The MT-07 Forum

What did you do to your Yamaha FZ-07 today?

Cruizin

~ ~ ~  " EPIPHANY "  ~ ~ ~

in my post above you might have noticed I said I have Renthal Ultra-Lows coming today....

I was out in the garage musing about how I was gonna mount them, cut off the ends, angle back, etc., and got to

looking at the rubber-mount brackets...and it suddenly hit me that mayhap I could turn them around...

so I did....moves the bars, (ANY bars), forward approximately 1.25 "  (rough measurement)....and because they are

mounted at a slight angle, they also go UP slightly....didn't measure that, but with the Ultralows it should be

damn near perfect for me, as I wanted them farther ahead AND lower......

cannardly wait til the bars get here now....LOL

thinkin' on it ,  somebody else has probably already done this.....

Edited by bugsinteeth
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Greg Gilbert said:

Vice gripped off the silly touch down pegs...longest ones I have ever seen on a bike.

Funny little story.   When I went to my MSF course 2 the instructor was surprised when doing the "peanut" I was dragging the feelers all the way round.  Was fun to drag them around, but they're long gone now. 

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Greg Gilbert said:

Vice gripped off the silly touch down pegs...longest ones I have ever seen on a bike.

Just an FYI: There are opposing flats on the feelers that will allow you to use a wrench to remove/tighten them that are located  just below where the threads stop. This will help keep them from getting scratched up better than using pliers. 👍

DewMan

Just shut up and ride.

Yeah thanks I saw the flats but the vice grips were right there. Didn't break them...just threw them in the trash.

Edited by Greg Gilbert
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bugsinteeth said:

in my post above you might have noticed I said I have Renthal Ultra-Lows coming today....

I was out in the garage musing about how I was gonna mount them, cut off the ends, angle back, etc., and got to

looking at the rubber-mount brackets...and it suddenly hit me that mayhap I could turn them around...

so I did....moves the bars, (ANY bars), forward approximately 1.25 "  (rough measurement)....and because they are

mounted at a slight angle, they also go UP slightly....didn't measure that, but with the Ultralows it should be

Well you just saved me from ordering a set of risers. Going to try this in the next few days. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Got my quick shifter working and took for one last ride till next year (quick shifter = 😁). Washed and topped off fuel and added stabilizer and put on stands. Started pulling front forks but have all kinds of time for my next project. 

• Like 3

Just now, 1tondriver said:

Got my quick shifter working and took for one last ride till next year (quick shifter = 😁). Washed and topped off fuel and added stabilizer and put on stands. Started pulling front forks but have all kinds of time for my next project. 

What did you finally figure out?  (Bet it was that pesky wire in the ecu block)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mossrider said:

What did you finally figure out?  (Bet it was that pesky wire in the ecu block)

You nailed it. The orange wire is the middle pin in a mess of wires. I kept doing their test with the multimeter until everything checked out good. I had to use a probe to get that orange wire seated deep enough but finally got it. This test is invaluable:

“The bike-side harness requires careful installation to insure a complete and error-free flash process. About 90% of the issues that cause error codes we see can be traced to a hardware connection problem. This test is more definitive than the software test interface that a lot of users have suddenly started trying to use after seeing it in a couple of posts; without the proper steps and looking at the correct data, all it does is confuse the issue.

This test is easy to do, and requires just a small jumper wire or paper clip, and a multi-tester.

Take the bike-side harness connector, and remove the weather-seal cap (or disconnect it from your USB Data Link cable). Looking at the face of the connector (opposite the side where the wires are inserted), determine where each color wire (there are four: Red, Orange, Yellow, and Black) pin is located. With your bike's ignition key turned off, use the small jumper wire or bent paper clip to jump the Red and Orange wire pins by inserting it into the respective pin locations on the face of the connector. Turn the ignition key on; if you hear your bike's fuel pump priming, that means you have a connection issue with either the Red or Orange wires (or both). Check them carefully to ensure that the pins are seated correctly (all the way into the connector, and that the crimped portions are facing up towards the connector's locking latch). 

If you don't hear the fuel pump, then turn the ignition key off, then jumper the Red and Yellow wires. Turn the ignition key on; if you hear the fuel pump priming, then you have an issue with your Yellow wire. Check its connections carefully. 

If you don't hear the fuel pump at that stage, take a multimeter and connect the Black and Orange pins. You should see a consistent 5V. Then connect the Black and Yellow pins. Again, you should see a consistent 5V. Anything less, or inconsistent readings, means that you have a problem with your black (ground) wire. Ensure that the eyelet is solidly connected to a metal surface on the frame; it must be metal to metal contact, no paint or clear-coated surfaces will allow a solid ground connection.“

Might help someone out in the future! I must say I was on the fence with the quick shifter but it is all grins, a lot of fun banging through the gears at WOT without letting off. I had a guy in a car ask me what the hell I was riding. Lol

Too bad weather here is going to crap...

