The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

6 hours ago, Spanglo said:

Installed the Hordpower air box, 8 cell antigravity battery, and flashed ECU.

Looks nice...

Your thoughts after riding it?

10 hours ago, Spanglo said:

Installed the Hordpower air box, 8 cell antigravity battery, and flashed ECU.

Q-ItxNru1SQd0C6PTyOrdHKHBnYImBv-8o9X5ey1

How do you like it? It looks mean & nasty, like it's ready for a fight.

Beemer

12 hours ago, stickshift said:

Looks nice...

Your thoughts after riding it?

9 hours ago, Beemer said:

How do you like it? It looks mean & nasty, like it's ready for a fight.

Been working everyday so haven't gone on a proper ride and beaten the hell out of it yet.  Day off tomorrow, so planning on a ride, and will hammer it a bit.

Cruised it around for 15 mins yesterday, but did notice a few things.  First, the intake noise is substantial under hard throttle.  The intake sounds louder than the exhaust now at WOT.

A bit less engine brake under decel, the front end definitely feels lighter under hard acceleration, and the front wheel seemed to spend more time in the air in 3rd gear than before.  Pretty much the same bike below 7K rpm, but more aggressive past 7K. 

I didn't notice any change in throttle response... it's responsive, just like before.  

Today I installed OEM black side covers/ heel guards, a cheap chinese radiator guard, and customtaylor33 rim tape

MT3fdoVl.jpg

A6oB2Y6l.jpg

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Stripped  body plastics,removed gas tank, replaced spark plugs + new OEM air filter with rubber seal. Realized the tubing I had to get the plug started in the thread was not going to work,I resorted to any means possible and used a straw from wendy's ( I think). All in all it worked and this was my first time pulling the tank and spark-plugs. Fun afternoon for me. Fired right up before I installed the fuel tank completely. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
On 3/21/2018 at 10:27 PM, AlbatrossCafe said:

Was looking for old oil to use at my next change.This is what you are left with when you store your left over oil from the last 5 changes in an inconspicuous location and forget to reuse it:

4JPckP4.jpg

Mix them all together, Don't waste your hard earned money.

Lubricated the throttle cables and where the throttle tube contacts the handlebar and throttle case, and made a slight adjustment (one-quarter turn out) on the rear shock preload (it's a threaded adjuster).

It's getting closer.

• Premium Member
On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:06 AM, Grip it & Rip it said:

Please update on your mpg after you get your exhaust and flashed ecu on 

I manually checked a couple of random tanks and  and I'm getting 48-49MPG with Akra-Ti and 2WDW flash with snorkel removed using 87 octane regular gas. The riding was a mix of probably 70% 55+mph highway miles the other 30% would be stop and go city traffic. I'm driving normally... not trying to hypermile or anything, launching from a light whenever I'm lucky enough to be at the front of the line and highway speeds up to 85-90MPH.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

73.39 HP
51.39 Torque

For some reason I cannot scan the results so that will have to wait

great to meet the @2wheeldynoworks crew, busy shop, but not to busy to just have a chat.

I still want that XS650 Nels

Pic1.jpg

Pic2.jpg

Pic3.jpg

Pic4.jpg

FZ07-73-51.jpg

Edited by r1limited
  • Like 2

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

Installed the $50 Ebay "I don't know if I should buy this" cowl, and it fits great! Have to put a bit of force on top of the latch end to get it to close and release, other than that, nice and tight.

3.31.18.jpg

• Premium Member
On 3/27/2018 at 5:06 PM, DewMan said:

87 octane regular gas

Apparently this is not recommended by 2wdw, at least in my conversation with them. I'll find the post the put up here about recommended 91 octane-  across the board with a flash @DewMan

Edited by fzar

31 minutes ago, fzar said:

Apparently this is not recommended by 2wdw, at least in my conversation with them. I'll find the post the put up here about recommended 91 octane-  across the board with a flash @DewMan

Nels walked out and asked me what gas I burn.  I was like uh ok whats wrong, I said 92 pure gas.  I never run ethanol, if I cannot help it and only to get me to a pure gas station.  So the tune is a mixe so I am efficiant on the 92 pure (A little Rich up top) and will run normal with eth 92.  Had issue keeping the Air mix correct so he balanced for 73.3 HP

• Like 2

“Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.” --Thomas Jefferson quoting Cesare Beccaria

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, fzar said:

I appreciate the heads up. 👍

You are correct that they recommend 91 octane, though as I understand it I can use 87 octane without harm as long as I'm not getting any knocking or pinging. Not that I'm averse to spending the minor difference in price per tankful, I'm running 87 octane at this time more out of curiosity  than anything else just to see if I can without ill effects.

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Recommended fuel for my Subaru is 87, but in the summer it pings like crazy from a stop. 89 fixes that.

Even w/o a flash or a pipe, I won't put that 87 octane pee in my FZ - or my 20 year old lawn muncher for that matter. 

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, r1limited said:

Nels walked out and asked me what gas I burn.  I was like uh ok whats wrong, I said 92 pure gas.  I never run ethanol, if I cannot help it and only to get me to a pure gas station.  So the tune is a mixe so I am efficiant on the 92 pure (A little Rich up top) and will run normal with eth 92.  Had issue keeping the Air mix correct so he balanced for 73.3 HP

You have the benefit of having your bike in their shop, on a dyno-run.(Lucky you) I had told them I was running 87octane no-ethanol prior to the flash and told them I have access to 91 octane no-ethanol if that made a difference in the way the set-up the tune for me. I was told that it would be on the rich side if I went with the 91oct, no-ethanol, so just use 91oct with ethanol. Which to me makes sense as non-ethanol gas isn't available everywhere. Saying that I'm wondering would it be okay to put 91 oct, non ethanol gas for storage, I can't see a problem with doing that.

