The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

18 hours ago, tavisb said:

Tank bag

MVIMG_20180415_113504.jpg

IMG_20180415_121240.jpg

Do you have to unzip the tank bag every time you put gas in the tank???

Ha, I kid! I like that type of tank bag. It comes off quick and easy, not too big, not too small and looks nice enough. Hate to ask but could/would you get a pic of it from the side and level with it? I would like to see how big a gap there is between the bag and the tank and how it looks from that view. Thanks for any help!

Beemer

• Global Moderator
2 hours ago, Beemer said:

Do you have to unzip the tank bag every time you put gas in the tank???

Ha, I kid! I like that type of tank bag. It comes off quick and easy, not too big, not too small and looks nice enough. Hate to ask but could/would you get a pic of it from the side and level with it? I would like to see how big a gap there is between the bag and the tank and how it looks from that view. Thanks for any help!

You've got it. The fore/aft position is adjustable by a few inches during installation. I did it pretty much in the middle.

fzside.jpg

Edited by tavisb
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, tavisb said:

You've got it. The fore/aft position is adjustable by a few inches during installation. I did it pretty much in the middle.

fzside.jpg

Thanks, perfect, that's the one I was looking for!

Beemer

Switched out the old eBay windscreen for another eBay one!

I personally like this new Pare-brise style windscreen as I feel it matches the lines from the headlight more. The previous one was too sharp and had that odd gap in the very front.

IMG_20180417_152434.jpg

IMG_20180417_152451.jpg

IMG_20180417_152508.jpg

• Like 3

You do you and I'll do me.

• Premium Member

I ran out of gas for the first time in almost 10 years. Right on the freeway too.

Got off on a downhill exit, rolled for a while, as I was downhill for about 3 miles.

Started pushing, and actually pushed right by a cop in a speed trap, I got a weird look, I said "Hey I'm not speeding", his response "let me check (Looks at radar gun, nods head) "Nope, you are not speeding"

Finally parked it, walked a mile to the gas station, filled a Snapple bottle with .44 cents of petrol and sheleped back to the bike.

Pro tip, use a Snapple bottle or two for gas transport, way way cheaper than the $20 Jerry cans they sell at gas stations.

Comical..... but hey I got a nice morning walk in.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

'16 FZ07

Nothing, but the parts I ordered came in today and I plan on posting about it when I get it all installed, though this may take a while as I'm lazy.

3 hours ago, botticelli said:

I ran out of gas for the first time in almost 10 years. Right on the freeway too.

Got off on a downhill exit, rolled for a while, as I was downhill for about 3 miles.

Started pushing, and actually pushed right by a cop in a speed trap, I got a weird look, I said "Hey I'm not speeding", his response "let me check (Looks at radar gun, nods head) "Nope, you are not speeding"

Finally parked it, walked a mile to the gas station, filled a Snapple bottle with .44 cents of petrol and sheleped back to the bike.

Pro tip, use a Snapple bottle or two for gas transport, way way cheaper than the $20 Jerry cans they sell at gas stations.

Good advice! And glad the cop had a good sense of humor. 

7 hours ago, Duke said:

I personally like this new Pare-brise style windscreen as I feel it matches the lines from the headlight more. The previous one was too sharp and had that odd gap in the very front.

IMG_20180417_152434.jpg

IMG_20180417_152451.jpg

IMG_20180417_152508.jpg

I've been curious about these. Do you have any pictures from a distance? Side shots or head-on?

@shinyribs I won't have a chance to ride until the weekend but here are some pictures I pulled from the seller's listing that shows a further away shot.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, botticelli said:

Ha! Other than the walk it sounds like you met a cool cop also.  >  "Let me check."

• Like 2

Beemer

superfishal

I just took a test ride after installing the new chain and sprockets. I love that new chain feeling. PSA: Replace your chain guide when it's worn because I didn't and had to paint a few spots on the swing arm. Next on the agenda, buy some new rubber.

152408446936642546704.jpg

• Like 1

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, superfishal said:

I just took a test ride after installing the new chain and sprockets. I love that new chain feeling. PSA: Replace your chain guide when it's worn because I didn't and had to paint a few spots on the swing arm. Next on the agenda, buy some new rubber.

What sprockets & chain did you use? links?

