Well, aside from an Ariel Atom, but that's hardly even a car. 

• Like 1