The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

my tank was looking kinda grimey so i scuffed up the paint with a scotch pad and it gave it a sorta brushed aluminium look

20220128_155523.jpg

20220128_155403.jpg

Edited by 00RAH
  • Like 3

Removed tail-tidy and fitted the standard unit again.

Along with a visit to Yamaha dealer and getting the first service done

The big boys version of mine... If this had been available when I got the MT07, i'd have been VERY tempted....

51847881169_17f7893797_z.jpg2022-01-28_10-04-22 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

The next bike for [mention]Welsh Muffin[/mention] 
51847560811_87c45623dc_z.jpg2022-01-28_10-04-17 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

????

Got home and ripped the tail tidy off.... well, i say the tail tidy, you rip the whole sodding back end of the bike apart. But that's only when it starts getting interesting. I'm sure they employ a family of squid or octopus to put the back end together. 2 arms, 2 brackets, 3 wires and 4 bolts with spacers.. Errrrrm really ? How many arms do i want !!!! Once you've got that you've then got about a dozen pieces of plastic to sort too... 

It took about half a lifetime and all of my patience... but it's back to standard. It's not coming apart EVER again that's for sure lol.

Last job was a decent clean of all the muck from the road, but again, not a massive deal/issue.

• Like 1

bit of a rant   -   spent the day trying to appease the stupid govt agencies to get my safety check.  Ended up failing, will try a local motorcyle shop tomorrow.  Hopefully they will give a blind eye to my small penny sized rear flashers, since they are blindingly bright.  couldn't get past the normal safety check places with them.  researched the motorcycle safety inspection sheet and couldn't find anything on size, so perhaps the place I went to today was mis-informed?  fingers crossed for tomorrow...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Zephyr said:

researched the motorcycle safety inspection sheet and couldn't find anything on size...

The problem may be lack of DOT approval, rather than actual visibility.  I've seen federal regulations that specify the size of the lens and the minimum distance it has to be from center, hence the large lights and the stalks that manufacturers have to use to mount them.

Edited by Triple Jim
  • Thanks 1

Took my buddy on his fist ride through the twisties to the lake on his Mt 03.

It’s been a while since I’ve actually slowed down on that ride and just enjoyed my surroundings. It was nice.

7CEDDD2D-B8EF-43FB-B8A3-5C3484DE2F6F.jpeg

• Like 3

Finished valve adjusment after waiting for shims for a month. One of the intake valve was out of spec at 0.10 mm and all the exhaust valves were very tight between 0.15 and 0.20 mm which should be at least 0.24 mm. Won't wait another 40000 km. I think the first valve adjustment should be made at around 20000 km.

I never ride without ear plugs but this time rode the bike a few kms after adjustment without helmet to hear any strange noise. The cam chain noise is super annoying. The best solution is for it is ear plugs i guess. It also protects your ear as a byproduct.

State of the cams after ~39000 km. No pitting or marks.IMG_20211231_230826.thumb.jpg.33358255eab77e78ff03a1b44fce9bea.jpg

IMG_20220120_191021.jpg

IMG_20220107_013316.jpg

IMG_20220107_003323.jpg

IMG_20220106_233931.jpg

• Like 4

I posted a photo of the windscreen I put on. And it looked terrible in the photos so here it goes again 

2D884093-1BD9-4059-B22B-A1B3DCB76583.jpeg

Edited by PMT-07
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PMT-07 said:

I posted a photo of the windscreen I put on. And it looked terrible in the photos so here it goes again 

2D884093-1BD9-4059-B22B-A1B3DCB76583.jpeg

I know there are some other reviews out there, but how do you like the seat? Yamaha Comfort, right?

17 minutes ago, ducarmont said:

I know there are some other reviews out there, but how do you like the seat? Yamaha Comfort, right?

Honestly, I rode it 100 miles total so far before season ended. I can give better feedback in the new riding session 

• Like 1

Took my seat to the upholstery shop to add an inch of better foam. $175 Canadian.

RpL3baH.jpeg

Also got some new Michelin Road 5 tires. I was able to squeeze 27,000km out of my Road Pilots 3s. Let's hope these do the same.

