The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

Did you watch a youtube video? Any issues? Would you recommend this for commuting? I'm always looking for relatively cheap and easyish ways to improve the bike. So easy to work on!

3 hours ago, RacerXSD said:

Did you watch a youtube video? Any issues? Would you recommend this for commuting? I'm always looking for relatively cheap and easyish ways to improve the bike. So easy to work on!

Yep I can tell the front end has less dive and handles bumps a lot better than stock. I didn’t do new springs either since most recommended 0.90 springs for my weight and stock are 0.88 anyway. Anything further I do to the front would likely be emulators or cartridges. Springs alone probably not worth it. 

Really easy if you have a headstand. I personally don’t and used two Jack stands on top of cinder blocks, and put them under my frame sliders. Worked like a charm. I used a front stand to lift the bike and then placed the Jack stands and lowered onto them. 

For the oil I used a 1000ml graduated cylinder that I got off of Amazon for $15. I had 360ml when I dumped, which is not enough. I used 405ml when I put back in. Felt like science class again lol.

For the spacers I didn’t cut the stock ones, I got 1 inch diameter sch80 pvc and cut to 140mm with a ratcheted PVC cutter. You can ask the people at Lowe’s to do it for you even, just bring a tape measure to mark it for them. The benefit here is you can go back to stock if needed or cut more lengths to experiment. 

All in all it took an hour, and if I did it again probably 30-40 minutes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LivingADream13 said:

@ejj75 That seat looks like heaven for your ass.

I hope so :) I bought gel seat for touring trip. I’m going to do a couple of thousand kilometres touring trip next summer. Last time it was painful and some extra stopped was needed.

4 hours ago, ejj75 said:

I hope so :) I bought gel seat for touring trip. I’m going to do a couple of thousand kilometres touring trip next summer. Last time it was painful and some extra stopped was needed.

What kind of seat is that, and how do you like it?

9 hours ago, JeffroTull said:

What kind of seat is that, and how do you like it?

I ordered from Top Sellerie and just installed. I do not have any driving experience yet, because too much snow. 

I have "full seat" and I keep my original seat also.

Gel : front seat and rear seat.

I can feel gel pattern middle of seat and gel part feels comfortable. Sides are harder foam, but I don't know how it works when ride. I am able to test it after two months because roads are in ice :(

Edited by ejj75
  • Like 1

Looks like they are showcasing your bike on the page! Man I love the way that looks, but I’m sure shipping to the States would cost a fortune if they even offered it.

• Like 1

I change the stock bars with a renthal ultra low, 30 mm longer and a bit forward, feels way better than stock, and change the tire with Pirelli rosso 3 

Inspired by Ripinpepz I ordered a K-Tech Lite shock and replaced fork oil with 15W.  I weigh 175lbs with standard clothes, not gear - got the 160-190lb shock.  I didn't adjust anything on the shock before installing.  Super easy to install, did it without help and took 30 minutes.  I propped the bike up on 2 pieces of wood, used the kickstand to pivot it up.  Only thing I broke was a retaining clip holding the rear fender into the swingarm.  Its secure enough with 2 bolts on one side and a single retaining clip on the other, but I've got a replacement arriving tomorrow.  I watched a few videos on youtube first to get comfortable.  Fork oil took longer, probably an hour.  More stuff to take off and reinstall.  I put in more than recommended, about 430ml, cause I remembered what Ripinpepz wrote wrong.  Seems fine so far on a quick ride up and down the street.

**Rode it on my normal work route today - about 20 miles each way, mostly freeway with 3 freeway changes and some curves.  Much less vibration on the freeway.  Feels more secure on the road in general.  Less sharp bounces.  Less front fork movement on downshifting and braking.  Seat feels more firm, slightly less comfortable - but I expect I'll get used to that after a week or so.  More confidence in cornering.  I was always a little skittish going too fast on some corners because of the sharp bounces I'd experienced.  Holds to the road much smoother.  I am very happy with this upgrade.  There might be a time in the future that I'll mess with the fine adjustments to get it "perfect", but for now I'm happy and am enjoying learning my limits on the bike again.

close up shock.JPG

shocks.JPG

hc_1614466351419.jpg

Edited by RacerXSD
additional info
  • Like 4

On 2/25/2021 at 1:27 AM, ejj75 said:

New Top Sellerie comfort seat installed. 

Spirit Beast LED daylight/brakelight/turn signal fitted

20210205_121756.jpg

IMG_20201026_204622.jpg

IMG_20201026_134530~2.jpg

How did you get the 2 t10 bulbs to light seperately from the main bulb? Mine just has all 3 running all the time, and from what I've read people discourage riding with the main headlight off during daytime. Thanks

Got my Hordpower intake on the bike yesterday while waiting for my ECU to get back from 2WDW. Planning to tackle my 520 conversion today. 

