The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

@Beemer,

https://www.pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html

I looked up my area, and there are some near me. There are no gas stations near me per-se but it looks like there are some power equipment stores that sell  bottled ethanol free gas. Wondering how expensive it will be.

Re: using rubbing alcohol, I honestly think that might make it worse as the alcohol is what I'm trying to avoid, as it is my understanding this is what breaks down the bottle.

Good call on possible contamination with the using fuel from the bottle getting into my actual gas tank.

Maybe my best bet is to bite the bullet and buy some alcohol free gas, or find a different (not metal) bottle to store regular fuel in.

6 minutes ago, evoxv said:

@Beemer,

https://www.pure-gas.org/extensions/map.html

I looked up my area, and there are some near me. There are no gas stations near me per-se but it looks like there are some power equipment stores that sell  bottled ethanol free gas. Wondering how expensive it will be.

Re: using rubbing alcohol, I honestly think that might make it worse as the alcohol is what I'm trying to avoid, as it is my understanding this is what breaks down the bottle.

Good call on possible contamination with the using fuel from the bottle getting into my actual gas tank.

Maybe my best bet is to bite the bullet and buy some alcohol free gas, or find a different (not metal) bottle to store regular fuel in.

I was imagining a small amount of gasoline being left in the bottle and capped so that it didn't evaporate and enabling the gasoline to eat away at the metal. On the other hand, if left open to evaporate it should do that without needed to rinse it according to this:

"For disinfecting surfaces, ethanol and isopropyl alcohol are nearly equally efficient. Ethanol may be used in purely surface-cleaning applications, but isopropyl alcohol can also double as antiseptic and is often used in hospitals. Both are most effective at 70 percent concentration and can be used to clean small tools if they are immersed for about 10 minutes. Both evaporate quickly, without leaving a residue, and are effective for cleaning optic drives and computer components."  -  https://www.hunker.com/12000188/ethanol-vs-isopropyl-alcohol-to-disinfect

I could be wrong, I'm no expert but I also wonder if you did put ethanol gs in that bottle, how long does it take before it actually eats the metal??? One hour, 12 hrs, 24 hrs, a week, a month??? A person might want to know that as well before using it for long trips as well.

Beemer

Finally rode the bike again! Spring was here in Virginia briefly, but sub-freezing temps are still in the forecast off and on for the next month...

2 hours ago, cyow5 said:

Finally rode the bike again! Spring was here in Virginia briefly, but sub-freezing temps are still in the forecast off and on for the next month...

I've driven through parts of West Virginia in the mounts in a car and I really wish I could do it on the FZ-07. Big hills to test the torque on while going up and the turns at the bottoms of those hills to test your brakes. Then there's the beauty of West Virginia.

Beemer

• Global Moderator

I just installed my Nitron shock, so of course it is snowing.  The manual says 32 ft-lbs on the front bolt and 29 on the back.  That did not seem like much.  Does it sound right to guys?

• Like 1

On 2/22/2018 at 8:30 AM, cyow5 said:

You aren't the guy on the red 07 I keep seeing around Maintain Pass road, are you? lol. Yeah, the weather's been great here recently. I've already shelved my winter riding gear...for good, I hope. Broke out the perforated leather today. 

1 hour ago, mjh937 said:

I just installed my Nitron shock, so of course it is snowing.  The manual says 32 ft-lbs on the front bolt and 29 on the back.  That did not seem like much.  Does it sound right to guys?

Those bolts don't need a lot of torque. You wouldn't want to stretch those fasteners to keep them tight. But I believe they have locking nuts on them? If not, a little thread locker will do the trick.

1 hour ago, shinyribs said:

You aren't the guy on the red 07 I keep seeing around Maintain Pass road, are you? lol. Yeah, the weather's been great here recently. I've already shelved my winter riding gear...for good, I hope. Broke out the perforated leather today. 

Nope, I’m closer to DC and have a silver one. I’ve not been riding too much since I’m just fair weather while I get accustomed to it 

On 2/20/2018 at 12:13 PM, Beemer said:

I could be wrong, I'm no expert but I also wonder if you did put ethanol gs in that bottle, how long does it take before it actually eats the metal??? One hour, 12 hrs, 24 hrs, a week, a month??? A person might want to know that as well before using it for long trips as well.

Just so you're clear...ethanol doesn't eat metal...ethanol is hygroscopic...means it likes water.  Water vapor bonds to ethanol and at some point can cause phase separation in the gas ...leaving globules of water containing too in the tank...this corrodes metal.  Ethanol degrades rubber o-rings, not viton o-rings...so most older carbs and fuel systems seals and floats degrade with ethanol gas.  To minimize water in a tank, add 

Sta-bil or another fuel stabilizer to gas before storage.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zupatun said:

Just so you're clear...ethanol doesn't eat metal...ethanol is hygroscopic...means it likes water.  Water vapor bonds to ethanol and at some point can cause phase separation in the gas ...leaving globules of water containing too in the tank...this corrodes metal.  Ethanol degrades rubber o-rings, not viton o-rings...so most older carbs and fuel systems seals and floats degrade with ethanol gas.  To minimize water in a tank, add 

Sta-bil or another fuel stabilizer to gas before storage.