NhZDAlK.jpeg

• Like 2

Fitted the Yamaha higher seat. Feels quite different, ore so than you'd expect from looking at it.

Capture.jpg

• Like 1

Was out today and caught a puddle or two. Meh.

Got home and cleaning the bike and wanted to get swingarm area done so whipped out the wheel.

Not only was it horrifically dirty but DAMN the wheel is a bloody nightmare to get back in. Bloody chain adjusters all over the place, impossible to fit caliper bracket. 

Not hard, but ewwwww

51887693439_b354413d33_5k.jpg2022-02-17_04-31-22 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

• Like 1

I had some rusty screws from my old 80s 2-stroke and also some parts from the MT-07. So I bathed them in citric acid and gave them some chemical bluing.

pxl_20220219_16370730v7j6s.jpg

• Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 6:24 AM, Taipan said:

Fitted the Yamaha higher seat. Feels quite different, ore so than you'd expect from looking at it.

Capture.jpg

do you mean current gen. seat? does it fit the 1st gen. bike? ps. exhaust stay arrived today, i reverted back to stock exhaust from akra carbon. 

Just now, 00RAH said:

do you mean current gen. seat? does it fit the 1st gen. bike? ps. exhaust stay arrived today, i reverted back to stock exhaust from akra carbon. 

Mines a 2019. I bought the seat secondhand so, sorry, but I dont know what other models it fits?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can't believe this has taken me a month to do...SMH.  Installed factory female clip to the rear wiring and male clip to the aftermarket rear flashers so that they are "plug and play".  Installed factory rear flashers so that I can pass safety check.  Didn't like having wires exposed under the tail section to water and debris from the tires, so fabricated a panel to "seal" the under tail section.  Should keep the wiring weatherproofed while allowing easy access to change between the factory and aftermarket flashers.

Also ordered and installed the Fobo Bike 2 TPMS stem caps.  I'll be doing a bit more daily riding soon and want to check the tire pressures at a glance before riding out early in the morning.  The app doesn't impress me "out of the box", but becoming a bit more familiar with use should warm me up to it.

Gratuitous pic of the panel for the under tail:

20220303_142155.thumb.jpg.f25f221bfb3aeb2e26252f83ecb207c7.jpg

Edited by Zephyr
  • Like 1

Got my safety check and registration back in good standing!  Swapped back to the aftermarket flashers and decided to try the Odi Rouge Dual Ply grips per this thread recommendation:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009CQQN3Q?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

I drilled out the ends with a 3/4" paddle bit and they slipped on pretty well.  By not having cut the end caps off, they cover the full length of the bar & throttle tube versus having unsightly gaps.  I also get the keep my bar end weights installed.  First impressions are good.  I think they may be a touch thicker than my previous grips, though can't say for sure as the grips needed to be replaced, so it could just be the difference between old vs new.

Edited by Zephyr

bartman5impson

Gave my fluo wheels with baked-on brake dust a MUCH needed cleaning

1.jpg

Edited by bartman5impson
  • Like 2

On 3/22/2022 at 10:43 PM, bartman5impson said:

Gave my fluo wheels with baked-on brake dust a MUCH needed cleaning

1.jpg

What are you using to clean?  I've been using wd-40 and elbow grease, though it doesn't get them 100%.

bartman5impson
Just now, Zephyr said:

What are you using to clean?  I've been using wd-40 and elbow grease, though it doesn't get them 100%.

I had a can of this foaming multi purpose cleaner lying around and I tried it on the wheels and it worked better than anything I've tried. The rear wheel required almost no scrubbing even though it was coated in chain lube and dirt. The front was also easy to clean but took longer because the crevices around the spokes are hard to get to. I've always put off cleaning the wheels because it has taken me what feels like hours of scrubbing and even then they didn't end up looking new, just less dirty. With this stuff it took minutes and they are the cleanest they've been in years. The can doesn't mention wheels but it says it's safe for chrome and "painted surfaces" so I did a spot check and didn't see any paint being stripped.

71Pwa3q61GL._AC_SY879_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1