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member

22 hours ago, mjh937 said:

I picked up my wheels with new Road 5's on them.  

Good for you, anything to report? I got my pirelli Angel ST's mounted and balanced today, 35 miles so nothing to report so far, although they do feel a lot better than the PR3's that were on there for 9,600 miles and (18/14) front (Week/year) and (20/14) rear almost exactly 4 years since date of manufacture. I did notice after I got home the the weights to balance the wheel were not close to the centre of the wheel, they look a little weird in the location they are in.?ui=2&ik=0e71baf69f&view=att&th=162daa39

Edited by fzar

• Premium Member

what the hell happened ^^^ oopps. That's the front wheel.

Edited by fzar

Found the traction limit of the Conti Motions today, at least out back. Happy to see that it stepped out very slowly and without drama, and came back under just as smoothly. Sadly, they're evaporating and I'm not sure I'll run another rear Conti Motion. Hoping I can make it to 2500 miles...

Just gonna stick my neck out and say I still don't think the rear tire is horribly oversized for a bike with these torque characteristics. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 4/17/2018 at 2:38 PM, Duke said:

Great looking little screen, fits the lines well, not over sized imo. I bought the same one and sprayed it flat black. 

• Like 1

Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.          Fuss Life.

• Global Moderator

@fzar, the tires are mounted and the rear wheel is on the bike.  I am still waiting for my front forks to come back from @pattonme.  Once they arrive and I get a chance to ride I will report on both the tires and the suspension.  It should be a fun riding season.  

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, shinyribs said:

Hoping I can make it to 2500 miles...

What are you doing that makes you hope you can make it to 2,500 miles, to me thats an extraordinarily short life span for a tyre, unless of course you just doing track. Curious to what's going on.

3 hours ago, fzar said:

What are you doing that makes you hope you can make it to 2,500 miles, to me thats an extraordinarily short life span for a tyre, unless of course you just doing track. Curious to what's going on.

I don't know if the roads in my area are extra coarse or if it's just my heavy right hand. I've never gotten over 2500 miles out of any rear other than the BT023's the bike came with. Those made it to 4k miles before they were wore slick. I had a Diablo Rosso that I killed in 1600 miles once lol. 

I think I'm just hard on rears. I usually go through 3 or 4 rears to 1 front tire. It gets pricey... :(

Edited by shinyribs

11 hours ago, shinyribs said:

I don't know if the roads in my area are extra coarse or if it's just my heavy right hand. I've never gotten over 2500 miles out of any rear other than the BT023's the bike came with. Those made it to 4k miles before they were wore slick. I had a Diablo Rosso that I killed in 1600 miles once lol. 

I think I'm just hard on rears. I usually go through 3 or 4 rears to 1 front tire. It gets pricey... :(

I'm curious, too. Do you spin your rear tires a lot off the line or maybe, as you said, just rough roads. You are kinda in the hills aren't you, with a lot of twisties?

Beemer

2 hours ago, Beemer said:

I'm curious, too. Do you spin your rear tires a lot off the line or maybe, as you said, just rough roads. You are kinda in the hills aren't you, with a lot of twisties?

No burnouts or intentional tire spinning,  but one riding buddy does complain that only I throw gravel at him ( every bike I've owned), so I'm guessing it spins some. And yessir, hills and twisties are 80% of my riding, 10% city/10% highway. The 023's wore pretty even, but the Conti's just melted down the center. The sides still look great. Looks like I totally slabbed the center off the tire and never leaned the bike once :D Think I'll give a Pirelli Angel a try next go around. What exactly is the difference between the ST and the GT?

35 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

No burnouts or intentional tire spinning,  but one riding buddy does complain that only I throw gravel at him ( every bike I've owned), so I'm guessing it spins some. And yessir, hills and twisties are 80% of my riding, 10% city/10% highway. The 023's wore pretty even, but the Conti's just melted down the center. The sides still look great. Looks like I totally slabbed the center off the tire and never leaned the bike once :D Think I'll give a Pirelli Angel a try next go around. What exactly is the difference between the ST and the GT?

The Member Map shows you as near the GW Forest. If so, I am jealous! I love driving those roads but they make for a long day from out here near DC. And yeah, I have noticed the gritty asphalt there, too, so I can definitely see that being a factor