The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

I rode to work and it looks like the PNW will be breaking into for the moment Spring Season III :)

20180419_091740.jpg

Capture+_2018-04-19-09-19-52.png

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Global Moderator
9 minutes ago, r1limited said:

I rode to work and it looks like the PNW will be breaking into for the moment Spring Season III :)

20180419_091740.jpg

Capture+_2018-04-19-09-19-52.png

You can thank me.  My bike is out of commission while I wait the return of my forks.  As soon as they arrive it will rain again.  

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, mjh937 said:

You can thank me.  My bike is out of commission while I wait the return of my forks.  As soon as they arrive it will rain again.  

I thought that only happened to me?  Its a freakin curse here

• Haha 1

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

1 hour ago, cyow5 said:

The Member Map shows you as near the GW Forest. If so, I am jealous! I love driving those roads but they make for a long day from out here near DC. And yeah, I have noticed the gritty asphalt there, too, so I can definitely see that being a factor

@cyow5 Yep, George Washington and Jefferson Forest is all around me. The main roads around here aren't too bad ( they're all I know, though), but the Blue Ridge Parkway does have extremely coarse pavement for sure. It's known for eating tires.  Pulled out my records to see what these tires are actually doing. 

Tread depth to wear bars.

New at 4066 miles:

Front- 4mm

Rear- 4.5mm

5173 miles: (1107 total)

Front-3mm

Rear- 2.5mm

5786 miles: (1720 total)

Front- 2.5mm

Rear- 1mm

8 hours ago, shinyribs said:

No burnouts or intentional tire spinning,  but one riding buddy does complain that only I throw gravel at him ( every bike I've owned), so I'm guessing it spins some. And yessir, hills and twisties are 80% of my riding, 10% city/10% highway. The 023's wore pretty even, but the Conti's just melted down the center. The sides still look great. Looks like I totally slabbed the center off the tire and never leaned the bike once :D Think I'll give a Pirelli Angel a try next go around. What exactly is the difference between the ST and the GT?

Rough roads and spinning the tire on gravel will definitely eat a tire up quick. Almost sounds like you need a long lasting touring tire more than anything. Something with a hard compound to fight the rough road.

Beemer

I live on a gravel road, but I don't spin tires on gravel roads. But apparently I do pick up an occasion loose gravel on the road and fling it at my buddies?

Honestly, I'm a bit apprehensive to run a touring tire. Not trying to pretend I'm Rossi, but I do know how I like to ride. Then again, maybe some of the longer wearing ST tires are better than I think. Think I'll try an Angel GT tire and go from there. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

I live on a gravel road, but I don't spin tires on gravel roads. But apparently I do pick up an occasion loose gravel on the road and fling it at my buddies?

Honestly, I'm a bit apprehensive to run a touring tire. Not trying to pretend I'm Rossi, but I do know how I like to ride. Then again, maybe some of the longer wearing ST tires are better than I think. Think I'll try an Angel GT tire and go from there. 

As long as you can afford to purchase new tires that often go for it.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, shinyribs said:

No burnouts or intentional tire spinning,  but one riding buddy does complain that only I throw gravel at him ( every bike I've owned), so I'm guessing it spins some. And yessir, hills and twisties are 80% of my riding, 10% city/10% highway. The 023's wore pretty even, but the Conti's just melted down the center. The sides still look great. Looks like I totally slabbed the center off the tire and never leaned the bike once :D Think I'll give a Pirelli Angel a try next go around. What exactly is the difference between the ST and the GT?

I just got the pirelli Angels ST mounted, 150 miles on them, some twistys/highway, 50/50, so far I'm happy. I maybe a little biased due to the PR3"s that came off it where 4 years old and toast. I don't know what the difference is between the ST and GT really, other than ST=Sport Touring, and GT= Grand Touring ,I'm almost positive its to do with the size and weight of your bike. hey @shinyribs

Just a heads-up,https://www.bikebandit.com/deals/pirelli-tire-rebates, just bought a set of Angel ST's for $230.79 and then there's the $50 rebate. $230.79 - $50= $180.79 bikebandit.com is running a clearance on the Angels, so I said I'd give them a try. Good reviews going around. Anyway that's just for pirelli's their doing a few rebate/clearance for different tyre manufacturers, No Michelin.  Free Shipping in the 48.

