The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

What did I do to my FZ-07 today?  Gave it its first ride on a tow truck.  Well it was a ramp truck.  What is the average life of a battery anyway?  I've had my bike almost 3 years.  Been riding though the winter.  Got heated grips a few months ago.  I'm guessing I haven't been riding enough to charge the battery fully.  My wife drove out with my charger and we let it go for an hour but nothing so I made the call.  Didn't want to leave it overnight.

Grip it & Rip it
8 hours ago, DewMan said:

I pulled the factory exhaust and snorkel in preparation for the arrival of my flashed ECU from @2wheeldynoworks and my Akra-Ti exhaust from @bellissimoto. Both of #which are scheduled for arrival at my door tomorrow. 😍

My ECU arrived at 2WDW this past Saturday and they had it back in the mail to me by Monday even though they "were short a guy". I couldn't ask for faster service than that. Bellissimoto had the Akra-Ti headed my way within 48 hours of my order which was more than acceptable. 👍

P.S. It did not require removal of the SW-Motech centerstand to remove the one piece OEM exhaust/header, though it was a little like working a wire linking puzzle to unravel it from the bike with the centerstand installed after getting the exhaust unbolted.

EDIT: I also unbranded the SHAD hard cases that I installed last week by using 91% rubbing alcohol on a melamine sponge (generic Mr. Clean Magic eraser) to remove the silk screened name off of the screwed on ABS plastic badge. It also removed what I consider the out of place looking high gloss finish from the badge that's screwed onto each case as well, as I knew it would. Each now has more of a flat brushed finish as I expected using the melamine sponge.

Please update on your mpg after you get your exhaust and flashed ecu on 

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, shinyribs said:

rkOD7K3.jpg

That's a $13 eBay special helmet lock taking the place of the master cylinder bar clamp. Works like a champ. 

Could you throw up a link for the helmet lock, Please.

35 minutes ago, fzar said:

Could you throw up a link for the helmet lock, Please.

Sure thing. I imagine it's the exact same part as in timjh's link, but here's the ad/vendor I bought it from. One dollar cheaper here. I can promise they don't come with the big SAVAGE sticker stuck on the side. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Accessories-Helmet-Lock-For-Yamaha-MT-09-MT-07-MT-03-MT-25-MT-01-MT10/272489711059?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=571535414144&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I've had very good luck with this eBay vendor ( vagrant-us). I bought several things from them and their communication is always great. I'm amazed how eager they are to answer the simplest questions like, "will the SAVAGE sticker come off the lock" lol.They really put in the effort. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Burley said:

What did I do to my FZ-07 today?  Gave it its first ride on a tow truck.  Well it was a ramp truck.  What is the average life of a battery anyway?  I've had my bike almost 3 years.  Been riding though the winter.  Got heated grips a few months ago.  I'm guessing I haven't been riding enough to charge the battery fully.  My wife drove out with my charger and we let it go for an hour but nothing so I made the call.  Didn't want to leave it overnight.

Three years isn't a bad life for a battery. I've seen many batteries last 5 or 6 years if ridden regularly, but three years on a battery that doesn't see daily use ( or at least a few times per week) is not bad IMO. 

• Premium Member

Installed Akra-Ti and bolted it all back together after re-installing the 2WDW flashed ECU.

I've only taken a short shake down ride around the neighborhood to confirm  functionality. I'm happy with the exhaust so far. No more sewing machine sound and a lot more growl with the new pipe. I also appreciate that it's not annoyingly loud and won't require earplugs to ride with the DB Killer installed.

Since I haven't had a chance to really open it up yet the only thing I've noticed, at speeds up to about 40pmh, is a much smoother and easier revving throttle response and the removal of almost all the engine braking. All good things. I'm very happy with the everyday manners so far.

You've all seen an Akra-Ti before but here's a picture showing off the new pipe and the debadging of the SHAD hard cases.

side_exhaust.thumb.jpg.b682d325b7a70edad70e3759d5b3ee8b.jpg

• Like 3

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

njdevils1990

Got my FZ-07 back from the dealer 2 days ago for the 4,000 mile service and to repair some damage from a wreck in January and have a seat fastener bolt replaced and threads honed. Didn't ride much as we just got 12" of snow, the roads are all clear now so I'm getting ready to take a trip down to Daytona, FL this weekend with my dad on our bikes (my '17 FZ-07 and his '11 H-D Ultra Classic) We're riding down in 1 day (~17 hours each way) and seeing the motocross race Saturday then coming back in 1 day. I'll end up having to do the 8,000 mile service next month or in May haha.

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

Bigturbomax

I bought luggage locks!!! Sometimes its the small things lol. I know they wouldnt be hard to cut, but at least people wont be tempted to just unzip the bag and look inside. Also, i can actually use my helmet lock now too. Set of 4 locks, keyed alike at the hardware store for 12 bucks. Added bonus=the key is tiny so my bike key ring still has a small footprint :)

20180308_174306-567x1008.jpg

20180308_174303-567x1008.jpg

Bigturbomax

Oh yeah, i gave it a DEEP clean too. It looked like a dirt bike after some of the late january weather we had here. Am i the only that just stands there and stares at there bike for a bit before they go into a resturaunt to eat?? LMAO

20180308_114439-1008x567.jpg

I have the exact same, key'ed alike locks on my SW Mo bags. And to deter someone from trying to remove the bags when i park the bike, I run a small steel cable thru the wheel and between the locks. The cable coils up and fits easily in one of the outer bag pockets. 