So you agree, ethanol gas can cause corrosion in metal. 🤓

Beemer

1 hour ago, Beemer said:

So you agree, ethanol gas can cause corrosion in metal. 1f913.png

Ethanol gas can, yes, if it grabs water ftom the air.  Fill the tank full, and chances of corrosion are very small, add stabilizer and corrosion due to water are very low.  Fill a tank completell with Ethanol and it won't eat the tank...uN less it has a source of water vapor (air).  

Runner and rubber o-rings are also vulnerable, unless they are Vito or similar.

2 hours ago, Zupatun said:

Ethanol gas can, yes, if it grabs water ftom the air.  Fill the tank full, and chances of corrosion are very small, add stabilizer and corrosion due to water are very low.  Fill a tank completell with Ethanol and it won't eat the tank...uN less it has a source of water vapor (air).  

Runner and rubber o-rings are also vulnerable, unless they are Vito or similar.

I see what I did there, (losing my mind) I worded it wrong. It's not the gasoline that eats the metal/causes rust, it's the absence of it and the presence of moisture in a metal tank that does but ethanol does attract moisture more than non ethanol gasoline which brings me back to saying you (evoxv) probably should use all the gasoline you put in a fuel bottle, not let any gasoline sit in it for too long and maybe best to just empty it and dry it out.

Beemer

I've ordered some running lights for my bike. I got them from BikeVis. They are the tiny, DRL bullets that they offer. I ordered the whites with pod modulator so that they glint for the front. Amber for better side visibility and a couple reds for the rear. I just bought a TST light for the rear and it's plenty bright enough but it's just my opinion that under the right circumstances one tail light doesn't always get attention very well.

https://www.bikevis.com/product/bikevis-bullets-v2-motorcycle-running-lights/

Beemer

Bigger problem with the ethanol is that it's not likely they've completely "dried" all of the water out after it's distilled. The distillation of the mash (far better consumed orally than burned in a motor, of course) produces an azeotrope of 5% water. It's expensive to make the ethanol 100% pure, so it's a good bet our E10 is already 0.5% water - right from the pump - assuming the guy mixing the stuff at the tanker stage doesn't cheat.

I've become a fan of Stabil. My bikes sit in a cold garage all winter - 3 months. I'll fill the tanks with fresh fuel, add some stabilizer and have not had any problems - even with the nylon tank on my Aprilia. . 

• Like 1

Since the rear shock is at the Ohlins service shop for a refresh, I removed the rear wheel, swingarm, and shock linkage for the annual lubrication.

• Like 1

Ordered a few items tonight...

Hordpower Airbox + Flash

Antigravity 8-cell battery

Smoto side radiator guard

The airbox and flash will go well with the Yoshi exhuast.

The battery will save about 5lbs.

smoto.jpg

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I installed SHAD SH36 side cases and ordered an Akra-Ti from @bellissimoto and a flash from @2wheeldynoworks  before it went off of sale price.

Along with the existing Corbin saddle and the Bitubo front & rear suspension upgrades, I should have a decent sport-touring setup by the time I'm done.

Clutch.thumb.jpg.832f0956a5c93af1a1151cdc9910b0a5.jpg

Edited by DewMan
add pix
  • Like 3

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, DewMan said:

I installed SHAD SH36 side cases and ordered an Akra-Ti from @bellissimoto and a flash from @2wheeldynoworks  before it went off of sale price.

Along with the existing Corbin saddle and the Bitubo front & rear suspension upgrades, I should have a decent sport-touring setup by the time I'm done.

Wow, thats quite a bit of mods been done, enjoy..

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Spanglo said:

The Hordpower Airbox is on backorder :(

Its worth the wait. :-)

New tires, chain, & sprockets last week, so I could scrub-in my Pilot Road 4s with Pacific Track Time at Sonoma Raceway! :-)

i-fsZzJWH-X2.jpg

i-Bc8MQtN-X2.jpg

i-54XHPqf-X2.jpg

i-S5JLXnw-X2.jpg

i-gnQTH35-X2.jpg

Saturday was cold, but Sunday warmed up just enough to get Tire-BOOGERS(tm)! ;-)

LOL!!!

Catfish ...

Edited by catfish
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, DewMan said:

Clutch.thumb.jpg.832f0956a5c93af1a1151cdc9910b0a5.jpg

Congrats on your purchase! One has to wonder though, how much moon shine or Mountain Dew can those cases hold?

Beemer

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Beemer said:

Congrats on your purchase! One has to wonder though, how much moon shine or Mountain Dew can those cases hold?

Thanks @beemer. Well since each one will swallow up an XXL helmet, I'm thinking an easy 12 pack and ice in each side, with room to spare. 😁

Edited by DewMan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.