The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

After deliberating about it for a while I finally bought and fitted Hord's intake. This should give me  a bit more top end power I've been wanting at track days.

Removing the stock airbox is definitely not something I'd like to do again, it is fiddly in there with limited room to remove the throttle bodies.

20200923_163125.jpg

Edited by stickshift
  • Like 8

22 hours ago, stickshift said:

After deliberating about it for a while I finally bought and fitted Hord's intake. This should give me  a bit more top end power I've been wanting at track days.

Removing the stock airbox is definitely not something I'd like to do again, it is fiddly in there with limited room to remove the throttle bodies.

Took it out for a spin today - wow, what a difference the Hord intake makes.

Same power and torque that it had everywhere but much improved top end. It now eagerly revs out to redline.

Can't wait to get back on track now!

• Like 6

4 hours ago, stickshift said:

Took it out for a spin today - wow, what a difference the Hord intake makes.

Same power and torque that it had everywhere but much improved top end. It now eagerly revs out to redline.

Can't wait to get back on track now!

Bout time!

• Premium Member

Broke down and renewed  my registration online.  I Only rode one track day this year. It’s been a rough several moths with Covid, working from home 32 weeks, slow sales (work) and family issues.

I gotta get my head cleared with some street riding in before the season is over. 

Ed

• Like 3

"Do not let this bad example influence you, follow only what is good" 

• Premium Member
On 9/24/2020 at 12:01 PM, Evill_Ed said:

Broke down and renewed  my registration online.  I Only rode one track day this year. It’s been a rough several moths with Covid, working from home 32 weeks, slow sales (work) and family issues.

I gotta get my head cleared with some street riding in before the season is over. 

Ed

Okay, today I registered my son (on a SV650) and me for two track days in October. Really looking forward to this👍🏻

• Like 6

Changed oil, surprised how filthy it was after less than 1000 miles.  Turns out I need a new battery - the Battery Tender says it's full but it won't put out enough current any more.

Changed oil and tighten chain slack and also replaced the stock Fuji axel nut with the expensive Gilles nut. Didn't want any issues in the future with the Fuji, I plan to keep her for a while.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

My bike's been on the lift with the tank off for a couple months now since it's off season, at least for me, here in Florida.

I originally had it on the lift to install the Hordpower intake... then being the lazy man I am, I decided to do the install of some other mods I had laying around that I figured I'd best do now since the tank was already off or it'd be another 6 months or more before I'd have the opportunity again.

The Hordpower intake and the rerouting of the vacuum points for TB synch has been done for a month or so... 

but this week I completed the following installs so that I could finally get it back together and get it on the road since the weather is finally starting to break:

1) STS self cancelling turn signal module: Under the tank there is a little shelf next to the regulator/rectifier that's perfect for placing the small module. I used Delphi Weatherpack connectors instead of the supplied crimp connectors, where it wires into the turn signals behind the headlight, for a more weather tight installation.

STS.jpg.22b38b58ea98fcecfb4c04a46feeb9c9.jpg

2) Spiegler 5 line (ABS) brake line kit:  The BikeMaster Pneumatic brake bleeder made this easier than expected. 

I used the vacuum brake bleeder to empty the old lines which helped minimize the mess. I like that the single SS lines replace the multiple connections from soft lines to hard lines to soft lines, running from rear master cylinder to ABS unit,  with continuous SS lines. I reused the OEM banjo bolts since I'm just not that trusting of aluminum bolts like the ones that came with the Spiegler kit.

One note...after installing the front lines and bleeding the left (throttle side) caliper with the use of the vacuum bleeder, I found out the hard way that the only thing left to do is to manually bleed both the left (shifter) side manually to make sure there are no bubbles followed up by a final manual check of the right Caliper. I suggest 500ml/16oz bottle of fluid to complete the job if replacing both front and rear lines for the first time while you're working out a bleeding procedure that works efficiently.

2a: Spiegler Brake light switch: I lost the use of my spring operated switch when I installed rear sets last year so this was the opportunity I'd been waiting for.  This pressure activate switch replaced the OEM banjo bolt on the rear master cylinder and hooked up to the OEM switch connector on the wiring harness.

spieglar_switch.thumb.jpg.be6c3bde4d331110640ebad28153e8b2.jpg

2b) Vagabond rear brake reservoir relocation bracket:  You know I had to install this while I was doing the brake lines.

It's a tight fit with the Hordpower filter but it fits. The dings in the filter are not from installing the bracket.

vagabond.thumb.jpg.007f8614ee976917d9a7e16c1ccb9d55.jpg

3) Show Chrome Accessories Electronic Fuse Block: This allows me to have multiple individually fused full time (think alarm system) and key controlled circuits (think USB charger/GPS/extra running lights) without making a mess of my OEM wiring harness. I have my GPS and the STS turn signal cancellation kit both wired to it on separate dedicated circuitts with one more keyed and two full time circuits, along with the currently unused lighting add-on specific circuits, available for future use.  The only connection to the harness is I tapped into the rear running light (blue/red stripe wire after the harness to keep it whole) so the box would know when the key was off or on. I'd need to hook into addition wires if I want to control accessory lighting. Yes I straightened up the wiring before putting the seat back on. 

1707742175_ShowChromeAccessories.thumb.jpg.c0948208ee3f5842f73abc9053484a44.jpg

4) ZUMO XT GPS power hard wiring: I replaced the car GPS I was using with the weatherproof M/C specific model.  I need the GPS since I like to just ride wherever looks interesting regardless of the likelihood of cell signal and then using my GPS to find my way to home/Gas/food when needed. I ran this to the Show Chrome unit so I'll never have to worry about it running down my battery. Yes I could use my phone but I like the reliability of a dedicated unit and I still have my phone as a backup.