Heres a link to where I got mine and the rebate is in progress as we speak. That didn't work so I'll put it here..https://www.bikebandit.com/deals/pirelli-tire-rebates

Edited by fzar
  • Like 1

Dusted it down, fired it up and went out for a ride.  First since November due to bad winter weather. I was reminded: what a great bike!

• Like 1

Just do it! 

1 hour ago, fzar said:

I just got the pirelli Angels ST mounted, 150 miles on them, some twistys/highway, 50/50, so far I'm happy. I maybe a little biased due to the PR3"s that came off it where 4 years old and toast. I don't know what the difference is between the ST and GT really, other than ST=Sport Touring, and GT= Grand Touring ,I'm almost positive its to do with the size and weight of your bike. hey @shinyribs

Just a heads-up,https://www.bikebandit.com/deals/pirelli-tire-rebates, just bought a set of Angel ST's for $230.79 and then there's the $50 rebate. $230.79 - $50= $180.79 bikebandit.com is running a clearance on the Angels, so I said I'd give them a try. Good reviews going around. Anyway that's just for pirelli's their doing a few rebate/clearance for different tyre manufacturers, No Michelin.  Free Shipping in the 48.

Heres a link to where I got mine and the rebate is in progress as we speak. That didn't work so I'll put it here..https://www.bikebandit.com/deals/pirelli-tire-rebates

Thanks for the heads up on that deal. I dug around on the ST vs GT thing. Best I can tell, the ST was the first version of the tire and the GT is the second version that will eventually phase out the ST. They went to dual compound on the GT. Like you, I thought I heard somewhere that the GT was for heavy bikes, so I'm still not 100% sure either. 

13 hours ago, shinyribs said:

You're kinda between a rock and a hard place. You seem to need a harder compound that will stand up to the rough road surface and wear longer but yet you need a soft compound to grip well in the twisties. You may just have to buy good sticky tires more often but good luck finding a tire that does both well enough to keep you perpendicular to you nemesis, the road.

Beemer

• Global Moderator

I know the Michelin GT tires are for heavier bikes.  I do not know if it is the same for Pirelli.  

5 hours ago, mjh937 said:

I know the Michelin GT tires are for heavier bikes.  I do not know if it is the same for Pirelli.  

Looked in to the ST vs GT on the Pirelli Angels again. Yeah, the ST (sport touring) was the gen 1 tire and the GT is the updated dual compound version. The "A Spec" version of the GT is what they are recommending for heavier bikes. 

njdevils1990

Got my FZ up to 6,600 miles so far. Going to try to have 7,000 by tomorrow night (should easily be accomplished, today even) I've only had this bike since 1 November, 2017. I'm riding it about twice as often as I rode my 2015 FZ-07. Gotta put some money aside so I can drop it off for the 8,000 mile service in a little over a week.

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

glockpointer
On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:20 PM, bakamoto said:

threw a Power Commander on.  Its like a whole new bike!

Do tell...

Got in my 1st ride of the season. Winter was just never gonna quit here. This is the latest I can ever remember taking a 1st spring ride - by many weeks. Sheesh. 

Gotta love FI. When it works it just works. Bike fired up like it had been an hour ago - when it was actually November when I filled the tank, added some Stabil and put it to sleep for the winter. 

njdevils1990

Passed 7,000 miles since 2 November 2017.

20180422_214824_zpsk6dglxvl.jpg

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, glockpointer said:

Do tell...

Decided to give the PCFC a try and the bike seems to run a lot healthier. I don’t notice much power difference down low but up higher in the rpms it seems to have gained some.  It’s a nice controller. Pretty small too. Still have plenty of room for whatever I want to throw under the passenger seat.  Install was easy. As long as you already know how to remove the plastics and lift the tank it’s not bad.  I will say however, i still believe that an ecu flash or an ejk is a better choice but it was worth seeing what this was all about and until I decide to get a flash kit it’ll do the job.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, mt7fan said:

Waiting to get it back like a new from a crash.

Did you make it out ok?