46 minutes ago, fzar said:

You have the benefit of having your bike in their shop, on a dyno-run.(Lucky you) I had told them I was running 87octane no-ethanol prior to the flash and told them I have access to 91 octane no-ethanol if that made a difference in the way the set-up the tune for me. I was told that it would be on the rich side if I went with the 91oct, no-ethanol, so just use 91oct with ethanol. Which to me makes sense as non-ethanol gas isn't available everywhere. Saying that I'm wondering would it be okay to put 91 oct, non ethanol gas for storage, I can't see a problem with doing that.

Thats what Nels stated as well, so we opted for a balance.  We agreed to allow a slight rich on top, while leaving some room as a Cover yer Ass(CYA) if I cannot find da Pure Stuff.  I am also convinced it is as well the state of tune I maintain, oil I use Amsoil Metric 10-40 and that be it as this shows I do have the Yosh with DB killer in.  This is stage 1 for the motor, Stage II motor I hope to hit 80, but that is a tear down project.  Next is frame and suspenders.  As you can see the HP Builds to 9 grand then body slams as the torque reaches its peak at 6.5  I would had like to seen a more upward climb to 7k but that is a discussion I will have with Nels once I get a good shake down on how it feels.

FZ07-73-51.jpg

Edited by r1limited
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, r1limited said:

Thats what Nels stated as well, so we opted for a balance.  We agreed to allow a slight rich on top, while leaving some room as a Cover yer Ass(CYA) if I cannot find da Pure Stuff.  I am also convinced it is as well the state of tune I maintain, oil I use Amsoil Metric 10-40 and that be it as this shows I do have the Yosh with DB killer in.  This is stage 1 for the motor, Stage II motor I hope to hit 80, but that is a tear down project.  Next is frame and suspenders.  As you can see the HP Builds to 9 grand then body slams as the torque reaches its peak at 6.5  I would had like to seen a more upward climb to 7k but that is a discussion I will have with Nels once I get a good shake down on how it feels.

FZ07-73-51.jpg

That's the first time I have seen the AFR being posted on a dyno run, pretty impressive numbers off the bat, How does the butt-dyno feel about the flash?

What does Amsoil metric 10-40 have to do with the dyno-run? More importantly to me anyway what are you doing for stage II on the motor and what road are you going down with the frame? and suspension?

I ask a lot of questions because I live vicariously through others updates and mods as I'm financially restricted to a point. That and she's pretty good off the floor, add the @2wheeldynoworks flash, to refine her. But you know!! the inevitable is coming, I'm not entirely sure I want to be in a chunk $$ on 1 bike, which in turn makes the option of owning another unrealistic.  

1 hour ago, fzar said:

That's the first time I have seen the AFR being posted on a dyno run, pretty impressive numbers off the bat, How does the butt-dyno feel about the flash?

What does Amsoil metric 10-40 have to do with the dyno-run? More importantly to me anyway what are you doing for stage II on the motor and what road are you going down with the frame? and suspension?

I ask a lot of questions because I live vicariously through others updates and mods as I'm financially restricted to a point. That and she's pretty good off the floor, add the @2wheeldynoworks flash, to refine her. But you know!! the inevitable is coming, I'm not entirely sure I want to be in a chunk $$ on 1 bike, which in turn makes the option of owning another unrealistic.  

I di dnot do a full shake down run, I can however state in some areas it is night and day as example the brutal engine braking is gone with a more mild and expected for a 700 twin with stock guts IMO.  Acceleration is very linear now as power builds nicly.  In Basics the motor is still the same no OH MY GAD changes albeit that through the entire range it is smooth, it is predictable and no suddent hit of uncrotrolled kaos like the R1 at 10.5K does.  The FZ now grunts short shifting to a point ... well best explained like... Well I cant explain with out getting really, really dirty

With regards to oil

Oil has a lot to do with the performance of a motor.  Shear, Heat dispitation, lubrication, viscosity all a part of a well engineered oil can and will allow a motor to maintain a proper running temp, keeping components well lubricated as well as cooled. I personally believe through my experiance Amsoil is the best around

Edited by r1limited
  • Like 1

On 3/31/2018 at 6:55 PM, artwood said:

Installed the $50 Ebay "I don't know if I should buy this" cowl, and it fits great! Have to put a bit of force on top of the latch end to get it to close and release, other than that, nice and tight.

3.31.18.jpg

Nice pic! That looks like an authentic Ma & Pa store! I went to one the other day, the food and prices can't be beat.

• Like 1

Beemer

• Premium Member
bornagainbiker

Cleaned and lubed the chain.  Adjusted the tire pressure.  Changed the oil and filter, and then took it out for the first ride of the season--Woot.

• Like 1

Give Respect To Get Respect   https://jeff-galbraith.pixels.com/

AlbatrossCafe
On 3/25/2018 at 4:11 PM, fzar said:

Mix them all together, Don't waste your hard earned money.

Can you mix oil of the same weight?

I have 2 full-synth oil containers that have about 50% left in each and are both 10w-40. I wonder if I can mix both brands together.