20210227_223945.jpg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Qays said:

How did you get the 2 t10 bulbs to light seperately from the main bulb? Mine just has all 3 running all the time, and from what I've read people discourage riding with the main headlight off during daytime. Thanks

2 x T10 and daylight (turn signal) are on all the time. Bike is switched on but it is not running in picture above. If bike is running head bulb light is on also. I have also auxiliary lights. They can be used with high beam only. All lights are LED's.

20210228_221632.gif

Edited by ejj75
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Qays said:

The two T10 come on when the key is turned on, but the headlight doesn't come on until you crank it up to save those watts for cranking power.

• Thanks 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

9 hours ago, ejj75 said:

2 x T10 and daylight (turn signal) are on all the time. Bike is switched on but it is not running in picture above. If bike is running head bulb light is on also. I have also auxiliary lights. They can be used with high beam only. All lights are LED's.

20210228_221632.gif

I see, yeah that makes sense now. Waiting for my Cyclops 10.0 to come in the mail with 2 other t10 led bulbs. Hopefully I will be able to achieve a similar result 👍

• Like 1

Finally finished my 520 conversion tonight, maiden voyage with the Hord and 520 conversion was fun. Bike is a whole new animal now. 

20210302_213723.jpg

• Like 7

9 hours ago, 208MT07 said:

Finally finished my 520 conversion tonight, maiden voyage with the Hord and 520 conversion was fun. Bike is a whole new animal now. 

What chain and sprockets did you use?

14 hours ago, seven said:

What chain and sprockets did you use?

Vortex front, Driven rear, and an RK 520GXW chain. 

3 minutes ago, 208MT07 said:

Vortex front, Driven rear, and an RK 520GXW chain. 

Stock tooth count?

15 minutes ago, seven said:

Stock tooth count?

Yep, didn't feel like messing with gearing yet. 

• Like 1

After nearly high-siding when grinding the stock pegs last time out at the track, I decided I needed some aftermarket rearsets to raise the pegs.

I managed to find some Vortex V3 2.0 for a good price near to me, so opted for those (would have preferred Woodcraft - they have a good track reputation but would have been a bit more $$). I was reluctant to buy a cheaper Chinese set as I'd heard too many quality issues (it sucks to sit a track day out due to a parts issue - been there before!).

The good:

• quality is high, nice machining and beveled edges where required, good quality hardware supplied
  • uses ball bearings on the shift and brake arms and good quality rose joints; shifting is tighter and feels more positive than stock
  • foot pegs can be mounted in a total of 16 positions (rotates 8 points around the peg's axis, 2 positions to choose from fore and aft)
  • toe pegs have a very large range of adjustability to suit everyone
  • the standard brake light switch spring fits (not so important for racers!)

The not so good:

• one of the washers supplied (and confirmed in the documentation) is not correct, if it were to be used the brake lever would not return satisfactorily. I had to source a washer that did work. I've contacted Vortex about this, I believe it's a simple error
  • to adjust the position of the foot pegs it's best to remove the rearsets from the bike to get at the locknut from behind, not a big deal when you've found which position is best for you, but not ideal either

Quite pleased overall, got a track day coming up in a few weeks to really try them out.

P1050543.JPG.5240c7b58b01ab7a496ec735cbfbe3c0.JPG

20210305_150512.jpg.3b7588c450cb4582a87a12dc4450ec10.jpg

20210305_150457.jpg.091dd31a73c9fdb605e4855aa8d9836f.jpg

• Like 5

Installed the CRG Arrow Bar End Mirrors with Rhinimoto Bar End Sliders. Looks much better now, did the install myself was kind of fun. rhinomoto_1_50.thumb.jpg.d2e071be6c5b7796046865f676b936e0.jpg

crg_1_50.thumb.jpg.7a09ea2d8256e58cd4e7565186683cbc.jpg

• Like 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Qays said:

Installed the CRG Arrow Bar End Mirrors with Rhinimoto Bar End Sliders. Looks much better now, did the install myself was kind of fun. 

Nice. I have the same setup and they're so much better than stock both in looks and performance.

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

9 hours ago, DewMan said:

Nice. I have the same setup and they're so much better than stock both in looks and performance.

That's cool, I had to mount them underneath the handlebars as the clutch lever gets in the way of left mirror visibility. I ordered some shorty levers so I guess its a temporary solution till those arrive 😀

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Qays said:

That's cool, I had to mount them underneath the handlebars as the clutch lever gets in the way of left mirror visibility. I ordered some shorty levers so I guess its a temporary solution till those arrive 😀

Yep, I had shorties already and could adjust them however I wanted.

• Like 1

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.