Edited by 1tondriver
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member

Well it wasn't today, but this week I did 520 conversion (16-F, 43-R), Woodcraft rear-sets, ASV adj levers, bearings and oil seals on the way for the rear wheel rebuild and the swinger is coming off and being cleaned, rebuilt ,with AP dogbone included.

• Like 3

Not today, but on Sunday took a ~310 mile (~498 KM) ride and passed the 28,000 (45,000 KM) mark and currently have 28,150 miles (45,300 KM) on my bike. I'll have owned it for two years on Friday the 1st.

• Like 2

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

Pulled my forks before work so I can remove the DDC’s and install cartridges this weekend. 
One question, the O Rings between the fork tube and triple came out in multiple pieces on each side. Are these needed? If so I will get new ones but I’m not sure what purpose they serve. 

F2BD84A5-BB03-4875-9A79-1AD746E5805E.jpeg

5C24E20E-F433-475F-BC7E-C6BEC621D43F.jpeg

31 minutes ago, 1tondriver said:

Pulled my forks before work so I can remove the DDC’s and install cartridges this weekend. 
One question, the O Rings between the fork tube and triple came out in multiple pieces on each side. Are these needed? If so I will get new ones but I’m not sure what purpose they serve. 

F2BD84A5-BB03-4875-9A79-1AD746E5805E.jpeg

5C24E20E-F433-475F-BC7E-C6BEC621D43F.jpeg

No. It's a damper for the plastic forks covers, see #24 Bellow0_1.png.a7535dff9c187d1d85ffcda137ec3c11.png

Edited by mossrider
  • Thanks 2

• Global Moderator
36 minutes ago, 1tondriver said:

I think I misunderstood your question

Aorry

• Like 1

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

I lost that piece when i redid my forks and have been riding it since. 

On another note,  #22 when flipped upside down, is actually great for setting the bushings back into the lower fork tube.

• Global Moderator
On 10/16/2019 at 8:36 AM, bugsinteeth said:

There's only the issue of mounting the speedo when you turn em around

ATGATT... ATTATT, two acronyms I live by.

6 hours ago, sorkyah said:

There's only the issue of mounting the speedo when you turn em around

it mounts just peachy on the BACKSIDE   :)

far as I can tell 1Ton, they aren't needed nor are the aluminum "Tubes"  that  they are in...

have seen bikes without them , sooo.....

howz the cartridges working ?

1 hour ago, bugsinteeth said:

far as I can tell 1Ton, they aren't needed nor are the aluminum "Tubes"  that  they are in...

have seen bikes without them , sooo.....

howz the cartridges working ?

Thanks and still have to install the cartridges this weekend. Just got the forks pulled so far and broken down. Supposed to snow tonight as well...

I'm just gonn run what I got.....don't track it, and not a real "Spirited" rider anymore, so...

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, 1tondriver said:

Thanks and still have to install the cartridges this weekend. Just got the forks pulled so far and broken down. Supposed to snow tonight as well...

Leave the plastic tubes out.  Be proud that you are running Right Side Up forks.  :)  Those plastic pieces are there to mimic the look of USD forks, that's it. 

Craig Mapstone
Upstate New York

3 hours ago, bugsinteeth said:

I'm just gonn run what I got.....don't track it, and not a real "Spirited" rider anymore, so...

Yea if I wasn’t doing track days I would have left the DDC’s in, but what the heck let’s see the difference 🙂

2 hours ago, blackout said:

Leave the plastic tubes out.  Be proud that you are running Right Side Up forks.  :)  Those plastic pieces are there to mimic the look of USD forks, that's it. 

I think I will do that and celebrate old school technology 😛

Today marks 2 years I've owned my FZ-07. In that time I've put about 28,150 miles (45,300 KM) on it. I'm gonna shoot for 50,000 miles (80,470 KM) by the end of next year.

• Like 2

2003 Buell XB9R (2011-2011) Crashed
2009 Buell 1125CR (2011-2013) Sold
2015 Yamaha FZ-07 (2014-?) Current

308144.png

• Premium Member

Today the little ole scooter is getting a serious makeover 🤯... No hints till the parts arrive from overseas 🤪... Just arriving in time for my B-Day at the end of the month... 

• Like 2

2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition...2015 fj-09- 120whp- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich Race Kit- tuned by 2WDW