• Thanks 1

Bigturbomax
54 minutes ago, rick said:

I have the exact same, key'ed alike locks on my SW Mo bags. And to deter someone from trying to remove the bags when i park the bike, I run a small steel cable thru the wheel and between the locks. The cable coils up and fits easily in one of the outer bag pockets. 

Oh dude! Great idea! Im gonna do that. Thanks for sharing

New DPM windscreen arrived today.  Installed it along with the new Smoto side radiator guards I got last week.  Finished the install in the dark or would've taken some pics.

This weekend I plan to paint the side frame panels and heel guards flat black.  

Still waiting on the Hordpower airbox that's out of stock.

Here's the before pic with the stock radiator guards and old windscreen:

hzTfz7szm9GOxzyEDmnO0mB_6p2H9S8-0nWypqTJ

• Like 2

njdevils1990
14 hours ago, njdevils1990 said:

Got my FZ-07 back from the dealer 2 days ago for the 4,000 mile service and to repair some damage from a wreck in January and have a seat fastener bolt replaced and threads honed. Didn't ride much as we just got 12" of snow, the roads are all clear now so I'm getting ready to take a trip down to Daytona, FL this weekend with my dad on our bikes (my '17 FZ-07 and his '11 H-D Ultra Classic) We're riding down in 1 day (~17 hours each way) and seeing the motocross race Saturday then coming back in 1 day. I'll end up having to do the 8,000 mile service next month or in May haha.

So plans for Florida fell through. Going to spend the weekend riding around NJ, PA, DE & maybe NY.

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

19 hours ago, Spanglo said:

New DPM windscreen arrived today.  Installed it along with the new Smoto side radiator guards I got last week.  Finished the install in the dark or would've taken some pics.

Beautiful bike!

I never seem to get tired of them...

On 3/9/2018 at 12:03 AM, Spanglo said:

That's a fantastic shot! I wish I could ride low bars like that, because they really look great and tie all the lines together. beautiful, clean bike there, man. 

BTW, where'dyou get those YAMAHA wheel decals? That's a really nice look. 

26 minutes ago, shinyribs said:

That's a fantastic shot! I wish I could ride low bars like that, because they really look great and tie all the lines together. beautiful, clean bike there, man. 

BTW, where'dyou get those YAMAHA wheel decals? That's a really nice look. 

Thanks. 

Bought the bike with those decals on it, so unfortunately I don't know where to get 'em - sorry.

phanomenal07
On 3/9/2018 at 12:03 AM, Spanglo said:

How did you get the bars that low? I have renthal ultra lows and yours look to be about 3 inches lower then mines.

1 hour ago, phanomenal07 said:

How did you get the bars that low? I have renthal ultra lows and yours look to be about 3 inches lower then mines.

ZLA Drag bars.

• Premium Member

The FZ-07 should be canonized into Motorcycle History... I love my FJ-09(its my go to bike) but there is just something about the little ole FZ-07 that ticks the vast majority of right boxes...

1. upgrade suspension( middle priced suspension package will suffice for majority of uses) this one of the first mods that should be done

2. ECU flash from vendor- can always reflash for free in future if aftermarket exhaust is added or run a PCV 

3. kick step 2 to the curb and install a Hordpower Airbox, Yoshi Exhaust w/ECU flash or PCV to really let the little ole -07 motor do its thing by raising the grins per kilomile 😛

windscreen , R6 throttle tube, tail tidy, seat, saddle bags, top boxes, tires, etc are personal customized preferences

• Like 1

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW

Was able to paint the heel guards and side covers today.  A few pics with the new windscreen and sided radiator covers:

WHfoQ5bO-1Pf-qHV-fUJ9ah3vgDvzjQQAzfoe8YH

EEjEb0_MucxvbNYjgC9HRXHyTzJbIqI1neGMGB7G

• Like 1

I am sure the bike looks more purposeful with black side frame covers. I shall think about doing that. The 2018 has this. And I have always liked the DPM screen more than others.

Just do it! 

7 hours ago, robbo10 said:

I am sure the bike looks more purposeful with black side frame covers. I shall think about doing that. The 2018 has this. And I have always liked the DPM screen more than others.

Yes, the black sides are a great mod, and one of the least expensive too.  I also painted the back of the mini denali horn, and thinking about doing the radiator next.  Perhaps a different radiator guard that blacks out more area than the one on the bike.

1vDLao09hHLqlXIEyEVnOiIOD7ASdmlx7ypMwBvK

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, Spanglo said:

Yes, the black sides are a great mod, and one of the least expensive too.  I also painted the back of the mini denali horn, and thinking about doing the radiator next.  Perhaps a different radiator guard that blacks out more area than the one on the bike.

I wanted a more full coverage for my grill as well since I wasn't a fan of the bare aluminum look and decided on the EVOTech grill which covers the entire front of the radiator not just the fins.

You can see pictures and details on my thread here.

Good luck finding a solution you like. ✌️

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.