I'll be buttoning up the bike tomorrow after a final bleed check and then I'll be doing a test ride to see what I screwed up. Wish me luck. 

• Like 9

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

On 9/23/2020 at 9:41 AM, stickshift said:

20200923_163125.jpg

What system you had before? Stock? Or a KN / DNA? I use DNA air filter and DNA lid, and id like to see a video of a mt07 with an hordpower airbox pulling never saw a video of one running with that setup. So wirh the hord power each gear revs easier to the red line?

4 hours ago, Joaoduarte said:

What system you had before? Stock? Or a KN / DNA? I use DNA air filter and DNA lid, and id like to see a video of a mt07 with an hordpower airbox pulling never saw a video of one running with that setup. So wirh the hord power each gear revs easier to the red line?

Before I fitted Hord's intake I had the standard airbox, snorkel removed (with Akra ti and PCV). I'll try and get a video for you in a few weeks at a track day. Yes, pulls much harder to redline in every gear, I never used to bother going near the limiter now it pulls eagerly.

Edited by stickshift
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
On 9/24/2020 at 11:01 AM, Evill_Ed said:

Ed

Look after yourself, however you do that is up to you. I had a bit of a mental breakdown after a death in the family and just booked a full weekend at my local track back in july. I went solo and had a blast, I was super concentrated but not as stressed. Enjoy.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, stickshift said:

Before I fitted Hord's intake I had the standard airbox, snorkel removed (with Akra ti and PCV). I'll try and get a video for you in a few weeks at a track day. Yes, pulls much harder to redline in every gear, I never used to bother going near the limiter now it pulls eagerly.

I had the same set-up, no PCV, @2wheeldynoworks flash. I have the DB removed on the Akra-Ti (more TQ+HP) according to @2wheeldynoworks dyno runs on the bikes they used.  I can say from my point of butt dyno the difference is significant. She pulls hard every gear (2-6) I don't use 1st. I'm feeling it from above 6200-- to all the way I am willing to push it. My reasoning to buy it from @hordboy is it has been tried and tested many times with similar results, and it performs great.

I was going to do the pod filters myself but then I have no dyno time, no AFR charts, and I just felt I needed it for the track, where I was losing time at the top-end - but would also have lost time shifting on a non (QS) bike. I trackday ride at Hallett which is a small track that doesn't have long straight's.

I'll run it there again in the next couple of weeks and get a sense of where I'm at with the bike under Hord air intake. I will entertain the possibility of a 1 tooth up on the rear sprocket. If I find the 675's + 765"s cannot be beat no matter what on the straight's. I'm in no way fooling myself that the better Guy's and Gal's have me beat with/without performance parts on both sides. I'm certainly not fast, but the bike does make it feel that if I'm ready, it's go time........ Whatchyagot.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, fzar said:

Look after yourself, however you do that is up to you. I had a bit of a mental breakdown after a death in the family and just booked a full weekend at my local track back in july. I went solo and had a blast, I was super concentrated but not as stressed. Enjoy.

Thanks Fzar, my son and I had a great day yesterday at the track. Great Fall weather with lots of sun to warm the track surface. Spent the day with another good friend at the track and met a few more. I had a clear head and rode well, best day I’ve had in months.  

Sorry for the loss of your family member, these losses are very difficult, hope you are continuing to feel better.

Ed

First ride of the season.  Went up South Mountain where I met another rider whose smile was just as big as mine.

20201005_080858.thumb.jpg.6b12c7729931d3541263225c74d81557.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
On 10/5/2020 at 5:05 AM, Evill_Ed said:

Thanks Fzar, my son and I had a great day yesterday at the track. Great Fall weather with lots of sun to warm the track surface. Spent the day with another good friend at the track and met a few more. I had a clear head and rode well, best day I’ve had in months.  

Sorry for the loss of your family member, these losses are very difficult, hope you are continuing to feel better.

Ed

No problem. I'm glad you had a good day at NJMSP and with the turning of the seasons its feels great in my eyes to feel things change and makes me in tune with reality and living in general. Thanks for your condolences, I'm pretty much a (lets remember the good times) and I move on. Were all on the road to meeting it, I just try living in the now, plenty time for reminiscing  around the holidays and the like when it's cold. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Malkey said:

Bought a 2017 FZ09.  Removed the reflectors, put a number plate surround on and cleaned her. 

19E617EB-8A8A-4F30-9666-32A5898F943F.jpeg

Congratulations, nice looking FZ07. 

Welcome to the forum

Ed

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member

Today I:

Stripped her down to check the frame before I make a parts list. I had a wee get off Monday morning. I’m fine, bike not so much!!

DE7129AC-679A-4753-86FB-7E86F6AFF04C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, fzar said:

Today I:

Stripped her down to check the frame before I make a parts list. I had a wee get off Monday morning. I’m fine, bike not so much!!

Glad you're good. 👍

Hopefully the bike will be not be terrible to repair. 🤞

• Like 2

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

1 hour ago, fzar said:

Today I:

That's how we learn, both as riders and mechanics. Oportunity knocks. 😀

• Like 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, fzar said:

Today I:

That sucks, but glad that you’re okay

• Like 2

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, mossrider said:

That's how we learn, both as riders and mechanics. Oportunity knocks. 😀

I suppose so.... I know there's a positive spin in there, I just haven't seen it yet as I'm holding the (meter/dash) in my hand saying "how much for this!!!" Looks like after I parted company with the bike it did some ballet. Ohh well, it could be worse !!

"I just haven't seen it yet" aren't you holding the meter in your hand???? There's the positive. Jeezz I'm talking to myself. LOL.

• Like 1